ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2011, 09:13 PM   #76
arrowhead rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
Been reading a little on the moonshine run. It sounds like a good time. Tell us about it when you return.- Congradulations to the UMD bulldog hockey team on there first national championship!
arrowhead rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:28 AM   #77
queenpdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 971
I'm confused

What happened to the event the OP was planning? Is there a date? Has the whole plan changed now?

I'd like to get up that way in June for some riding. It would be great to meet up with some FF's and ride and camp.....

So, what's going on?

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
So long Street Triple R, Scrambler, R1150R, F650GS, R100RS....I've loved you all.
queenpdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #78
Paper
Multibike disorder..

Oddometer: 3,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenpdog View Post
What happened to the event the OP was planning? Is there a date? Has the whole plan changed now?

So, what's going on?

Old 04-10-2011, 10:24 AM   #79
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,150
My impression was that the original poster is overseas. If something has happened and he doesn't return to throw out a date for this, a good idea is still a good idea, and we ought to settle on a weekend and stay at one of the local National Forest Service campgrounds, like Eckbeck or Finland. The state park at Finland would be all right, too.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #80
buildnboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
I'd be up for that too...
buildnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #81
arrowhead rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
It sounds like a lot of us are anxious to get out and make this run. Lets give the op a little time to respond since June is still a ways out but if nothing by may then I agree we should start making alternative plans. Is anyone interested in making this run earlier for the fun of it on a weekend? Its not really anything that couldn't be done in a day or 2 easy days.
arrowhead rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #82
jwalters OP
Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer: 2,207
Hi guys,
Sorry for not getting back. Work in Dubai has been all consuming over the past few weeks. I still am hoping to do something in June. Unfortunately, planning a vacation on my return trip from Dubai is proving more difficult than I originally thought. I'm hoping to be up at the North Shore with my bike around June 15th, but I'm sure some other's may want to throw out other dates as well. Go for it! Once we get a general consensus I'll update the first post.
Jesse

Proliferator of Farkles of Mass Percussion
jwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #83
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,818
I'm interested. I'm OK with dates around June 15th.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:07 AM   #84
MikeS
Motorcycle hacker

Oddometer: 730
North Shore riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowhead rider View Post
Been reading a little on the moonshine run. It sounds like a good time. Tell us about it when you return.- Congradulations to the UMD bulldog hockey team on there first national championship!
Not sure if this comment is aimed at me, but I got back from Moonshine last night, riding the shore Sunday night in the spring fog. Other than the deer, with the fog, it's nice to know the corners of Hy 61 pretty well. I don't know anyone from northern MN who was at Moonshine, although there was a rider I know from Mpls there.

I think it would be fun to simply meet the North Shore riders, and have an impromptu breakfast and ride, starting from some place like Satellites Restaurant, My Place in Finland, or else Betty's. The roads still need a little time, but maybe the 30th of this month would be a good choice. Could be a tradition: last Sat or last Sun of the month, meet for breakfast and a ride. I'd like to ride the Snake Road west of Murphy City. I haven't been across there in decades. There's also that small plane crash site north of Greenwood Lake that I've been to many years back. I've ridden across there several times looking for the footpath to that site, and I can't find it. Maybe someone here knows how to get there. I'd like to see that site again. The crashed plane is still there.

MikeS
Old 04-11-2011, 07:54 AM   #85
c-zulu
Resident Dirt Burner

Oddometer: 1,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
Not sure if this comment is aimed at me, but I got back from Moonshine last night, riding the shore Sunday night in the spring fog. Other than the deer, with the fog, it's nice to know the corners of Hy 61 pretty well. I don't know anyone from northern MN who was at Moonshine, although there was a rider I know from Mpls there.

I think it would be fun to simply meet the North Shore riders, and have an impromptu breakfast and ride, starting from some place like Satellites Restaurant, My Place in Finland, or else Betty's. The roads still need a little time, but maybe the 30th of this month would be a good choice. Could be a tradition: last Sat or last Sun of the month, meet for breakfast and a ride. I'd like to ride the Snake Road west of Murphy City. I haven't been across there in decades. There's also that small plane crash site north of Greenwood Lake that I've been to many years back. I've ridden across there several times looking for the footpath to that site, and I can't find it. Maybe someone here knows how to get there. I'd like to see that site again. The crashed plane is still there.

