Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2011, 12:06 PM   #31
klopfi
Professional Struggler

Oddometer: 119
I'd say maybe yes. When I bagged my deer, my first instinct was to try to swerve around the backend of the bambi-bomb. Since the whole thing was over in the blink of an eye, the bit about not braking while swerving was right in front of my processing queue... In hindsight, I wonder if maybe braking hard instead would have allowed me to tell the tale of a near miss, rather than "I got launched".

On the other hand, I was basically uninjured - so crashing might just be my special skill.

"It's always good to see young people taking an interest in danger. Now, a lot of people are going to be telling you you're crazy, and maybe they're right. But the fact of the matter is: Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!" - Captain Lance Murdoch

Carpe Spargel!
klopfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:05 PM   #32
Timbo813
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Yes. I was looking at the speedo instead of paying attention to what I was doing. When I looked up and decided that I was going to fast into the curve I grabbed the front brake. Front washed out and next thing I knew I was rolling on the ground. I could have easily made the turn if I hadn't hit the brake. My lessons:

1. Pay attention to what you are doing and where you are going.
2. Don't grab the front brake in a turn.

I knew better but I still made the mistakes.
Timbo813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:07 PM   #33
sbk12rs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
It was that one last toke ............
sbk12rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:11 PM   #34
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti Hurst View Post
This is a really great question and it seems that most people are answering yes. I'd say yes to almost all of my crashes (there have been many in my 10 years of riding and racing). The only ones I'd say no too were the ones where I was t-boned by another rider (happened twice).

It is good that people are acknowledging that they could have done something to prevent the crash instead of blaming circumstances, sometimes riders don't see that they could have done something different to prevent the crash from happening.

Knowing that most of the crashes could have been prevented, how do you teach yourself to not make the same mistakes again, or how to you analyze exactly what went wrong so that you don't run into the same situation again?

Misti

I think I was getting cocky. It was a road I'd ridden probably a hundred times. It's usually got some gravel in the turns, but not at the bottom where I dropped it. I had let my guard down looking for gravel, and was rewarded for it.

Lesson: Respect the road.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:09 PM   #35
Velocibiker
Adventure Antagonist

Oddometer: 1,164
#1 - No. Even though I saw the big dog and slowed to throw off his trajectory and angle of attack, it still managed to end up dead center the second I got back on the gas.

#2 - No. Motorhome decided to turn right from the left lane - through my lane - into a gas station. Ran out of braking room. Nowhere to go but down.

#3 - No. Oil or coolant on roadway.

#4 - Yes. Always pre-ride the trail if you plan on going WFO.

The other dozens of dirt get-offs happened simply due to a lack of skill. I hardly ever "crash" these days as I'm older, more skilled and am a lot more careful.

The list above would have been MUCH longer if I had not attended numerous riding schools (street and dirt). Training/schooling works.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:10 PM   #36
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Target fixation got me twice. Once on the street when I was 16(I was also speeding a little and the bicycle did what i didn't expect) One really bad one in the dirt(KLRs are HEAVY with cracked ribs)

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:07 AM   #37
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,407
Every time, but I am very fortunate.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:11 AM   #38
Bumblebee-TGL
Nomad

Oddometer: 357
Cager blatantly crossed the centerline into my lane on mountain twisties in a short straight section.

There was no way to avoid the setup for the crash that I can think of short of riding at 5mph all the time. Plenty of room, not a blind corner, short straight section of road with no reason to drift across the centerline, cager deliberately crossed over (with middle finger in the air laughing as we passed)

Avoid then, no. Avoid now, probably yes. I ran out of road just into the turn right after passing the cage with the throttle open trying to get past him before becoming a hood ornament. Not many places to go at that point. I've become much better at full out aggressive emergency stops and handling the motorcycle on dirt with my butt off the seat since then. I'm pretty sure I can now get it stopped in the amount of distance I had available at the time.

I still want that guys head, just his head, not the body. I'll put it up on a pike at that turn in the road as a warning to other murderous bastids.

Bumblebee-TGL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:06 PM   #39
Midnightventure
-

Oddometer: 723
Yes, if I had realized I was already sliding when I tried to go to the edge of the road to avoid the van that had turned left in front of me. The bike was sliding so straight and true I never realized it until I went back to look and saw the skid marks. I even sent my brother in law to see if my bike had paint on it from my hospital room because i just knew she had to have actually clipped me.
Midnightventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:21 PM   #40
Wingfixer
Watch this...

Oddometer: 3,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblebee-TGL View Post
I still want that guys head, just his head, not the body.
Sig material right there.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:13 PM   #41
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Yes....

Gravel on the road, riding the TLR-S, brake had been gummed full of nasty oil mud the weekend before, excessive down shifting (no slipper clutch ) locked up, spun around, broken brake lever, and bent brake pedal. Skinned knee, torn Wrangles, Pretty simple to fix thugh...

I was 16 or 17 at the time, 15 years later I wear a lot more gear and tend to understand the road conditions better... ( I think).

The Duc has a slipper clutch.

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:26 PM   #42
FezDaForeigner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Well, every single one of the get offs I have had could have been preventable.

However only one major accident has been preventable, and I say this because I don't even remember the other accident it was so fast.
FezDaForeigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:13 PM   #43
Ironman2001
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
All accidents can be avoided.
Stay at home and sell your bike.
If your that worried, you don't deserve to ride.
Ironman2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:17 PM   #44
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,547
"deserve" is such a strong word.

The presence of worry should not negate being worthy.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:58 PM   #45
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,792
Very early on, I had several dumps on ice. The best way to avoid them would have been not to ride in those weather conditions - Not really an option at the time but since I've had a car, it has not happened again.

The two wrecks I have had since then (26 years apart) were absolutely my fault. One was due to improper maintenance and excessive speed, and the most recent was due following someone out of an intersection without properly checking for traffic. That was a real wake-up call as I felt like I was riding "in the zone", really paying attention to what I was doing and yet still managed to screw up.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote