User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2012, 07:40 AM   #706
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,130
so.... no FL. got it.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:14 AM   #707
NomadGal
Esther

Oddometer: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
so.... no FL. got it.
I'm guessing he don't like crocodiles! Imagine one sneaking up on you while snoozing in a tent!
Heading to Florida in a few months to see a friend, good thing I got a hammock, If I hang it high enough I hope the crocs can't reach?
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #708
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Oddometer: 5,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
I'm guessing he don't like crocodiles! Imagine one sneaking up on you while snoozing in a tent!
Heading to Florida in a few months to see a friend, good thing I got a hammock, If I hang it high enough I hope the crocs can't reach?

When I was wandering around Queensland heading towards Cookstown years ago I came upon a fantastic place to camp for the nite. Moments after stopping a few 6'+ lizards crossed the road head of where I had stopped. Didn't take me long to move along figuring that my tent would be no match for the locals in this area.

Good luck with your hammock.

Treadless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #709
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,343
FL does have the distinction of being the easiest way to get to the most Southern point in the contiguous US with a motorcycle...

And I ain't too worried 'bout no lizards. I need a new wallet anyway. After chasing off Mama Moose the other day I'm feeling somewhat invincible!

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:22 AM   #710
Feyala
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
I am reminded of the time you said you'd trade your bike for a ham sandwich. How's the repairs coming along?

How long you planning on staying in Colorado? When I mosey (week, week and a half? My to-do list is getting shorter daily) I am going to nip up to the olympic peninsula and then head down towards Cali, but a detour to Colorado could certainly be arranged.
Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:39 PM   #711
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer: 1,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyala View Post
I am reminded of the time you said you'd trade your bike for a ham sandwich. How's the repairs coming along?

How long you planning on staying in Colorado? When I mosey (week, week and a half? My to-do list is getting shorter daily) I am going to nip up to the olympic peninsula and then head down towards Cali, but a detour to Colorado could certainly be arranged.
While I'm a huge fan of the barter system, I'm more so a firm believer that "If you give a man a ham sandwich, you feed him for a day. Teach a man to ham sandwich, and...." er, no... wait....

Hopefully I'll be out of here by the end of the week. I've all the parts that I need for re-assembly, with the top end down at the local KTM shop that so many have recommended. I'm hoping I'll be able to re-use the piston, but I guess we'll see when I get the report back. Hopefully everything's within spec.

My gameplan, as much as it is, is to head out of here and down to Reno, where my buddy has some work for me. Hopefully that will carry me through to the end of September, where I'll cruise over to Phoenix, AZ to visit with some good friends and ride the sand until I just can't take it anymore. From there, I'll be cruising back towards San Francisco to visit a bit and serve some community service. I may have to detour from there up to Oregon to check out a parts KLR I got word of. Then back down towards San Diego to ride some more sand. I've some amigos down that way that like to talk a lot of shit... until I leave them behind, to eat my dust and dwell on whether or not to tell their friends they've been smoked by a thump. That's where I'm at now, anyway.

On a side note, I went to post an update and found that I've none of my older pictures on this computer. I went to offload them off of my external drive, and EVERYTHING is corrupt. Thankfully, I've a clone sitting on my shelf back home. Once it gets sent out to me, I'll see what I can do.
Parepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #712
Feyala
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parepin View Post
My gameplan, as much as it is, is to head out of here and down to Reno, where my buddy has some work for me. Hopefully that will carry me through to the end of September, where I'll cruise over to Phoenix, AZ to visit with some good friends and ride the sand until I just can't take it anymore.
I'm going to Wasteland Weekend at the tail end of September down in southern Cali, after that my tentative plan is to head eastish, probably visiting my folks in Phoenix.

I think the timing could work out. Ever been to Verde hot springs? That place is legit. There's also a really cool old cinnabar mine I've been to, but I'm nowhere near skilled enough to ride the jeep road up to it: http://alrock.smugmug.com/Offroading...55_etUzU-L.jpg

I haven't done nearly enough dirt riding since we parted ways.

Quote:
On a side note, I went to post an update and found that I've none of my older pictures on this computer. I went to offload them off of my external drive, and EVERYTHING is corrupt. Thankfully, I've a clone sitting on my shelf back home. Once it gets sent out to me, I'll see what I can do.
Boo! If you had time I'd say to fool around with some file recovery software, but I'm pretty sure that's not a priority.

Glad to hear you're doing well and good luck with the bike!
Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:20 PM   #713
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 836
Ham sandwich?

Give a man a fish ................. and he eats for a day.

Teach a man to fish ................. and he sits on his fat ass in a boat drinking beer and smoking crippler all day.

At least, that was my uncle's version of it.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:52 PM   #714
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,130
Quote:
My gameplan, as much as it is, is to head out of here and down to Reno, where my buddy has some work for me.
Hurry MF. Prevailing wage is a wastin.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #715
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer: 1,064
Now that I've got some time and a halfway decent internet connection, I thought I'd take a few and provide some photos, along with an update.

Here's where I broke down. That'd be Jettin Jim in the foreground. Not a bad place to break down, really. I forgot the name of the pass, but this is just coming into Marble, Co from Crusty Butte.

