Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2011, 03:09 PM   #46
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 4,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrick View Post
This looks awesome. Wonder if its too hot to do this ride in late june.
Come to Kansas in early June and join the Flint Hills Stampede. http://www.backroadstouring.org/kansas/stamp_11.htm

Texas Hill Country Badlands and Black Hills Riding the T.W.A.T Photos
ajayhawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:29 PM   #47
firebrick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 884
Unfortunately my vacation can't be changed
Old 02-17-2011, 08:38 AM   #48
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Feb 11th, Day 5, Final Day Riding

I'm getting use to this, waking up in below freezing weather. It was in the high teens with I work so again, I took my time getting ready. By 9:00 it was in the mid 20's and climbing quickly. Left on the last leg of my trip.

The first half of the day was some of the best scenery and extremely enjoyable roads. At the end of the day, yesterday, was gate hell. Today I figured it would be the same but it was not, I did not have to get off my bike for a single gate.

County Road 412

It route had a number of water crossings. Crossing Little Devil's River:

Photos along James River Road:

I had read about the James River Crossing and I had also seen a number videos of bikes taking a nap in the middle of the crossing. It is a long, deep in places and slick river crossing and the bikes having trouble were much smaller than my pig. They also crossed in the warmer weather. If I got down there could be problems. Here is a youtube video of a bike having trouble. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ESar...eature=related

When I reach the crossing it looks to be a long way across but there is no turning back and into the river I go. A few minutes later I'm up on the other side. I slid a few places but never came close to going down. I believe staying on the pegs and not in the seat makes all the difference in getting a big pig across water. A lot of practice in KS does not hurt either.

Picture of the James Crossing after I had made it across:

View along House Mountain Road, east of Loyal Valley.

House Mountain (1828 feet):

From here I rode to Llano and then back to Austin. I had just enough time in Austin to load my bike, shower and meet my daughter for dinner at Bess Bistro on Pecan and then a few drinks at Little Woodrow's on 6th Street.

The next day I headed home to Kansas City.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:49 AM   #49
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,215
Thanks again, really enjoyed
wayno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:01 AM   #50
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Summary

Some basic information on my trip and route.

Order or trip:
Feb 07, 2011 brown 272 miles
Feb 08, 2011 dark green 223 mile
Feb 09, 2011 blue green 210 miles
Feb 10, 2011 light green 309 miles
Feb 11, 2011 blue 220 miles

Total miles based on GPS was 1234.

Thank you again Richard Gibbens for taking the time to create such a great route. I followed 95% of the 1100 mile route from Richards book "Hill Country Adventure". http://www.texasadventure.net/index.htm (His guide is a must have for anyone interested in Texas Hill Country Riding.) His route was fantastic and I would recommend it to anyone with 5 day's to ride.

On this trip heated gear was a must. I did not need it the first 2 days but it was a necessity all day Wednesday, most of Thursday and Friday morning.

I most likely will be heading back to Texas to visit my daughter on my bike next year in February. I am already thinking of riding the same route in reverse. A route always looks different when you ride it the opposite way.

I almost always ride alone so I travel with a "Spot". It give me a little comfort that I can get help if something goes wrong, it also gives my family comfort knowing where I am and friends can follow my progress (with envy). http://www.findmespot.com/en/

If interested in more pictures and the location of each shot taken you can check here: https://picasaweb.google.com/ajayhawkfan/TexasFeb2011#

I am also trying a new site that has a map, shows location of every photo and the GPX route. Please let me know what you think of this site. http://www.spotadventures.com/trip/view?trip_id=242375

Finally, don't let weather keep you from riding. Dress for it and go. You will have the roads all to yourself. If you wait for perfect weather to ride you will always be waiting.

Thank you for taking time to read my ride report.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:13 AM   #51
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayno View Post
Thanks again, really enjoyed
Thanks Wayne. Hope to see you at KC BBQ gathering soon.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #52
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,203
Good write-up and map overview at the end there.

We ride those Hill Country routes often, and more so each year on Richard's Texas Adventure Ride based out of Junction.

We set out to do the 1100 last year, but quit in Bandera due to heavy rains in the area for the time we set out to do the ride. Visibility was down to less than a mile so it wasn't worth it. I was in it for the views and the photography.

Props for doing the ride on a GSA and in the cold.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:30 PM   #53
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Good write-up and map overview at the end there.

We ride those Hill Country routes often, and more so each year on Richard's Texas Adventure Ride based out of Junction.

We set out to do the 1100 last year, but quit in Bandera due to heavy rains in the area for the time we set out to do the ride. Visibility was down to less than a mile so it wasn't worth it. I was in it for the views and the photography.

Props for doing the ride on a GSA and in the cold.
Thank you for the props. The cold was something to deal with but there was nothing to tough for a GSA.

I can understand giving up when you can't see the sights. Seeing the landscape is my number #1 reason to ride gravel and dirt roads.

When I do this ride again I will do it over 6 days. Almost all my pictures are from the saddle of my bike. An extra day would allow me to spend more time exploring the area and visiting with the locals.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:05 PM   #54
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayhawkfan View Post
Some basic information on my trip and route.

Order or trip:
Feb 07, 2011 brown 272 miles
Feb 08, 2011 dark green 223 mile
Feb 09, 2011 blue green 210 miles
Feb 10, 2011 light green 309 miles
Feb 11, 2011 blue 220 miles

Total miles based on GPS was 1234.

Thank you again Richard Gibbens for taking the time to create such a great route. I followed 95% of the 1100 mile route from Richards book "Hill Country Adventure". http://www.texasadventure.net/index.htm (His guide is a must have for anyone interested in Texas Hill Country Riding.) His route was fantastic and I would recommend it to anyone with 5 day's to ride.
Looks like a great route, except for that stretch on I-10. There has got to be a better way to cover that.

You mentioned you were on private roads earlier. Was that part of the route Richard had drawn up, or did you end up on that road by accident?

Good report, thanks for posting it. Enjoyed the photos very much.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:24 AM   #55
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed View Post
Looks like a great route, except for that stretch on I-10. There has got to be a better way to cover that.

You mentioned you were on private roads earlier. Was that part of the route Richard had drawn up, or did you end up on that road by accident?

Good report, thanks for posting it. Enjoyed the photos very much.
I was not on I-10. I was on a service road or a county highway that ran parallel. Much of the time I could not see the highway.

I believe the private road was part of Richard's route. I sent him the coordinates of the road and he was going to check. If it was on the route he was going to make the adjustment.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:56 AM   #56
Shakerattleandroll
Underacheiver

Oddometer: 153
Thanks for the RR, looks like you had a great time in spite of the weather. The pictures were great. Just goes to show you that there is an adventure right outside your door. Oh, BTW the history of some of the areas was a nice touch.

"Think about it Murray...If we could get this baby runnin', we could run over hikers, pick up females, chase down mule deer-man, we'd be the grizzlies from hell."

Restraint..."resisting the urge to point it into the crowd and mash the gas".
Shakerattleandroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:54 AM   #57
gagnaou
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,278
Thanks for the RR, it looks like a great ride!!!

501 FE Husaberg
1190 KTM adventure R
gagnaou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:41 AM   #58
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Oddometer: 832
thanks

A big thanks for taking the time to do a RR. The write up and the pictures were awesome. One more ride to add to my list... Thanks, Njoytheride
njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:07 PM   #59
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by njoytheride View Post
A big thanks for taking the time to do a RR. The write up and the pictures were awesome. One more ride to add to my list... Thanks, Njoytheride
I hope to do this ride in reverse next year. Come along.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:38 PM   #60
allroadrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Round the Bend

Hi
I just got back from Richards Round the Bend Rally and had a great time on some truly great roads he dose a great job
ARR
allroadrider is online now   Reply With Quote