Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2011, 06:28 AM   #31
YamaLink OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
No, it's a great all-around bike. The Arrow ti slipons weigh quite a bit less and I like the looks, and I've geared it down a bit for more snap. It's got a lot of torque, soul and good front brakes. I also upgraded the fork springs to Race Tech for my weight (170 pounds) and that transformed the front end.

Strangers have stopped their cars and gotten out to take pictures of the odd and cool S3. I think it's a somewhat rough and gruff old fashioned bike wrapped in current year styling. I only paid $8900 brand new out the door with the Arrows so dollar per performance it's great.

I just want more unsensible narrow minded stupidity. Maybe I'll get a 2011 WRX 5 door and mod the heck outta it and keep the S3 as my solo street bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterjunkie View Post
I recently got the bug for something more performance oriented and bought a Speed Triple....I'm I gonna want someting faster than that? I'm worried about my license now....(I'm a whippersnapper at 40......and a half!)
YamaLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:03 AM   #32
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
Just what I thought.
Still crazy memories of my K5 GSXR-1000 which would go over 90 in 1st gear!
My RC51 is a baby in comparison. Also despite the talk of low end grunt with the v-twins, the GSXR engine was easier on the track because I had another 3000 rpm to play with so less shifting.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #33
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,684
Last time I started to really wind up my SD an alarm bell went off in my head. Backed out of it quick, rounded a turn at a little over 60 in a 55 and there was a state trooper.
He didn't even look at me going 5 over, but would of at 55 over

Still don't know why my spidey sense was working so well that day, but I'm glad it was.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:31 AM   #34
vernon dent
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaLink View Post
Younger and more flexibile without knowing the definition of cramping saw me being a sportbike wannabe streetracer. I didn't cross the line of leather jacket with a big number on the back or slapping a girl on the back with her tramp stamp and whale tail high in the air, but I was close to that poseur. Age and wisdom saw me on more upright rides like a Vmax or Street Triple.

So I don't know why a CBR1000RR or BMWS1000 are being tested today. Something in me forgets why a short uncomfortable high rpm repli racer is not my cup of tea. I think it's the power to weight ratio and me thinking a sub-2 hour ride wouldn't be that uncomfortable.

Not a track within 7 hours of home. But many dealers hawking these hyper powerful bikes to unknowing 20 somethings and guy much older who should know better.
bro,
i'm 55 years old. have owned beau coup jap liter bikes. a couple of years ago i owned a bandit 1200, a zrx1100 and a zrx1200. wanted to like them, but just not cutting edge performance wise. i don't rail corners anymore but i want a bike that takes my breath away when i pin the throttle. almost bought a mint low mileage vmax too, but its performance seems a little soft nowdays. those bikes didn't do it. last december i got a smokin' deal on this bike with 5,000 miles on it.

not an uber sport bike but petrifying performance. the few short rides i've been able to take during this shitty winter make me think i'm happy with my choice.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:37 AM   #35
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC. View Post
Not to jack the thread, but what's "uber cheap" for a Super Duke these days? Cause I can't believe it.

I'm betting my dealer will let their white 08 new leftover doorstop go for under $10k. Used they have been selling in the $7k range with low miles and some with Akras. For a $14k bike thats pretty cheap IMO!
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:23 AM   #36
Terrytori
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
You sound like you need a Super Duke test ride, uber cheap these days too.
+1

Thrills without the pills. Have a it.

Terry

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:16 PM   #37
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
I'm betting my dealer will let their white 08 new leftover doorstop go for under $10k. Used they have been selling in the $7k range with low miles and some with Akras. For a $14k bike thats pretty cheap IMO!
Mine was $7500 for an 07 with not many miles. Has Akras, remap, a few other goodies and I got a new set of 2CTs installed as part of the deal.

Was owned by a fellow inmate who took VERY good care of it.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:41 PM   #38
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,314
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenScummyTroll View Post
2011 Ninja 1000? Allegedly has the midrange "whoa!!" that you're looking for, with good handling and relatively non-punishing to ride.

