User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2011, 10:09 AM   #31
2whelman
addict

Oddometer: 645
nice ride

Nice report, I need to go down there this spring.................keep the pics coming....
2whelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:02 AM   #32
Rwells
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
How many closed gates did come upon? I would think quite a few unless you are familiar with the area.
Rwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:08 AM   #33
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,948
Nice pics. Looks like some great riding.

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #34
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 4,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwells View Post
How many closed gates did come upon? I would think quite a few unless you are familiar with the area.
I went through a lot of gates however most were push gates that I could push open with my front tire HOWEVER, the along route I took between Sonoma and Junction I opened and closed over a 1000 gates in about a 15 mile section (or at least it felt like it).

Texas Hill Country Badlands and Black Hills Riding the T.W.A.T Photos
ajayhawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:13 PM   #35
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

I woke to another day in the 20. By the time I got bundled up and headed out it was about 30 degrees and according to the weather forecast would get to the mid 40 with sun. The sun makes all the difference.

From Del Rio I head NW toward the Pecos River. The area is flatter then the Hill Country and houses are few and far between but it is still very pretty.

I make a stop at the Pecos River overlook.

This is where the Pecos River empties into the Rio Grande.

Next stop Bean's Place.

That original building served as a bar, pool hall and courtroom.

Bean called this building the Opera House it was really his home.

Eagles Canyon is not far from the Bean's

I headed north on Langtry Road.

Looking south on Langtry Road. Those mountains are in Mexico.

I then headed west on Arledge Ranch Road. This was my favorite road of day. About three mile in I came upon this.

I rode through the homestead because the road went through. I wondered if anyone lived there because I saw no signs of anytime life. Once through the yard I stopped to take another picture of the view from the homestead.

I start going again and get startled by a horn blowing. Keep in mind I have not see a car for miles and miles and hours so when I heard the horn I jumped. It was the ranch owner, Mr. Arledge. He stops me to ask what I was doing and where I was going. He was wondering because the road use to be public 30 years ago but is now private.

We talked for a while and I really enjoyed it and wish I had more time to have chatted.

I learn from Mr. Arledge that he was 83 years young and born in the house I just passed. He father started the ranch in 1909 and has been in the family now 102 years.

I mentioned how pretty I thought the area was. He said I should see it after a rain when it gets green but the area only gets 10 inches of rain a year so seeing it that way is hard to predict.

He also warned me to stay on the road. We were 18 miles from Mexico and a lot of drug smuggling goes on through there. Anytime he or his neighbors go into the bush they go armed. He had never had to shoot his gun but has used it to hold illegals hat broke into his home until the law arrived. He also said if I see anyone to "get on out of there-fast". The illegals will try to kill you because they believe you will turn them in and they have nothing to lose.

After telling me all that he says, "I hope you have good tires on that thing. These sharp rocks eat'm up and noone uses this road except him, border patrol and wetbacks." He tells me to stay by my bike if I have trouble. He would be along sometime during the day. My thought was, I hope he did not jinks me.

This was at the end of his 9 mile road:

There was no sign like that at the other end of the ranch.

Day 4 to be continued. Need to do some work.

ajayhawkfan screwed with this post 02-15-2011 at 05:52 PM
Old 02-15-2011, 02:37 PM   #36
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Judge Roy Bean has a very interesting history.

