ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #751
toadl
toadl

Oddometer: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride-til-sore! View Post
I know you guys that ride up there all the time maybe a little bored with the trails, but not sure why someone would ride all the way up the Northshore and then ride 60 miles away to ride somewhere else?
I hope to see some nice back roads up off the shore this weekend.
Just a cool destination with the chance to do something more technical. Mostly because with 30 riders I think it would be a good idea to break up into smaller groups. It's not always exciting to ride in the middle of a dust cloud. Besides 60 isn't that far. I won't be suprised to do over 800 miles this weekend. Notice some of Jwalter's suggested routes are almost 300 miles (the first one listed goes right by the park). There will be plenty for every one to do and a lot of time.
I think with your dr650 you will really like the riding. It's a better ride for this then my DRZ, just don't skip any gas stops and lube your chain before you head up.

Who's stopping at Aerostich and when.
CaptJerry
Hipster
Johnnywalker

toadl screwed with this post 07-10-2012 at 09:15 PM
toadl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #752
Francis11
Gbusk

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by toadl View Post
Just a cool destination with the chance to do something more technical. Mostly because with 30 riders I think it would be a good idea to break up into smaller groups. It's not always exciting to ride in the middle of a dust cloud. Besides 60 isn't that far. I won't be suprised to do over 800 miles this weekend. Notice some of Jwalter's suggested routes are almost 300 miles (the first one listed goes right by the park). There will be plenty for every one to do and a lot of time.
I think with your dr650 you will really like the riding. It's a better ride for this then my DRZ, just don't skip any gas stops and lube your chain before you head up.

Who's stopping at Aerostich and when.
CaptJerry
Hipster
Johnnywalker
I'm all for the Gilbert OHV area!! If not this weekend, I need to get up there soon. I like the technical stuff.
Francis11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:41 AM   #753
tommymerle
advwanabee

Oddometer: 329
Last year broken clutch cable. This year lost my front sprocket. I have to do the Grand Marais Art Festival anyway. Stop in to see me if you come to town for pie with Mike.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #754
Ride-til-sore!
still 20 in-my-mind

Oddometer: 380
Well here is the upcoming forecast for the Dig for Grand Marais. A heck of a lot cooler then down here in Silly town Thursday!

Thursday
Clear in the morning, then partly cloudy. High of 82F. Winds from the SW at 5 to 10 mph.

Thursday Night
Partly cloudy. Low of 61F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of rain 20%.

Friday
Partly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm and a chance of rain. High of 79F. Winds from the South at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Friday Night
Partly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm and a chance of rain in the evening, then mostly cloudy. Low of 61F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of rain 20%.

Saturday
Partly cloudy with a chance of rain in the morning, then overcast. Fog early. High of 75F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of rain 20%.

Saturday Night
Mostly cloudy with a chance of rain in the evening, then partly cloudy. Fog overnight. Low of 59F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of rain 20%.

Sunday
Partly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm and rain in the afternoon. Fog early. High of 82F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of rain 20%.

Ride-til-sore! screwed with this post 07-11-2012 at 01:07 PM
Ride-til-sore! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #755
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,194
So hour many hours until the Shindig?

Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #756
arrowhead rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
I don't think I would worry about that extra few ounces of wheel weights. looks like you shed a few pounds elsewhere!
Old 07-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #757
Snomore
Northwoods Rider

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowhead rider View Post
I don't think I would worry about that extra few ounces of wheel weights. looks like you shed a few pounds elsewhere!
I'd say that is the anorexic look.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:17 PM   #758
toadl
toadl

Oddometer: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
Does this mean your not going to have the 300cc piston and pumper carb installed for this weekend.
toadl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #759
MikeS
Motorcycle hacker

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis11 View Post
Do I need my passport?
No passport needed for the rides planned, as far as I know.

I was just talking to Arrowhead, and talking about routes/maps/gps. My suggestion is bring a forestry map of the Superior National Forest, or gps, or the multi page Minnesota map/atlas available at many gas stations. It looks like the Saturday ride will be organized in a way to make sure folks don't get too lost, but you never know. I'm a "I want to know where I'm going" rider, so if you're like that, a map will be helpful. Arrowhead mentioned having groups based on pace and "flower sniffin" attitudes.

There will be the opportunity to make a "road book" with turns written down, as an option or suppliment to a map or gps.

Arrowhead has a great route planned, with some fun narrow roads, plus plenty of good gravel roads. We will cross over "heartbreak hill, will get to see some nice overlooks above the Pigeon River, along with the site of the "outlaw bridge", the first border crossing between Minnesota and Ontario. Nothing too glarly.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:42 PM   #760
bikergirl4ever
girlie girl

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post

Arrowhead has a great route planned, with some fun narrow roads, plus plenty of good gravel roads. We will cross over "heartbreak hill, will get to see some nice overlooks above the Pigeon River, along with the site of the "outlaw bridge", the first border crossing between Minnesota and Ontario. Nothing too glarly.
Sounds like a good route.

11 hours til on the road to shindig hq time.
Sheri cant make it until Sat evening. Someone has to work to support the motorcycle habit.

Lance
bikergirl4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #761
Francis11
Gbusk

Fuel

I'm riding a totally stock DRZ (ok, updated grips) will I need to carry a jug of fuel in a back pack or something?
Old 07-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #762
Ride-til-sore!
still 20 in-my-mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post

I was just talking to Arrowhead, and talking about routes/maps/gps. My suggestion is bring a forestry map of the Superior National Forest, or gps, or the multi page Minnesota map/atlas available at many gas stations. It looks like the Saturday ride will be organized in a way to make sure folks don't get too lost, but you never know. I'm a "I want to know where I'm going" rider, so if you're like that, a map will be helpful. Arrowhead mentioned having groups based on pace and "flower sniffin" attitudes.

There will be the opportunity to make a "road book" with turns written down, as an option or suppliment to a map or gps.

Is there any gas stops along the way or should I just bring a siphon hose to pull up to someones KLR tanker!
Old 07-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #763
Ride-til-sore!
still 20 in-my-mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikergirl4ever View Post
Sounds like a good route.

11 hours til on the road to shindig hq time.
Sheri cant make it until Sat evening. Someone has to work to support the motorcycle habit.

Lance
Lance what kind of bikes are on your menu for this ride? It's kind of a long one from your place. Sheir's not riding the board seat XT all the way is she?
Old 07-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #764
Francis11
Gbusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis11 View Post
I'm riding a totally stock DRZ (ok, updated grips) will I need to carry a jug of fuel in a back pack or something?
Ok, looking at the map for Saturday's ride it looks like we travel 153 miles and more than a third of that is on HWY 61. So it looks like 80-100 miles will be away from fuel stops. I have about 120 mile fuel range, so I should be ok.

My car is packed, I pick up my bike in Duluth tomorrow, and I'm Shindig bound from there.

I threw an extra lawn chair in my car and will try to grab a few more along the way.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #765
Snomore
Northwoods Rider

Oddometer: 204
I think a 120 mile range from HQ is good. We can always drop down into Grand Marais to get gas or water if needed. A lot of this can be discussed over pizza Thursday night. I have a feeling I'll be in a slow flower sniffer pack if anyone else is interested in that. There's a lot of beautiful maple, birch, and pine lined roads that really need a little time to take in.