The question was: "But, knowing what you know now, could you have avoided it?"

So, I'll say "YES" for him. .
Oopsie. Yes. (or at least likely)

Thanks dwoodward.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:53 PM   #17
IHWillys
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
I have no memory of the crash and the driver of the pickup was determined to be at fault but from the circumstances, I'm sure I could have avoided it.

It was 7:30 AM, nice and sunny June 1994 morning. I was on my way home from my girlfirend's place(later to become my wife). I was in my own neighborhood probably at about 30 mph. This street is very gently curving and undulating in this section. I am NOTG(None Of The Gear) at the time. I'm eastbound and a lady westbound in a pickup has just passed by a garage sale when she decides to pull a u-turn across the double yellow. This results in her hitting me and the bike. I should've seen her intent but did not or atleast I don't think I did or I would've avoided it. I have avoided plenty of other incidents by realizing what was about to happen and taking action.

Ken
IHWillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:19 PM   #18
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,453
Lots learning to ride on dirt - ignore those.

Riding with flu, fell off.
- Could have avoided it by not riding, would probably have died though. (Riding out from a camping trip in really cold weather)

Hit from behind waiting at a T intersection.
- No way to avoid that one other than riding into traffic.

Rear brake lockup, fell off , head run over a by a 4WD.
- Could have avoided it, ride slower - adjust the damn rear brake.

Rear brake lockup, rocky descent at low speed.
- Could have avoided it - adjust the damn rear brake ;).

So of the 4, one was REALLY avoidable. (Being run over by a 4WD)
2 of the three could have been avoided by noticing and fixing a mechanical issue - even the one that I'd call fully avoidable.
One where I'd say riding out was still my best chance of survival - even with the accident.
Only one that I had no control over what happened.

And lots and lots of near misses ......

Peter
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:05 PM   #19
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,098
Collision with a car that made a u-turn in front of me, not much to do to avoide it. It happened long time ago, '73, so far it's the only one crash i've had, the come off's riding single track dont count, i've had few of them, never hurt myself but. The prang with the car, i hope it wont happen again, dont thing my old bone's would take it!
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:50 AM   #20
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
All road-riding:

Yes - Skidded on huge pile of mud covering the road, when entering an unlit side road at night and didn't see it till too late. I think with current experience, I could have avoided this.

No - Nailed a deer that ran out (managed to keep the bike up, although deer hitting it damaged the bike).

No - Guy pulled out on me on a roundabout after I'd committed to exiting, kerb was a foot high with railings at the top so driving over that was not an option.

No - Riding on ice: A huge (10-15ft long and whole width of the road) sheet of ice on the road had me off. It was literally like an ice rink and I had difficulty even standing up. On that bike, on those tyres, without snow chains/spikes, I don't think anyone could have ridden over it.

Yes - High speed crash due to braking hard on contaminated surface. I have gotten away with braking far harder, but that I needed to brake this hard was my fault.

Yes - Riding on snow/ice: A better rider could have saved this. With my increased experience of riding offroad, I probably could now.

Yes - Clipped the side of a car with my panniers when filtering. Shouldn't have been as fixated with the car on the other side that was moving. Should have stopped when the gap got that narrow.

Yes - Pulled away on the wrong side of the road when riding abroad.

So, 4 avoidable, 3 not. I suppose the ice one could be turned to 'avoidable' by refusing to go out when weather is that bad.

----------

I've never had a crash offroad that a better rider couldn't have avoided.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:39 AM   #21
the Pheasant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Dirt drops don't count do they? Riding with current experience, not that available at the time (kind of obvious I guess) and on UK roads:

Hard to say; one week after getting first moto, hit car as it pulled out of side road onto busy main road. Driver actually said to me she pulled out in front of me 'cos she had got tired of waiting. Managed to slow enough to land on bonnet

Yes; gentle application of MZ TS125 front brake in the rain locked up the Pneumant-shod front wheel leading to long slide on Tarmac. Tyres replaced with Pirellis the next week. Today such rubbish tyres are not available

Yes; riding up outside of stationary traffic and got tagged by car pulling out of side turning into gap left by other vehicle. Did more damage to car bumper than to bike

Yes; dumper truck waiting to turn right into side road I was waiting to exit with right turn. Truck indicated to me to go first, cab passing truck on the nearside hit me from behind as I accelerated away.

Yes; negotiating long left-hander at top of Serpentine Road in Hyde Park, London on KMX 200 WOT. As bike reached the powerband the back tyre spun and I low sided. Did the same again the following week ( on a different bend)...

