Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2011, 08:29 PM   #61
Bugtussle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Heres a good one >>> ................o&o...............

2013 Vespa GTS 300ie Super
Bugtussle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:43 AM   #62
Dave W.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Everyone, and I mean everyone should own at least one bike with way too much power and speed at least once in their motorcycle life.

What ever you choose there is nothing that can replace being wide open through the first four gears of a powerhouse sport bike.

Ive settled down now but I lovingly reflect on those hooligan days of motorcycling when I was younger.
Dave W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:23 PM   #63
vernon dent
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
bought this 97 cbrxx1100 blackbird from the original owner. 7800 miles, $3k. not a mark on it. half a tick behind the new liter hyperbikes but a quarter of the price. good way to find out if you like one.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:29 PM   #64
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis power View Post
bought this 97 cbrxx1100 blackbird from the original owner. 7800 miles, $3k. not a mark on it. half a tick behind the new liter hyperbikes but a quarter of the price. good way to find out if you like one.

Don't forget that, in addition to costing way less and being nearly as fast as modern supersports, you can ride the 'Bird all day comfortably and not need to be unwrapped like a pretzel at the end of the day.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:07 PM   #65
leeinmemphis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilNinjaDog View Post
Don't forget that, in addition to costing way less and being nearly as fast as modern supersports, you can ride the 'Bird all day comfortably and not need to be unwrapped like a pretzel at the end of the day.
I bought one of these('98) as well and must say I love it for the $$$$. The only thing about the bike is that my knees are up a little high. I have bought a used set of peg relocators and hope it will fix that for me. To me for the money there are a bunch of GREAT deals on very slightly used bikes. I gave $3500 for mine with 11k miles. Another benefit of these great deals is how inexpensive the insurance is. I was surprised that mine is $120 for full coverage.

'06 Honda Silver wing
'86 Honda Elite 150 Deluxe
leeinmemphis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:38 PM   #66
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis power View Post
Wow!! That is a bargain!!
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:02 PM   #67
MJZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
JUST DO IT!!!!!!
I'll be 60 in November and I can tell you it will put a hell of a smile on your face. After many many years on Harley's a few years ago I went with a friend to demo ride a K1200R and a K1200S. When he tried to get on the K1200S I thought he looked like the pain had to be terrible but when he got back he was smiling like a drunk monkey. I then got on it, did about 25 miles of smiles, when I got back I asked the salesman how much will you give me on my 2003 SE Road King. Without saying a word I pulled out my checkbook and I've never regretted for a minute. At that time I also had 2 other Harley's in my garage and within a couple of months I sent them the way of the Road King. Now I split my time between a S1000R (best bike I've ever owned) and a F800R. I did put Helibars on the S1000R and I live for the regular 300-400 mile twisty sport rides on her. BTW, I'm 5'10 w/32" inseam.
2014 BMW S1000R
MJZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:19 PM   #68
e.t.
Certified User

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJZ View Post
JUST DO IT!!!!!!
I'll be 60 in November and I can tell you it will put a hell of a smile on your face. After many many years on Harley's a few years ago I went with a friend to demo ride a K1200R and a K1200S. When he tried to get on the K1200S I thought he looked like the pain had to be terrible but when he got back he was smiling like a drunk monkey. I then got on it, did about 25 miles of smiles, when I got back I asked the salesman how much will you give me on my 2003 SE Road King. Without saying a word I pulled out my checkbook and I've never regretted for a minute. At that time I also had 2 other Harley's in my garage and within a couple of months I sent them the way of the Road King. Now I split my time between a S1000R (best bike I've ever owned) and a F800R. I did put Helibars on the S1000R and I live for the regular 300-400 mile twisty sport rides on her. BTW, I'm 5'10 w/32" inseam.
That is how you do it right there - Life is too short and there are too many good bikes out there waiting for the right person
e.t. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:45 PM   #69
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc2wheel View Post
IMO, best value for your money, for a liter-class supersport..

There's a real nice example for sale in the Bikes section...

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:04 PM   #70
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,484
I am 50 and got a 2011 Ninja 1000. I have 200 break-in miles logged on it. I rarely buy new bikes, and I have to say that refurbishing my brother's 1980's 900 Ninja really got me excited about looking at the new 1000 Ninja. Not only am I breaking in the bike, the Bike is breaking me in!
I am having to re-map my brain cells to get accustomed to the tremendous torque and instant power, that can put me into the rear end of a car, in the time it takes to do a head-check before changing lanes. When I start getting into the meat of the power band, I plan on having a totally clear road ahead of me and the bike will have my full attention.

I rarely buy new motorcycles, and am a big Buell fan, so I was concerned that the 1000 Ninja would not have enough personality to keep me interested in it. A bike has to excite me when I am riding it, or while I am sipping a beer and just looking at it when its parked. The Ninja does both! The motor feels a lot like the Buell 1125 CR, tons of torque from idle to the sky! My Buell TT is super exciting to ride and a very visceral experience, if not a bit quirky. The Ninja is super capable (like the TT) on rough narrow county roads. It was not phased one bit by cattle guards, pot holes and rough roads, and it flicked through the turns super easy.

The riding position, fairing, motor and handling really sold me on this bike. I wanted a bike that would gobble the miles with utter reliability, no stress, and comfortably. My Buell S3 has a similar riding position and wind protection, but I am tired of wondering if an engine temp sensor is going to fail, muffler bracket breaking, or a belt going south. Don't get me wrong, I still love my Buells, but my 08 KLR 650 sold me on Kawasaki's reliability.
I would have liked better passenger accommodations and a better seat on the Ninja, but then it might not have been quite as sporting a bike. I also like the one piece cast frame with no welds at key points like the swing arm mount. Combined with the body work that attaches without visible fasteners, give the bike a super clean look, very sculpted and seductive! I don't mind the Ninja sticker either as it is a nod to is roots.

Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:11 PM   #71
OrangeOkie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
This is the bike that started it all with me when I was 52 . . .

MotoGP and aprilia led to an SL mille Falco . . .

Which led to "The Doctor" . . .

Which led to "the doctor!"

Which led to the gentleman's sport bike . . .

Which ultimately led to complete happiness and contentment at age 58.

OrangeOkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:48 PM   #72
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,272
Nice post, Orange...

I must say, that last Guzzi of yours is a truly stunning beauty.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:09 PM   #73
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,132
I like the V11 too...they are so beautiful. I wish they were still available.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:37 PM   #74
Brian 250
Captain Insane-O

Oddometer: 66
I'd say the OP would be suited pretty well to a Hayabusa or ZX-14. Maybe even a CBR1100XX. Those bikes have stunning performance and are quite a bit more comfortable than the crop of liter superbikes.

Naked bikes like the Speed Triple are great (I had one and absolutely loved it), but they don't give you the "I'm going to shit myself" rush that a modern i-4 superbike offers.
Brian 250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:12 PM   #75
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian 250 View Post
, but they don't give you the "I'm going to shit myself" rush that a modern i-4 superbike offers.
I agree.

Nothing, NOTHING, NOTHING can equal the "holee chit", eyeballs going out the back of your head sensation of a modern liter bike with the throttle pinned in 1st and 2nd gear.

Remember when they would do the jump to light speed in Star Wars? That is what a late model 1000cc sportbike feels like when you drop the hammer.

BTW, I'm on the far side of 55 myself and I'm kinda' eyeing the S1000RR or the K1300S. We only live once.........
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is online now   Reply With Quote