The game plan had been to push/coast the bike off the mountain. Seeing as I had killed it just coming over the pass, I figured it would be all downhill. I was very wrong, and as reluctant as I was to do so, I eventually accepted Zack's offer to load up and get back to civilization.

Back in Marble, I got dropped off in front of this BBQ joint. Good food and cute waitresses.

Now while hanging around and trying to figure out just what I was going to do about this whole situation, Jim struck up a conversation with a few local. Lee and Melissa, and their son Zeeland. Through a bit of networking, we were given the adjacent shop to the BBQ to use for the night. I tore in quickly and found was I pretty much expected to find.

You'll notice a wadded up screw jammed between the chain and the sprocket.

At this point, we knew we had a broken chain to deal with. The links looked fine, but the pin had sheared clean off. Jim and I spent the night looking around the shop in an attempt to find a suitable replacement pin. We looked at dril bits, nails, bits of chain, and randomness. In the end, and as the night wore on, I made the call. That'd be it for the night. Jim was looking to make it to the Big Dog Rally, and given the situation, I just told him to gear up and head out in the AM. I'd figure something out. And that's just what he did. Really, what else was there to do?

And so the next morning the owner of the shop, Matt, comes in. He takes one look at the chain and sets to work, opting to find a solution rather than banter.

With some scrap tool steel, he was able to throw the chain back together and peen over a pin. It actually worked out fairly well, and I was pretty confident this would get me back on the road.

I put it all back together and tried the happy button. Nothing. I checked the cams, nothing. I checked them one last time, then went to town with some starter fluid. One good POP erupted from the airbox, and I knew I was fucked. I wandered over to the BBQ joint and had a beer or two before returning with somewhat of a plan. I threw some gear in my packpack, along with my bedroll, and ditched everything else in the weeds across from the restaurant. I was going to walk out of here.

But first, a quick phone call to Lee to let him know where I was, per his request. He offered up a place to stay for the night, and I happily took him up on the offer. I grabbed everything except Janis, and jumped in his rig as he rolled on by. Dinner, a bed, and good company.

The next day he made a few phone calls, mere minutes after I posted up this thread. He had a friend in the next town over, Thad, who offered up some help. He came out and picked me sorry ass up, and we loaded up Janis before heading back to Carbondale.

And that's where I've been for the past three weeks. I thought I had a photo of the loft, but I was wrong. Anyway, here's the teardown.

Slightly out of spec...

It took the better part of three weeks to get all the parts that I needed, and to have the work done. An inspection revealed that the cylinder was 4 thou out of round, but that didn't leave any room to have the cylinder re honed. I elected to do what I could. New valves, a new piston, some rings. I got a new chain and guide off of some dude on ebay for a half decent price. I was pleasantly surprised how willing he was to work with me on splitting up his parts, he must be true rider.

I got 'er all buttoned back together (lacking a torque wrench) and took 'er for a 200 mile break in run. Everything's runnin good, although I still need to button up a few details. It's hard to get back to these little things once you've got a bike that rides, but it will get done.

And what a great place for a test ride!

Fuckin moon dust.

I pulverized a mesquite bush, driving a branch into the radiator.

Well... shit. So I sat back and took inventory of the situation. I had just jumped on this set of tracks and was in quite a ways. I really didn't want to turn around, and I sure as shit didn't want to fry the engine. Hmm... I thought back a bit, and I remember noting several years ago that some Radiator Stop Leak was simply cellulose. Pulverized plant material and whatnot. I considered grabbing some mesquite bark and seeing if I could crush it... no, that's just a bad idea. I'd heard that pepper packets work as a stop leak, but I was sure I had none of that...

So I stepped back and laid my jacket down on the dirt and began emptying pockets. This jacket had at least thirty or forty pockets, so it wouldn't hurt to look. With everything laid out before me, I began taking inventory. Hmmm.. nothin. No pepper no.... er... wait.

....... no......

.....could it.....

....I shit you not, the radiator leak stopped. I was able to put another 75 miles of dirt, sand, and moondust before returning to the compound without a single leak.

There's a story for ya. Remember that next time you thrash your radiator.

And that's where I'm at now. I'll be putting in another week here on the job and buttoning up the KLR, taking inventory, and waiting on paperwork from back home before heading out to Reno for another round of laboring for the man. If anyone in the Carbondale area wants to ride some time this week after work, gimme a holler.
Parepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #716
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,343

Like I said, I prolly woulda smoked the stuff & walked....

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #717
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,609
Thumb Superb!!!!!

FUCKING AWESOME!!! I about blew a gasket laughing when I saw the moondust comment... that shit has your number!

EXCELLENT FIX one fer the books!!!
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #718
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 612
"Honest Officer, it's 'Stop-Leak' "!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #719
pigpen
Gone Riding

Oddometer: 586
stop leak

Alex,

That could be some expensive stop leak in some parts of the country! Hope you saved a bit for later!
Good info to know how to fix the leak in the future.!

Having fun is not a sport! It's a full time job for some of us!
pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #720
AJxr

Oddometer: 922
still here watching from the sidelines. great story and thanks for the pictures. good luck in the future.

What would Magoo do?
AJxr is offline   Reply With Quote