User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #691
Z_HARSH
Like margarine?

Oddometer: 465
Janis Joplin?

Alex, you should have given her a name like Madonna, or Tina, like Turner. She might have gone forever and you might not have totaled her out, what, 3 times? Instead you had to give her Janis, like Joplin? Live hard and die young, bad choice my friend. I just sold my '08, she only had 26k miles on her, you could have had the superior machine (for a KLR) with the 1mm bigger front forks and better breaks. Might not have snapped the frame at least.

I still have your # in my phone from the AK beach ride, I will txt you. Let me know if I can help.
SPREAD THE WORD, SAVE OUR SPORT!!
Z_HARSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:21 PM   #692
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
I know I don't know you, but by virtue of being friends with Alex.... is there anything that doesn't remind you of cack?
You know, I image googled the term in hopes of finding some clarification to the term. I was instead assaulted with numerous veiny imagery and am no closer to understanding the reference...

Live hard, Die young. I like that.
Parepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #693
Lee C
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parepin View Post
You know, I image googled the term in hopes of finding some clarification to the term. I was instead assaulted with numerous veiny imagery and am no closer to understanding the reference...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=487900&page=8
Post 110 That is cack
Lee C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:05 AM   #694
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,641
Laugh Janis... Janis.. Janis........................

Aaaaaaah Life..... ain't it sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Your on a roll Al

Hey Feike..... ya get back East ya look me up YFF, oK.
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #695
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,397
Don't get me wrong, as a mechanic, it's nice when people attach human emotions, etc to their machines. Usually after doing so, those people will proceed to spend insane amounts of money to maintain said machine, with a large portion of said profits going into my pocket.

Looks like I'm hanging in ID for the next week, than heading east. I expect a update to this ride report soon, Alex. There will be NO slacking allowed here, are we agreed? (I've got the slacker thing handled, we don't need more of us, thanks!) Jim, I'll try to get a hold of you late next week and see where you're at.

I plan on posting the "Dam Ride" chapter of this ride soon, as the first chapter in my report, "Don't let your mind wander-it's hard to find small things!"

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:32 AM   #696
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Cool2

I predict Al will let this thread simmer for a while..... since his last post was 666..........................................!

OK cool beans Feike I'm just across the Mackinaw bridge now... be back in PA by Saturday after I roll along the rest of the Great Lakes, then in a week and change I'm head'n up to Labrador. Be up there for probanly 2 weeks.

"Don't let your mind wander-it's hard to find small things!"

I like it.....Peace,
JJ
Old 08-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #697
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parepin View Post

Alex,

Put this in your Google search: "site:advrider.com cack"
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:34 AM   #698
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Fwiw, 'cack' is the perfect Englishification of 'shit' in Dutch, Flemish and Afrikaans - "kak". Like with English is describes negativeness. Zero insult/offense/negativeness intended to anyone or sundry but just saying, might have some origins here.

Glad to see Alex back busy posting here - and yes, I would definitely do a frame-swap, it would sort out the prime reliability. And, when I'd have a frame to swap I'd reinforce the by-now-known weak spots first, better safe than silly. The engine has got a bore kit on, I'd keep it.

I'll keep reading here, lurrrve this thread
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:24 AM   #699
NomadGal
Esther

Oddometer: 1,024
Hey Alex, found your RR, you gonna get that 84 KLR from Oregon? Maybe you can just use the frame and put the rest of Janis in there...........
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:26 AM   #700
NomadGal
Esther

Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
Aaaaaaah Life..... ain't it sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Your on a roll Al

Hey Feike..... ya get back East ya look me up YFF, oK.
Can I come and look you up too??
Slowly heading for Pennsylvania cause I keep dreaming about it. It must mean something .............
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:32 PM   #701
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmo View Post
Alex,

Put this in your Google search: "site:advrider.com cack"

I actually met Vermin at a bar outside of Colorado Springs during a rainstorm. My buddy struck up a conversation with him. I thought he was insane.

I was right.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #702
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
Who, pray tell, on this forum could be called sane?
Old 08-20-2012, 08:33 AM   #703
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
Can I come and look you up too??
Slowly heading for Pennsylvania cause I keep dreaming about it. It must mean something .............
Sure if I'm here when ya pass thru NG. Gonna go over Des with a fine tooth comb.... then head for Labrador asap.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #704
alcanrider
alcanrider

Oddometer: 113
What a great read

I have thoroughly enjoyed these ride reports, and took the better part of a couple days to read every post and stare in awe at every picture. I myself have been up and down the alcan at least 7 times, but never on a bike. I lived in Alaska off and on for nine years in Anchorage. It was cool to see and hear about a lot of the same places that I had visited. Alex, you actually have seen more of the Last Frontier than I did the whole time I lived there. I unfortunately had that job thing to worry about most of the time. I can't wait to get back up there, Florida is way to hot! Thank you and Jim for the awesome pics, and maybe someday we will meet up on the road somewhere. Until then keep your chain lubed and your smokage dry!
alcanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #705
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanrider View Post
I have thoroughly enjoyed these ride reports, and took the better part of a couple days to read every post and stare in awe at every picture. I myself have been up and down the alcan at least 7 times, but never on a bike. I lived in Alaska off and on for nine years in Anchorage. It was cool to see and hear about a lot of the same places that I had visited. Alex, you actually have seen more of the Last Frontier than I did the whole time I lived there. I unfortunately had that job thing to worry about most of the time. I can't wait to get back up there, Florida is way to hot! Thank you and Jim for the awesome pics, and maybe someday we will meet up on the road somewhere. Until then keep your chain lubed and your smokage dry!

I'm glad to hear you dig it, man. Alaska was a blast, for sure. It's weird to say, though, that after having ridden nearly every road you can ride up there, the last frontier has kinda lost it's mystique to me. Great scenery, good people, and remote rides for sure. But I've ridden roads locally, from Colorado, Alabama, and California to Vancouver Island, British Columbia, and Alberta, that can easily compare, and in some instances surpass, what I witnessed in Alaska. Now don't get me wrong, I'm glad I went there (twice) and would go back in a heartbeat, but it definitely put the rest of the country in perspective. People don't give the lower 48 enough credit. I've ridden nearly 60k miles just bouncing around borders, and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface.

Florida, I'm sorry to say, is not on my radar in the least. But I'm out there riding, and there's a fair chance that our paths may cross (not in Florida). Keep an eye out for Janis, and if you're lucky, I may just have one rolled and smouldering for any passing traveler to stop and enjoy the finer things. Just not in Florida.

Get out while you can.