1. Roy Bean married 15 year-old Virginia Chavez in San Antonio on 10-28-1866. Their union brought forth four Beanitos: Roy Jr., Sam, Laura and Zulema. They also adopted a son named John. It was Roy's first and last marriage. They divorced around 1880 and Roy left her in San Antonio while he went South.
  2. In the pre-Langtry days in San Antonio, Roy Bean used to haul and sell milk. In order to increase profits, he added creek water to the milk. When the buyers started noticing minnows in the milk, Roy seemed as surprised as the buyers. "By Gobs," he said, "I'll have to stop them cows from drinking out of the creek."
  3. In 1882 Roy Bean was appointed Justice of the Peace for Precinct 6, (then Pecos - now Val Verde County). Roy Bean may have been a heavy drinker and a shady character, but he came highly recommended by Texas Rangers, who felt he "had what it would take" to bring the law "West of the Pecos."
  4. Bean enjoyed his tough reputation and he kept his kindness hidden. Throughout the years, he took some of the fines and much of the collected goods and gave them to the poor and destitute of the area, doing so without it being known. He even took monies collected in the Jersey Lilly, - his own trackside saloon and used them to buy medicine for the sick and poor in and around Langtry.
  5. Explaining why he had helped so many people, Roy Bean explained it this way to his friend: "Well Dodd, I haven't been any gol-dang angel myself and there might be a lot charged up to me on Judgment Day; and I figure what good I can do-the Lord will give me credit when the time comes." He was very sincere in this belief and it was the sum and total of any religious statement from Roy Bean.
  6. An owner of a Langtry restaurant owed Bean money and when he didn't pay, Bean waited until the restaurant was full, then he then took his place by the door and had each customer pay him for their meal. The last few customers paid the interest.
  7. Bean has often been confused with "hanging judge" Parker of Ft. Smith - (perhaps because their slightly unorthodox or creative sentencing). Bean never actually hanged anyone, although he occasionally "staged" hangings to scare criminals. Bean would prepare a script with his "staff" - if they were sober enough - which allowed for the prisoner to escape. Given this "second-chance" - the culprits never appeared before the court again.
  8. Bean never sentenced anyone to the penitentiary. If ANYTHING needing doing in Langtry - the prisoner would do it. If there was nothing to be done, the prisoner could take it easy by simply being staked out in the sun.
  9. Nearly everyone has heard the story of Bean fining a dead man $40 - the exact amount that in the corpse's pocket. Less known is the fact that the $40 bought a casket, headstone and paid the gravedigger's labor. He did, however, keep the man's gun for use as a gavel.
  10. Roy Bean died at 10:03pm March 19, 1903 after a heavy drinking spree in Del Rio. He returned home at 10 a.m. and died that night at 10 p.m. The real reason he died, was he simply lost the will to live. Bean could not adjust to modern times. The thing that sent him on his binge was the start of construction on a power plant on the Pecos River. He used to say that times were changing and he was being left behind.
From http://www.texasescapes.com/They-Sho...e-Roy-Bean.htm

Old 02-15-2011, 05:31 PM   #37
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,489
Beanito's
Old 02-15-2011, 05:48 PM   #38
MikeinSA

Oddometer: 3,736
75 deg and sunny today. There's a really nice desert flora display behind the Judge Roy Bean bar. It's nice to put names to all the different cacti I've fallen in over the years. Last time I was there a big Immigration bust went down. There were people from both sides running everywhere through town. It reminded Mei of one of those old Benny Hill skits. Great RR!
MikeinSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:14 PM   #39
whyknotboats
CRANK IT UP!

Oddometer: 510
You still on your ride or back in Austin? 75 all week here in the hill country off 1431 Lago Vista
whyknotboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:27 PM   #40
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyknotboats View Post
You still on your ride or back in Austin? 75 all week here in the hill country off 1431 Lago Vista
I wish I was still riding your weather looks great. I'm back in Kansas City, MO.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:45 PM   #41
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,550
When it snows in Texas, do what 90% of the locals do and stay home, build snowmen and eat chili.

The good news is the cold weather kept the lightweights off the roads.

Nice report, too bad you and the NFL picked the worst weather week in a while to visit. Oh well, shit happens. At least in Feb there's a chance the weather will be ok. If you come in August, well, its gonna be HOT.

Austin is the weird capital of Texas. Not everybody in Austin is weird, but they seem to have about 99% of all the weird Texans living there. I wouldn't mind living there, but the traffic is too much for me.

Good report.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:29 AM   #42
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Feb 10th, Day 4 Continued

Once I was off the private road I headed generally north along Pumpville Road. This area have few ranch houses and I almost never saw a truck.

Then I turned east on Fielder Draw Road. It is a very pretty road. However it looked somewhat familiar to to. I thought it had to be in my mind. I had only been West Texas once riding from BB to Austin, two years ago. What would the chances be that I would be on the same road?

Then I come upon this site, The Pecos River and I know I had been here two years ago on my riding trip. (This picture from two years ago.)

I get to Sonora where I planned on staying the night however it was not yet 3:30 so I decided to push on to Junction. My route said it was only 80 miles and half of that was on black top. I should be able to make it to Junction in a couple of hours. i was wrong! The gravel portion had 1000 of gates that needed to be opened and closed. The road was great but it took a long time to get through all the gates.

I finally made it to Junction after dark and back. As soon as the sun went down the temperature droped from 40 to 32 degrees in about 20 minutes.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:40 PM   #43
dogmoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Texas Hill Country

Thanks for the ride report and the pictures. It helps makes this long ass winter to go by faster.
dogmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:13 PM   #44
firebrick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 896
This looks awesome. Wonder if its too hot to do this ride in late june.
firebrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:58 PM   #45
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrick View Post
This looks awesome. Wonder if its too hot to do this ride in late june.
Very likely a hot and dusty ride then. Of course, if you're by yourself, the dust is less of an issue, but that won't help the weather. late Feb through early April are some good months down there. Fall (November for you yanks) can also be very good as well. Do it in August and you will have your sanity questioned.

For example, today is sunny and mid 70's here.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote