User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2012, 12:25 AM   #76
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,728
oooohhh where to start.

At Road Atlanta in the esses WFO tail steps out..
hold the gas
hold the gas
hold the gas......bars hit the steering stop.....and I proceed to loose my nuts and shut it down spectacularly to the high side.

Not sure if I could have saved it, but it was my fault and I definitely fucked it up. Damage to me was a broken collar bone and a metric fuck ton of pretty color briuises

At Mid-Ohio

Guy behind me "ambition outran his talent" and when he lost his front his bike nailed me right in the rear tire.

Not much I could have done about that one. Damage to me...meh....I landed on my head. takes more than mere asphalt to hurt that.

At Road America

In turn 5 or 6 a rider high sides four-five bikes in front of me, on corner exit, so in ensuing chaos, of everyone dodging the bike cart wheeling and poor dude laying in the line my front brake level got clipped, and I got to go agricultural. Saved it on the track and lost it in the grass. No real injury, I was out on the next practice..

On the street, I was passing a mini-van on a 40 MPH corner and he jumped lanes JUST as I was passing his rear wheel, because it was a right highway merge I already had a decent lean, and didn't have the speed or the room to squeeze through so I tried to brake and ended up getting run over the curb and taking a bit of a roll.

I tore the back pocket off of my favorite jeans.

Like a month ago I ran into the mysterious "shit on the road" for the first time in 19 years of having a motorcycle license I was just going to put air in the tires and when I go off the road and headed into the parking lot I lost the front wheel going a whopping 10-15mph. I felt it start going and tried to give it more throttle, no luck I biffed it.

This was transmission fluid in a nice even sheen over the feeder into a parking lot, I couldn't see it standing in the middle of it, I actually had to sniff the stain on my pants to find out what it was. Poor bike needed a new turn signal. It didn't even scratch the jacket I was wearing, I was going so slow I didn't really slide, it felt like a good football tackle

That is the abridged version of the "good" ones......not counting dirt....or god knows how many parkinglot, stopped, driveway knock overs and bloopers.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:21 AM   #77
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWolff View Post
Absolutely.

I went off the road in a flat, sweeping left because I decided I wasn't gonna make the turn and braked. Predictably the bike stood up and ran wide, which is what I'd decided was gonna happen. Didn't have to at all..conditions were excellent, road surface was good, bike was fit, my speed wasn't too high. I was without a doubt the weak link.

Experience is a bitch.

-AWolff
Brave to admit it - but the scenario you describe has probably been experienced by three out of four of us at some point. There is a great amount of self control required not to do exactly what you did. When something scary is happening, going for the brakes is reflexive for most riders.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #78
Barnwell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
On the freeway, right hand on the throttle and left hand on my left knee - hunched over and looking casual and cool . Hit an expansion joint going over a bridge, tank-slapper and slid to a stop on my back from 80 mph. Easily avoided by keeping both hands on the bars.
We remember the Freeman. We are coterminous.
Barnwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #79
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
[QUOTE=slartidbartfast;18383637]Brave to admit it - but the scenario you describe has probably been experienced by three out of four of us at some point. There is a great amount of self control required not to do exactly what you did. When something scary is happening, going for the brakes is reflexive for most riders. {Who probably shouldn't be on a motorcycle in the first place!}[/QUOTE]

This is why BMW and the IIHS think mandatory ABS is a wonderful panacea.

They are wrong... technology never trumps stupid, it just holds it off long enough to build up to a really spectacular outcome.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #80
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Been lucky, worst I had was getting flung off in the dirt at about 50 mph. Could I have avoided it? Yep, dont hop on a 2 stroke with a fresh rebore and hammer it, it'll seize.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:51 PM   #81
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Brave to admit it - but the scenario you describe has probably been experienced by three out of four of us at some point. There is a great amount of self control required not to do exactly what you did. When something scary is happening, going for the brakes is reflexive for most riders. {[lemieuxmc:] Who probably shouldn't be on a motorcycle in the first place!}
This is why BMW and the IIHS think mandatory ABS is a wonderful panacea.

They are wrong... technology never trumps stupid, it just holds it off long enough to build up to a really spectacular outcome.
I think you missed the point... Going for the brakes is the instinctive/reflexive action the experienced/skilled rider is going to have too - but overcome. Whereas a less experienced rider may lose that mental battle. The people who probably shouldn't be on a bike in the first place are the ones who don't even realize there IS a choice.

You have maintained your record of somehow mentioning ABS in almost every single post you ever make - Obsessed?
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #82
wipfel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Definitely. Had one lowside when I took a left turn into the neighborhood too fast. Ran out of ground clearance on the cruiser and target fixated on the curb I was afraid I was going to hit. This was about a month after getting my license. The fact that I was going downhill and turning onto an off-camber road didn't help. Now I know I could have shifted some weight to the inside and made the turn with some hard parts scraping. Ripped the sole of off my boot and just about broke my foot. A little rash on my knee and a sore shoulder. The shoulder of my jacket took most of the impact.

About a year later I got surprised by a switchback (first one I've run into in middle tn) while still getting used to my Connie. I'd had it about 4 days. I panicked when I felt I was too fast. Again, I was really in good shape but i wasn't used to the additional lean angle and fixated on the guard rail. Ended up bouncing the right side of the bike off of it at a flat angle at 15 mph and then falling over on my left. No injuries at all other than my pride. I just sat there on shoulder yelling curse words and hitting the road with my fist cause I'd damaged my beautiful new bike.

wipfel screwed with this post 04-06-2012 at 06:11 PM
wipfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #83
GeeGusKahn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
It was a dark and stormy night - a shot rang out!
Oops, wrong story.
OK, it was a dark night and it was snowing at a good clip.
BUT
I was riding cross town in lower Manhattan,
The light went green for me as I approached 6th Ave (Ave of the Americas for all BMW riders),
Started my turn on to 6th Ave and found myself in my first ever low slide.
Bounced along on the cobble stone right behind my Ducati 125.
As to ATGATT, it had not been invented yet, I was saved by a very heavy winter coat and Yes, a helmet.
Let's see
Avoidable, absolutely.
I think this was the second day that I owned the bike.
No, MSF courses did not exist then.
Riding at night, in the snow, on cobble stone with no experience,

Sent from my Trash 80 on 300 baud dial up.
GeeGusKahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #84
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,214
Went to a hardware store about 20 miles away to check on price for a large order of building materials. It was February, about 35 degrees, but the road looked dry. I geared up, drove there without an incident. On the way back I pulled out of the parking lot with a handful of throttle as cars were approaching in both directions. Cold tires,a 1200 Bandit, road barely above freezing. My rear started coming forward but somehow I managed to save it. Twenty miles later I'm pulling into my driveway doing summer speed. The ice patch at the bottom of the driveway was just in the right place to put me down faster than I could realize what the heck was going on. Hurt pride, scratches on a hard bag and handlebar.

Two years later, different bike, maybe March, IIRC. Same driveway, same result, except no hard bag.

Both could be avoided easily.

Off road - I fell a few times last season, and all could be avoided by more throttle, better line choice, and not looking at that damn frozen log.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote