Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2011, 10:25 AM   #16
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 4,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhgawee View Post
Any video avail of ya wrestling the pig out of the back of the truck
Out is never a problem. Getting it in is the challenge. Loading it in the snow in KC was a real treat.

Texas Hill Country Badlands and Black Hills Riding the T.W.A.T Photos
ajayhawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:37 AM   #17
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timboat View Post
Stayed one night in Bandera after buying a bike from a fellow inmate in Austin. Went into the "old town" part of Bandera and found an old texas bar complete w/swinging doors to walk through. Later, on my way out the doors, I found tied to the hitchin post near the street was a horse-next to it was a Harley (old school/new school) pretty cool site. Wish I had a camera at the time- just a good memory from Bandera. Believe Jerry Jeff grew up there. Anyway...... great report so far!
Jerry Jeff is a damn yankee...but a good musician. http://www.jerryjeff.com/EPK/ Check out his Bio on that page.

Sorry about the threadjack.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:45 AM   #18
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayhawkfan View Post
And a Mansion near Comfort,

Does anyone know anything about that place?
Thank you slowoldguy for information on the mansion. http://txgenweb2.org/txkendall/worth.htm

A few more pictures of the house:

Old 02-14-2011, 12:27 PM   #19
sprale
Tu ne cede malis...

Oddometer: 308
Thanks for sharing photos of your beautiful trip, you hit some of my favorite areas. Do us a favor though. Next time, wait until summer to bring that Midwest weather down here. I personally moved from Misery to get away from that nasty, cold, white stuff
Old 02-14-2011, 12:55 PM   #20
RetroG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
I wanted to visit my daughter and get away from the bitter cold in Kansas City so I headed south to Austin, Texas. I was going to ride but the day before I was to leave Mother Nature filled up the roads with snow and ice so I hauled my bike south.

I left Kansas City on Thursday, February 3rd and was to meet my daughter on Friday. This is normally an eleven hour trip but leaving a day early would give me plenty of time to stop at the Cowboy Hall of Fame and Museum in Oklahoma City and the Texas Ranger Museum in Waco, Texas. Because of the weather I would need the two days to get to Austin.

The highway was fine until Oklahoma City where I stopped to visit the Cowboy Museum. It was closed because of the snow and ice so I pushed on down the highway. From that point on the interstate was snow and ice packed. My speed got slower as I went south and the snow got deeper. It is not suppose to be that way. Texas is suppose to be warm.

I finally made it to Fort Worth for the night. The first place I tried to check in was $340 a night because it was the Friday before the Superbowl. I called around found Miss Mollys B and B. Im not a fan of B & Bs but its location was in the Stockyards area and the price was right. I checked in and when right to a late dinner. When I finally got to my room this is what I found.

Not large but it had its own bathroom but no TV. I was so tired not having a TV was not a concern.

The next morning I woke to this.

This is what I was trying to get away from and it followed me to Texas!

I continue on to Austin. Normally a 3 hour trip took 6 hours just to get to Waco, halfway between Fort Worth and Austin.

I discovered two things on my drive to Texas:

1. The state of Texas has no snow removal equipment or if that have it they dont use it.

2. Texans have no business driving in the snow. They go into panic mode with a little rain, add snow and they all become idiots. Texans, when it snows stay inside! You are not equipped to handle such stress.

Once in Austin, I had a great time with my daughter. We went to San Antonio Rodeo and Stock Show and saw Toby Keith in concert and I was invited to go to a Superbowl party in the company of 15 pretty young ladies.
I guess we could spend big bucks on snow removal equipment and have it available when this happens again around the year 2040! Not a common occurance.

As for "Texans" driving, you probably didn't encounter a dozen multigenerational (exludes new immigrants and their children) Texans between FW and Austin. Mostly northerners or Californians who moved here when their states went to shit. (No disrespect intended)

Looks like you had a great time! Sorry you didn't get to see the Cowboy Hall of Fame. It is one spectacular western art museum! I really like the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame, too.

I'm not a big Austin fan, though.
RetroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:03 PM   #21
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroG View Post
......As for "Texans" driving, you probably didn't encounter a dozen multigenerational (exludes new immigrants and their children) Texans between FW and Austin. Mostly northerners or Californians who moved here when their states went to shit. (No disrespect intended)
I think the northerners got around just fine in the snow. I don't know about the Californians.

I'll get to the Hall of Fame. I'm thinking of riding there sometime this spring. The Ranger Museum I'll try to hit next time I visit my daughter.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:04 PM   #22
RetroG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
I think the northerners got around just fine in the snow. I don't know about the Californians.