I don't own one, but it sounds like you might be the target demographic.
+++ 1000
If the money were there, the bike would be in my garage already.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:57 PM   #39
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaLink View Post
Younger and more flexibile without knowing the definition of cramping saw me being a sportbike wannabe streetracer. I didn't cross the line of leather jacket with a big number on the back or slapping a girl on the back with her tramp stamp and whale tail high in the air, but I was close to that poseur. Age and wisdom saw me on more upright rides like a Vmax or Street Triple.

So I don't know why a CBR1000RR or BMWS1000 are being tested today. Something in me forgets why a short uncomfortable high rpm repli racer is not my cup of tea. I think it's the power to weight ratio and me thinking a sub-2 hour ride wouldn't be that uncomfortable.

Not a track within 7 hours of home. But many dealers hawking these hyper powerful bikes to unknowing 20 somethings and guy much older who should know better.
Its good that you still got the fire burning strong. If you can't rent one, buy it and get yourself the biggest tank bag you can find than stuff it with memory foam, add more foam on top of it if needed and covered it to look stylish, anchored it well and you good to go, don't fall asleep now and the ABS and Traction Control will help get you home.

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:20 PM   #40
sweeney todd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Like a lot of folk in here I lust after many types of bike and have owned a few.

Dropped bars and my preferred long two up trips was getting a bit old tho'.

I'm inbetween with the Busa. 30 kees heavier than a supersport but tons lighter than 'touring' alternatives. I banged a set of LSL yokes on, added a renthal bar that gives me a 'flat' riding position and, several years later I'm still happy with it.

So much so that despite my lust for many other types of bike I get on the old girl, polish of a long tour and put my chequebook away again.

By all means go for the sportsbike but if it gives the old bod some jip consider higher bars and you'll have a light bike with excellent performance and loads of luggage options for a more than reasonable price.

Fortunately my knees are good so I've remained extremely comfortable on my present setup and my hips do prefer a 'rearset' riding position rather than having to haul 'em up parallel with the ground.

Doing some relatively minor mods has done nothing to put me of supersports bikes indeed I'd love a Gixxer 1K to add to the stable
sweeney todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #41
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,012
...did anyone mention the 1999-1005 BMW R1100S?
Highly underated by some, but sorely loved by some of us that are getting gray...

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:05 PM   #42
bjorn240
Good with a map!

Oddometer: 301
A fantastic bike, but about as far away from a current liter bike as I can imagine. My little FizzyStix will run rings around an R1100S. What was it SCQTT said about his - all looks, no go.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #43
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,301
My riding buddy is 64 and wheelies his ass off on his S1000RR and his Gixxer 1000.

To quote tee-shirt philosophy, "you don't stop riding because you get old, you get old because you stop riding".

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:14 AM   #44
misinformed
n00b

Oddometer: 3
After almost 20 years on a BMW, then cruisers for the last 5, I just bought a new ZX-14 for my 50th birthday. Smartest purchase ever.
I'll never experience its limits in either acceleration or handling , but who cares? It's the most fun I've had on two wheels since I rode my first minibike.
misinformed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:24 AM   #45
leeinmemphis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
I was in the same boat as you. I'm starting to get a little older and have had a few health problems with my hands(long story) but I was getting to the point of where I was wanting something that was fast and could get my heart going if I wanted. I put up a few wanted to buy ads on craigslist(for cbr900rr, 929, 954's) and within a few days I had a great looking XX Blackbird in the garage with 12k miles for $3500. I didn't want to spend uber $$$$ on a newer one but still wanted something I could play with but not feel bad about sitting in the garage and not being used. There are some real deals out there on sportbikes. I really had my heart set on a 929 but am very pleased with what I picked up instead. Around here the large displacement sport bikes are fairly hard to find that haven't had the crap beat out of them or need some major work.
leeinmemphis is offline   Reply With Quote