Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2011, 06:17 AM   #106
Ritchard
ZoomZoom

Oddometer: 108
I have had my set on my 07 1200GS for nearly two weeks. In that time, I have had the tires in a good mix of conditions. I have found them quite good in mud and wet stuff, considering they're not a full-on knobbie. Good in light sand and over rocks and such. Really inspiring over regular trails, and lovely on loose or tight gravel. Around town they are surprisingly well-mannered, save for the noise once you get going over about 60 or 70 km/h. They corner really well, very sure-footed and hold a line nicely. On the slab the rear feels very planted and kind of solid, but the front gets a little twitchy at speeds above about 125 km/h.

I think I could really live with these as an all-round tire, I am just interested to see how the mileage works out.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:24 PM   #107
arboffroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Ordered a 150 from dualsport plus in canada today and he said hes got about 20 of them
arboffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:46 PM   #108
zanardi
zanardi

Oddometer: 15
heidenau K60's

To anyone in the vicinity of Calgary, I just bought the K60's for my F800GS, 90/90-21 and 150/70 - 17. they are in stock at Blackfoot motorsports. FYI.

cheers
zanardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:46 AM   #109
jdub
Dawg bytes reel gud

Oddometer: 1,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchard View Post
I have had my set on my 07 1200GS for nearly two weeks. In that time, I have had the tires in a good mix of conditions. I have found them quite good in mud and wet stuff, considering they're not a full-on knobbie. Good in light sand and over rocks and such. Really inspiring over regular trails, and lovely on loose or tight gravel. Around town they are surprisingly well-mannered, save for the noise once you get going over about 60 or 70 km/h. They corner really well, very sure-footed and hold a line nicely. On the slab the rear feels very planted and kind of solid, but the front gets a little twitchy at speeds above about 125 km/h.

I think I could really live with these as an all-round tire, I am just interested to see how the mileage works out.
I have about 1,400 miles on the pair I installed two weeks ago, with not nearly enough off-road time yet as I'd like. They've been great on the little bit of gravel, dirt roads and light mud I've encountered. No pavement rain riding yet, hoping they'll do better there than some of my TKC wet cornering experiences. The K60 front tire is the lightest steering I've ever used on this bike (in 73k miles), to the point of being twitchy like Ritchard noted. I've scrubbed them all the way over while cornering but still don't care much for that front tire feel that I thought maybe I'd get used to by now. They do sing to you on pavement, and the buzz through the bike leaves no doubt you're rolling on knobs. Front tread still looks like new, rear is only lightly worn so if they deliver on mileage like I hoped for I'll be very happy overall.
jdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:17 AM   #110
swanski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
buddy of mine has a 140 on back of GSA. I have never seen a bike tire wear like this one. It is squared-off to the point of looking like a car tire. Very odd. He says that when he corners he can feel the tire going up on that 90 degree edge and it gets very loose feeling. I wonder if the fact that it's a 140 instead of a 150 has anything to do with it?

I have seen another one on this forum that looked the same way.

I wouldn't even consider one. My Shinko rear/TKC front combo is great.
swanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #111
Visian
Look out!

Oddometer: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanski View Post
buddy of mine has a 140 on back of GSA. I have never seen a bike tire wear like this one. It is squared-off to the point of looking like a car tire. Very odd.
i saw one like that, too (old model tire) and attributed it to the fact that its owner lived out west with large amounts of straight line touring on pavement.

Was this the case with your buddy?

Old 06-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #112
swanski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
There were a couple of longish highway trips, but still plenty of what I would call varied riding - commuting on curvy roads, mountain roads in north GA, etc.

I've never seen a motorcycle tire get such perfect 90 degrees "corners"
swanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:58 AM   #113
Visian
Look out!

Oddometer: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanski View Post
I've never seen a motorcycle tire get such perfect 90 degrees "corners"
made an impression on me, too. poor guy could barely ride off pavement because turn traction was so sketchy.

i've been waiting to see whether the new ones wear the same before trying a set.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:57 AM   #114
mlyamkaw
Drill Baby Drill

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visian View Post
made an impression on me, too. poor guy could barely ride off pavement because turn traction was so sketchy.

i've been waiting to see whether the new ones wear the same before trying a set.

How many miles was this after?
14 KTM 500 EXC
mlyamkaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:59 AM   #115
Pete O Static
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 553
I had one on my F800GS and that is exactly what happened. As the tire wore, it squared right off. Riding was about 50/50 on-road and off. Removed the tire with plenty of tread left because it was basically dangerous on pavement, especially when wet.

I had an order for a 150 size K60 for when they became available but have since cancelled it. I am going to wait for some feedback on the new Scout. The issue for me is that in order to get a tire to wear as slowly as the Heidenau, you have to have a relatively hard compound which sacrifices traction. This and the square shoulders would stop me from buying another K60 140 series.
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #116
SkiFly01
Govna Racepipe

Oddometer: 574
I have thought about getting a a heidi to replace my well worn big block but came across a thread in the parrallel part of ADV about the mitas tires, the E-07 E-09 and E-10. Those could be something to check out, www.mitasmx.com and www.mx1canada.com carry them.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=64
SkiFly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:44 AM   #117
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 955
If you want 150/70 17, K-60's..........I just helped Moto Amore unload an 18 wheeler full of Heidenau's just yesterday! Holy smokes are my arms tired!!! I have pic's if someone wants to email me to post them here.

Call Moto Amore at 408-295-3004........he's got a warehouse full for practically any bike and any size.

Pcfly screwed with this post 06-22-2011 at 08:51 AM
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #118
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,025
We bought a couple yesterday. For the price paid, I sure hope they wear like iron and stick like glue.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:30 PM   #119
F8 Pilot
Bak in the Sadl & Lovinit

Oddometer: 81
What price did you pay?
Old 06-23-2011, 05:50 AM   #120
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,025
TxJames ordered two rears from Moto Amore (one for him, one for me). With shipping it was almost $200 a piece ($198 and some pennies). Something about UPS making them box the tires. That's a first for me and I've ordered lots of tires from lots of folks. Never came in a box before.

IIRC it was $178 for the tire itself and a whopping $41 to ship two.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote