Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2011, 05:51 AM   #1
JLeather OP
Bike Butcherer

Oddometer: 291
What to look for when buying a crusty /2?

Getting ready to make an offer to acquire a pair of /2's soon. Been keeping an eye on these two for a while. They're at a friend's barn, the same place I bought my VW-powered /2 last year. Wondering what I'm getting myself into here and what else I should check before coming up with a decent offer. Here are the pics, for anyone who missed them before (again, that's not me in the high socks, it's the current owner. I'm taking the pics):

The first pic, the more complete bike, is an R60/2 (I think it was a '67). The second one is an incomplete R69S (I recall that one being a '64). Both have titles that match the frames and neck plates, but neither has a numbers-matching engine.

I have quite a few questions, beginning with 'am I insane'? I'll start with the R60/2. He has a shop manual for it with hand-written service notes going back to new. The bike has 128,000 miles on it, although I didn't see in my cursory examination of the notes where he replaced the engine. He noted replacing heads, pistons, and many other parts but not the engine. I don't know if it turns over, so for now lets assume it's stuck but was running when parked (famous last words).

The incomplete R69S is actually the one I'm more interested in. I like to modify bikes anyway, and I think it'd be a really great platform for an airhead cafe bike It has the correct 26mm Bings, although I think I'd rather run something more modern for fuel. Other than that it's got what you see.

Not looking for prices on them as they stand, I have a decent idea of that. I guess the question is, what is involved in raising the dead of a /2 that I might not be expecting? Immediate teardown to bare crank required I imagine? Also, since neither engine matches the frame how can I determine they're still the correct kind (i.e. prove the engine in the R60 is an R60 and the R69S engine is actually an R69S)?

I'm definitely an above-average mechanic and I do my own full engine and trans rebuilds on my other bikes and cars, but I know /2's are a tricky beast. Anything particularly expensive I should check out before I buy these? Any common problems that may have side-lined these bikes originally that I can look out for?

I have too many projects already, but no Beemers, so for some reason I am drawn to these sad looking bikes.
JLeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:54 AM   #2
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,641
Wow. Where to start? My first thought was to say, omg wtf are you thinking... but it sounds like you have the mech background that it would be .... feasible? yes. practical? hmm, probably not.

Checking the "realness" of the engines is easy enough, they each have their own specs. The valve covers match your descriptions, so that is a start...

Be advised that parts are not easy to find, nor are they cheap. There are repop parts pretty much available, but you are not likely to get into the authenticity game with those as a beginning.

If you do dive in, know that you will spend a helluva lot of time, and $$, and the bikes will not be worth a whole lot (as non-matching numbers) when it's all said and done....

Personally, I would be quite tempted to do a "conversion" by putting in a later-generation airhead engine and tranny, perhaps with a /5 or /6 motor, and maybe parting out/rebuilding the existing motors for edumacation and dubious profit...

There are several places with muchissimo information: start by reading, here on Old School, the threads by danedg and datchew. Both are now well into the type of project that you might have on your hands.

Read the yahoo lists on Slash 2, and also Conversions, subscribe to them, and know that a lot of /2 people are quite "involved" with how "correct" everything is, or is not..... just sayin....

Good luck, and by all means, post pics!!!!!

Old 02-17-2011, 07:20 AM   #3
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,214
First thing to look for? A friendly bank loan officer.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:34 AM   #4
JLeather OP
Bike Butcherer

Oddometer: 291
Maybe a little more background is in order (or atleast you vintage bike guys can appreciate some of this). For comparison, here is the bike I helped my buddy Matt redo the engine on.

The boat anchor he started (this pic is at his house, I can assure you I don't use folding tables to rebuild engines):

The boat it came out of (courtesy of eBay):

And the finished product (this was taken in my shop):

That engine was a beast. 11:1 overbore pistons, forged rods, lightened crank, back-cut transmission, ported head, etc, etc. I'm well past the point of no return on a turbocharged CB750 that's going to be pretty nasty and will hopefully hold together.