Yes; most recent involved car driven by octogenarian who attempted to pass between parked car and another waiting in the road centre to make a right turn. There was enough room to get a bus through the gap but the driver managed to hit the nearside rear corner of the car waiting to turn and stopped dead. Expecting a clear passage I was following too close to stop short and ended up nudging the rear bumper of the right-turning vehicle. Weird crash but one that taught me a good lesson

Don't ask me about crashes on push-bikes.
the Pheasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:10 AM   #22
Kürbczech
Almost tacticool...

Oddometer: 601
Yep!

-Was too long after my first MSF course to jump right into things.
-Wouldn't accept any assistance from my more experienced friends.
-Thought I knew everything.
-Fixated on that damn curb (instead of looking through the turn).

Ahhh, Proverbs16:18!
Old 02-16-2011, 01:48 PM   #23
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,602
Yes, remember how slick it can be on first rain after a drought

Yes, I sped up very fast from a intersection, then truck did not see me, going from 20 to 45 in a heart beat (and 30 zone) would have something to do with that.

Yes, look where I want to go.

In each case, even almost 30 years ago I had protective gear, no broken bones, some road rash long ago, but with gear then, not a big surprise.

Rod
ragtoplvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #24
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
Rear brake lockup, fell off , head run over a by a 4WD.
- Could have avoided it, ride slower - adjust the damn rear brake.

A 4WD ran over your HEAD!?!?!?!??????!!??

You win, I think.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:25 PM   #25
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Pheasant View Post
Dirt drops don't count do they? ......

No. But some of them probably should. I didn't count them in my post. But my 75 mph endo on a clay road was about as ugly as crashes get and it was a road. Same for my face plant (literally) into a hickory tree broke my Shoei helmet and knocked me out for a long time. And the hardest I ever hit a car and the most stitches I got from riding was on dirt.

And every stinking one of them would have been avoidable if I had had a lick of sense when I was young. As Forrest Gump says: "Stupid is as stupid does."
Old 02-16-2011, 05:48 PM   #26
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,117
Yes.

Hit a camouflaged patched of gravel in a turn. I think I was looking too far through the turn to see the gravel right in front of me.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #27
pip_muenster
curious

Oddometer: 416
I got hit in the side when the car I was about to pass suddenly turned left at 40mph. A curvy road had just opened onto a long straight with fields on both sides. There was a hidden dirt track on the left and being a local, the other driver didn't even had to slow down for the turn. Unfortunately he'd also skipped checking his mirrors.

ATGATT and no harm to me. Some damage to the bike got fixed by the guy's insurance. As luck was with me, the driver behind me was a driving instructor who confirmed that I had done everything right.

Of course, everyone is out there to kill me. Since I was a small boy I was trained to look for hints on possible dangers, e.g. spilled grains in sharp bends during harvesting season. None of that helped here.

What I do now is APPEARING like an offensive rider / driver, only to raise my odds that other people don't forget about me. Before overtaking I swerve to the middle of the road to bring some movement into the car's mirrors and make sure not to be in his blind spot. I often even use the high beam or horn (The high beam switch on your bike is labeled 'PASS' for a reason.).

There are parts of this world where people understand this as 'gentleman's behavior'. Here in Germany, they are just annoyed - but they don't kill me.

I hadn't had any bike-related close calls in the last decade with this practice, except for the general visibility issues within city limits or unobservant drivers on the Autobahn (beware of yellow license plates! ).

Oh - all my gear is black, but I've recently added a 3" reflective ADV sticker to the bike, so I think I'm ok now.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #28
Misti Hurst
Racer. Writer. Coach

Oddometer: 178
This is a really great question and it seems that most people are answering yes. I'd say yes to almost all of my crashes (there have been many in my 10 years of riding and racing). The only ones I'd say no too were the ones where I was t-boned by another rider (happened twice).

It is good that people are acknowledging that they could have done something to prevent the crash instead of blaming circumstances, sometimes riders don't see that they could have done something different to prevent the crash from happening.

Knowing that most of the crashes could have been prevented, how do you teach yourself to not make the same mistakes again, or how to you analyze exactly what went wrong so that you don't run into the same situation again?

Misti

"leap and the net will appear!"
Misti Hurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:58 AM   #29
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,087
no.

lady stopped at red light decided to GO as I approach intersection. I'm always off the gas and looking both ways before I enter an intersection.

I saw her car come across. hit the brakes hard....front started locking...less pressure on front brake. hit the side of her car at 5 mph. no injury. just a slightly sore neck. chiropractor took care of it.

she probably would have T-boned me if I hadn't slowed down.

maybe better braking skills or ABS?
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:29 AM   #30
ggoytia
Mobile Fatso

Oddometer: 184
Yes.
Being a stupid 18 y/o.
Drunk.....nuff said.

Yes