ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional Forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2014, 12:54 PM   #1
1CylThumper OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Cool2 Shout from Northern Ky

Hey yall. Noob to the forum, first post in fact! Just wanted to Post and introduce my self. Name is Darrell Duncan, 24 from Northern ky. Current member of KY ARNG, 31B Military police. Joined this in hopes of going on awesome adventures, meet fellow enthusiasts and learn things, See things, Shoot the bull etc. Oh.. part that matters, current bike is a 2013 dr650. Airbox mod, fmf q4, jet kit. Other than that she remains the same. But not for long. To many mods listed on here to not satisfy my need to tinker! Look forward to making friends, and awesome adventures. Cheers all.
1CylThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:43 PM   #2
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
Hello. I am one county over, in Pendleton Co. And I am twice your age and no longer ride anything but street. But I do ride, a lot. There are several members of the forum that are from the NKY and Cincy area, and also several from central KY. Being where you are, I would suggest checking out the Cincy area DS riding thread first. Very active group that does lots of riding.

Welcomed to the site...looking forward to meeting you.

Patrick
patmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:30 PM   #3
1CylThumper OP
n00b

thank you

Thanks Patrick. Nice to meet you. (I should I have put this in the intro, but I go by D.j. *whoops*). Nothing wrong with street riding. That's basically all my Dr has seen in the couple years I've owned it. However, I'd really like to get it off road and use it for what I bought it for. Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely check out other threads!
Old 12-30-2014, 10:08 AM   #4
LexLeroy
Chief Mansplainer

Oddometer: 2,595
Welcome to the asylum. Here's a link to the KY DOT maps page. The "Local Roads" app. highlights unpaved roads here in KY.

http://transportation.ky.gov/maps/Pages/default.aspx
Old 12-30-2014, 06:36 PM   #5
1CylThumper OP
n00b

Thanks for the reply! I'll be checking those maps out for sure. I'm really disappointed honestly at the lack of gravel roads and suitable places to just explore. Seems like all the land is privately owned.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:43 AM   #6
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CylThumper View Post
Thanks for the reply! I'll be checking those maps out for sure. I'm really disappointed honestly at the lack of gravel roads and suitable places to just explore. Seems like all the land is privately owned.
One of the reasons I sold my KLR.....just nowhere real close to find much gravel. However, over in SE Indiana, Switzerland County, you will find some, and also down around Madison, Ind. Neither of those are to far from Grant Co. But a bit more of a hike for me.
patmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:12 AM   #7
LexLeroy
Chief Mansplainer

Quote:
Check the Daniel Boone Natnl. Forest, as well as to the south and east of that. You're right, however - KY DOT does a good job of covering the state w/ asphalt. But here's something just north of Frankfort to get you started.

A little something to the SE of Irvine.

And some nice gravel down by Bald Rock Fork SW of Zachariah.

The gravel roads are shown in dashed blue/white. One of the problems here is that you need to dig to find the roads and then cover lots of pavement to get to them. It makes tire selection... interesting.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:32 AM   #8
1CylThumper OP
n00b

Yea, I love my DR. I thought about getting another set of wheels for it dedicated to street riding, and have a set of t63 or something similar on one wheel set. Thanks for the maps! Ready for it to warm up so I can put some more miles on 'er.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:50 PM   #9
LexLeroy
Chief Mansplainer

Quote:
Yea, I love my DR. I thought about getting another set of wheels for it dedicated to street riding, and have a set of t63 or something similar on one wheel set. Thanks for the maps! Ready for it to warm up so I can put some more miles on 'er.
One of the locals down here runs Kenda K270's on his KLR650 and goes EVERYWHERE with it. I feel like a total tool when I show up on my knobbie-shod XRL and he flat runs away from me - on pavement or dirt.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:55 PM   #10
1CylThumper OP
n00b

Awesome I'll check those out as well. I really can't wait for it to warm back up. Hoping to find some people around my area to ride with. Go on short trips. Currently I have no riding buddies