Anyway, back on topic, I really want to customize an old Beemer. I've done enough Hondas and it's time for something else. It's either gonna be a /2 airhead or an old panhead for my next bike, and I prefer to be different, so I'm leaning airhead. Rebuilding the motor from bare crank is fine, I just got a bigger bridgeport with power-quill and I think I can handle my own cylinders on this one (maybe).

So, if one isn't particularly concerned with 'originality', especially on a bike that is already pretty incomplete, how bad is an engine rebuild? I'm assuming I'll need a few special tools, and at the very least a set of crank bearings and a notch-up on the pistons. I figure I'll redo the heads myself unless they're completely trash inside.

I figure an old /2 can't be any worse than a panhead or other old harley in terms of parts, necessary repair, and general PITA factor
JLeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:06 AM   #5
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,408
sounds like you would be able to fab your own tools with all that equipment.
you can shell out a couple hundred for the basic tools if you don't wanna mess with it.

check out those threads Bpeckm referenced. Mine contains a step by step full teardown and i'm working through the engine bottom end now. At least you'll see every part of the whole bike and get a taste for what you're up against.

You'll also see me doing what you're going to do. Dig in and learn the guts of these /2's. And fumble through it.

just throwing some rough estimates out there.

complete bike gaskets, rubbers, etc. = around $350
all frame and wheel bearings, steering damper and such = 200
motor bearings, crank refurb = 900
head work = 600
gearbox work = 300
final drive work= 200

then you have to hope that nobody tore up the timing gears or other vital engine internals.
those maint records are your friend in this case.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:49 AM   #6
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,301
The place looks like a time capsule.
Happy digging.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:56 AM   #7
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
You should contact Tim Stafford restorations in San Diego. He knows what's up.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:31 AM   #8
Detroit Steve
Homely Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
www.bmwvmca.org has an orphan list of serial #s for mismatched engines and frames. you might make someone happy.

Buy the Barrington motors book, the $100 you will spend on a /2 project.

Detroit Steve screwed with this post 02-17-2011 at 09:54 AM
Detroit Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:06 AM   #9
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerSteve View Post
www.bmwvmca.org has an orphan list of serial #s for mismatched engines and frames. you might make someone happy.

Buy the Barrington motors book, the BEST $100 you will spend on a /2 project.
fixed...
Old 02-17-2011, 10:33 AM   #10
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,498
When I was in the market for a /2 I was looking for: 1) crust, 2) a sidecar.

I got a pair of bikes. I didn't get the best deal in the world, but I got what I wanted for a pretty decent deal. I'm never going to sell the sidecar rig, so it all washes out in the end.

If I was in your shoes, with titles to the machines, I probably would pull the trigger (as long as he doesn't want full retail for completely restored examples). It's just money...

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:38 AM   #11
azcycle
Chihuahua Wrangler

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
You should contact Tim Stafford restorations in San Diego. He knows what's up.
I sold Tim our /2 stuff that we inherited with my father-in-law passed away back in late 2009, which included a nice r69s engine. After researching (including joining the /2 Yahoo group) and seeing how much work our pile of /2 parts needed to become a motorcycle, I sold it all. Tim seemed to be a super-nice guy, and VERY knowledgeable. You may even end up buying some of our old parts.

Good luck... looks like a fun project.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:26 PM   #12
elite-less
As above, so below

Oddometer: 524
Wow! Great find! The biggest deal breaker in my book is non-matching numbers. If you don’t care about resale value and plan to just ride the bananas out of them, go for it. But.... most vintage BMW consumers are fanatics about a bikes originality.
elite-less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:02 PM   #13
mykill
odd

Oddometer: 1,156
Great candidates for later model engine swap, especially the '67.
I think there is a /2 orphan page around on the net where people have posted frames and engines. A long shot, but stranger things have happened.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:24 PM   #14
kz1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 780
Duane's website

If you decide to go through with the purchase, Duane's website might be helpful.

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/index.htm
kz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:21 PM   #15
gplane
Brush With Destiny

Oddometer: 801
/2 Pair

The R60 looks like it would make a good stock rider and seems mostly complete.
A cafe /2 would be fun. Is there a tank, rear fender ?
Screw the matching #. We do this to please ourselves.
Seek good info and do the build right. Have fun.
gplane is offline   Reply With Quote