MikeS
I was there, ran into Cannonshot also at the Moonshine. What time did you get back on the shore? We merges onto I94 down by Tomah and came across a lone rider, I know it's a long shot but.. was that you? That weather between Solon Springs and Superior was crazy I could meet for Breakfast the weekend of the 25th..? Betty's got good pie and coffee..

I was riding with another he on a blue Versey, me on a Black FJR. Both of us wearing a Stich, him Black/Red me Black/Silver.
MOTO GUZZI STELVIO NTX---VICTORY KINGPIN TOUR

c-zulu screwed with this post 04-11-2011 at 08:01 AM
c-zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:17 AM   #86
jwalters OP
Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer: 2,207
Everyone, sorry about the lack of communication lately! I've updated the first post, lets shoot for June 17-19th weekend.

My KTM 990 is stuck in a friend's airplane hangar in San Francisco, so after I get back from Dubai I will be riding x-country from San Fran to Duluth on June 11th. I will most likely be on the North Shore well before June 17th, but it's always good to plan for the unknown.

I hope to be in Duluth around June 15th so I can have a couple days to get setup. Since this is free event, if the expectations are low, then no one should be unhappy! But seriously, I hope to at least get some Port-o-Potties and a grill so we can do a little cook out.

Volunteers:

1. Sounds like a few of you guys already know the area well. That's great, because I'm hoping someone can help put some rides together for us and post the gpx files.
2. More food! If anyone wants to volunteer to make pancakes or help with the grilling speak up!

More to come. I will start updating the first with all relevant information. Maybe we should do an "IN" list so we can anticipate the number of folks swinging by?

Proliferator of Farkles of Mass Percussion
jwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:12 PM   #87
MikeS
Motorcycle hacker

Oddometer: 730
Hijack, kind of

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-zulu View Post
I was there, ran into Cannonshot also at the Moonshine. What time did you get back on the shore? We merged onto I94 down by Tomah and came across a lone rider...

I was riding with another he on a blue Versey, me on a Black FJR. Both of us wearing a Stich, him Black/Red me Black/Silver.
Westbound around Mauston there was a huge back up of traffic, and I went over on to Hy 12 to bypass it. Got back on at Ft. Douglas or so. I don't remember seeing two riders together. I was riding a black R1150RT wearing a gray Stich.

Yes, it was pretty windy west of Tomah, a lot. I did pass a lone rider before Eau Claire, slowed by the big winds, but I didn't identify what he was riding. I was probably in the Tomah/Eau Claire area around 4:30 - 5:30PM. I was in Duluth around 8PM.

I stayed at the Comfort Inn in Casey, right on the main floor near the "cinnamon bun/movie room"

Weekend of 25th sounds like a good plan, at Betty's, maybe Sunday morning. Let's confirm later in the month. The unplowed roads here still have a lot of snow on them. Edit: Looks like this can be a "scouting ride", which makes the Betty's meeting relevant to this thread.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #88
c-zulu
Resident Dirt Burner

Oddometer: 1,262
I got back to the Bay around 1830 hrs so we were a bit ahead of you. We ended up going over towards Davenport and rode the river to E-Debuque, inland to Wildcat Mtn then slabbed it home.

Will confirm later this month and hopefully some other Shore riders will show..
MOTO GUZZI STELVIO NTX---VICTORY KINGPIN TOUR
c-zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:59 AM   #89
Mnrider2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
I'm in for the 18 and 19.
Most likely ride up sat morning and home sun night.
I make a pretty good camp breakfast.

edit for the dates(duh)

Mnrider2 screwed with this post 04-14-2011 at 08:05 AM
Mnrider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:19 PM   #90
Ride-til-sore!
still 20 in-my-mind

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnrider2 View Post
I'm in for the 16 and 17.
Most likely ride up sat morning and home sun night.
I make a pretty good camp breakfast.
I'm thinking about checking out this ride. Has it come down to what type of riding will be done? Maybe two groups one of road bikes and one for Dual Sports breaking off from camp for the day? Just thinking out loud as I have a little XT225 and not sure I can keep up with the road bikes on the black top. But, not sure they can keep up with me on the dirt roads as well!
Ride-til-sore! is offline   Reply With Quote