I'll get to the Hall of Fame. I'm thinking of riding there sometime this spring. The Ranger Museum I'll try to hit next time I visit my daughter.
That must explain the multi-car pileups we see on the news from Pennsylvania, Ohio, etc.
RetroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #23
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroG View Post
That must explain the multi-car pileups we see on the news from Pennsylvania, Ohio, etc.
Those damn Texans were visiting.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:08 PM   #24
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,219
I need to figure out a way to load and unload my bikes. Last time I hurt my back. Got 1/2 way up my ramp and remembers I have a 4x4...guess I need a ramp for my old butt also.
wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:58 PM   #25
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Feb 9, Day 3

Damn it is COLD according to the Weather Channel! I woke and it was in the teens and according to the hourly forecast the weather it was not warming up much today. Maybe today is a day sleep in, read a book and watch TV.

Well I tried to get more sleep but couldn't, turned on the TV but morning shows don't do it for me and my book was in the saddle bags so I get up and go outside. Damn it is cold, VERY COLD!!

I decide pack and ride anyway. A retired Fire Chief tried to talk me out of leaving while I was packing. When I started to leave the owner of the motel told me she was going to be gone for a number of hours but I should leave me motel door unlocked so I could get into a warm room if it is too cold.

I was very appreciate of their concern and told them I thought I would be fine and that I had good insulated clothing and heated gear.

It WAS DAMN COLD when I left.

Taking off down the highway did not help either. People either gave me a thumbs up or a double take that left a look in their face that said it all, that guy is crazy.

I started North Highway 335, one of the twisted sisters and turned off onto Hackberry Road and saw the most unexplainable thing the entire trip.

The boat is on the East Prong Nueces River. I don't know how that boat got there or why anyone would put one there. It is grounded in about 3 feet of water. There is a low water crossing above and below and the pool, between crossings is only about 1/4 mile long.

Here is a picture of one of the slick crossings up river of the boat, down river had the same type of crossing:

More pictures of the East Prong Nueces River:

Hackberry Road was a lot of fun. All the crossings were slick but I made it through them all.

Hackberry Road took me to another one of the three Twisted Sisters, Highway 336. They all have are fun twisty roads.

I turned off 336 to Bullhead Road. This was my favorite of the day.

I took a wrong turn and it took me to the top of a mountain and a beautiful view. It was a steep ride up and then down.

Around noon it has gotten to 36 degrees. I was back at Camp Wood and the route headed North. The further North I went the colder it got.

Cedar Creek was next. It had a lot of water crossings and was a lot of fun but with the temperatures so cold and being in a very remote area had me a little concerned. My riding pants were getting wetter and wetter with each crossing and the temperature kept dropping as I went North.

One crossing looked shallow but was almost 2 feet deep with a number of large rocks in the middle if it that I saw at the last minute. When I hit those rocks I stalled my bike and put my foot down in the icy water. I got it started quickly and got through it was very little water in my boots.

The route was to stop in Sonora which was further North. I noticed the next day's route went from Sonora to Del Rio on a highway. I decided to head south at that point hoping it would be a little warmer. It was it went for 33 degrees to 38 when I got close to Del Rio. It felt like a heat wave.

I was hoping for a neat place downtown but there was nothing.
I stayed at the Ramada in Del Rio and spent a little in the bar drinking margaritas. They were some of the best I have every had.

ajayhawkfan screwed with this post 02-14-2011 at 07:58 PM
Old 02-15-2011, 05:59 AM   #26
MSrider
Rebel with a sixfiddy

Oddometer: 4,271
Old 02-15-2011, 07:46 AM   #27
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for sharing great pics
Old 02-15-2011, 07:49 AM   #28
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayno View Post
Thanks for sharing great pics
Thanks Wayno, I have two more days of pictures.

ajayhawkfan screwed with this post 02-15-2011 at 08:11 AM
Old 02-15-2011, 08:03 AM   #29
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

can't wait
Old 02-15-2011, 08:24 AM   #30
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Quote:

I discovered two things on my drive to Texas:

1. The state of Texas has no snow removal equipment or if that have it they don’t use it.

2. Texans have no business driving in the snow. They go into panic mode with a little rain, add snow and they all become idiots. Texans, when it snows stay inside! You are not equipped to handle such stress.
You're right on both counts...most of Texas sees that kind of weather about once every 30 years...and nobody in Texas can drive worth a shit in snow and ice...most of us studiously avoid driving, if possible
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote