ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Mapping & Navigation > GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-15-2014, 08:54 PM   #1
andy29847 OP
Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer: 2,367
Kentucky 500 - 3 day tour

The Kentucky 500 is a 3 day tour based almost completely on tracks developed by "Jeff@attheQuadShop" for the Kentucky Adventure Tour. I sliced and diced the KAT in Basecamp to make a shorter ride. I have been in contact with Jeff to make sure he is OK with this version.

Jeff wrote this about these roads:

Quote:
As far as bikes go, the main loop can be done on bigger bikes but keep in mind there are sections with large rocks, some mud and hills so I highly recommend that you have experience in these conditions and run an aggressive tire.

If you decide that you want to take the hard sections, I STRONGLY advise light weight bikes that can handle very difficult single track, mud, creeks, hills, rocks, tight switch backs, downed trees and lots of other trail nasties. I would only recommend taking these sections if you are a very experienced off road rider.

The main loop is broken down into sections using different colors with each color being 500 track points or less. The red sections are the hard sections.

You must use a GPS that is capable of reading track logs (NOT ROUTES!). Garmin Roads and Recreation software shows all of these roads. I have also had very good luck using my iPhone and the Motion X GPS app with the Motion X Roads map set. I used this on my final check ride this past week and it worked perfectly.

Post your comments, ride report links and if you run into any issues here.

Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1514773458758190/

Attached Files
File Type: gpx Kentucky 500.gpx (290.8 KB, 201 views)
ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
Smugmug coupon code = bQItjZEfrqLkI
MOAB Ride Report

andy29847 screwed with this post 08-15-2014 at 09:06 PM
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:29 AM   #2
andy29847 OP
Dirt Road Rider

North Georgia has the banjo music, AKA "Deliverance,

Arizona has "Breaking Bad,

Kentucky has "Justified",

ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
MOAB Ride Report
Old 01-27-2015, 01:39 AM   #3
andy29847 OP
Dirt Road Rider

Here's a map that shows the KY500 and the KAT.

KY500 is blue

KAT - all the parts that aren't on the KY500 are Green.

Red tracks are hard sections as per KAT.

ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
MOAB Ride Report
Old 06-01-2015, 07:09 AM   #4
rockland213
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Are all these roads and trails still open? Me and three others will be travling to Slade Thursday and doing the 500 over the weekend.
rockland213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:11 AM   #5
andy29847 OP
Dirt Road Rider

All of the dirt road tracks are from the Kentucky Adventure Tour and should be open. The hard spots may be really hard, especially if wet. Nobody has posted stories And pics from the KY500. Youse guys have fun and share what you find with the rest of us.
ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
MOAB Ride Report
Old 06-01-2015, 10:23 AM   #6
rockland213
Adventurer

Could you give us a idea of where the hard spots are ?
Old 06-01-2015, 10:49 AM   #7
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockland213 View Post
Could you give us a idea of where the hard spots are ?
Define hard, the answer will be different for different people. There is a bunch of off pavement sections on the KAT that can get more difficult if it's been raining. For the most part, if you stay off the sections that's marked hard you should be ok if you have some off road experience and your using a good set of aggressive tires.
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:28 AM   #8
rockland213
Adventurer

We should be good then,we are a bunch of dirt bikers on Big Adventure bikes . Is there any deep water crossings on the west part of the ride?
Old 06-01-2015, 11:44 AM   #9
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockland213 View Post
We should be good then,we are a bunch of dirt bikers on Big Adventure bikes . Is there any deep water crossings on the west part of the ride?
Not that I can think of unless we get a bunch of rain.
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:22 PM   #10
andy29847 OP
Dirt Road Rider

Youse guys asking about "hard spot" should read post 1 carefully.
ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
MOAB Ride Report
Old 06-02-2015, 04:09 AM   #11
rockland213
Adventurer

Were not doing the Red tracks,
Old 06-08-2015, 10:51 AM   #12
rockland213
Adventurer

Just got back from the KAT 500 I was on a KTM 950 And there was a KTM1190 and a Triumph tiger 1200. We stayed at the the RV park in Renfro valley on Thursday night and started the ride from just south of there at the limestone caves Friday morning. We hit some cool gravel heading to S-tree campground where the track log starts for the day. After many turnarounds we finally got on the trail and after the first water crossing we lost it ,the gps was telling us to go thru impassable briers,so we did some hiking and found a lane that would put us back on track if we stayed in the very rocky bottom feeder creek. After the creek bottom we did some very cool long up hill climbs witch took us to some gravel road. Then shortly after passing what looked like some hippy community in the middle of the woods, I got a flat on the rear I was in the back so by the time the other two realized I wasn't there and came back for me I had the bike un packed and the rear wheel off. After fighting the tire off the rim and finding a (snakebite) in the tube we thought I just pinched it on the rocks, so we patched the holes and re-installed the tube only to find a fence staple in the tire. Anther patch and re assembly and we're back on the trail. Then after going around 5 miles I had another flat, so this time were in the hot sun and elect to put my buddy's extra tube in and we're back on the road in no time. Shortly after when we were going thru McKee I got that uneasy feeling,yes another flat.(Bad tube dry rotted) One of the guys in the group went straight to the parts store and returned with a brand new tube. We asked him if they had another so he went back and they did.
After having 3 flats it's getting late and we're only half way thru the firt day track our leader decides to skip some trail and just do some cool blacktop to get us to Hazard. We were all tired and decided to stay at the Daniel Boone hotel rather then camp in the hot sun . The hotel has a very good Ribeye stake .

rockland213 screwed with this post 06-08-2015 at 04:20 PM
Old 06-08-2015, 11:19 AM   #13
rockland213
Adventurer

Day two was starting out to be a turn around fest in town till we found the trail once on the track we did some cool roads and gravel . We got lost and did some roads that were for the gas wells then we ended up on Steel house lookout road ,this was a very cool curvy narrow road with great views of the valleys bellow. We ended up on some trail system and was sharing the trails with side by sides and 4 wheelers , you should have seen there faces when they saw these big pig bikes come up. Finishing the day up in Jellico we decided to eat at the pizza spot on the east side of 75 (very good) and stay at the Days Inn.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:58 AM   #14
rockland213
Adventurer

Day 3 had some of the best gravel roads of the trip and it just seemed to never stop . We did get to do some tight iffy sections on the big bikes on Sunday and went thru some hunting cabins,as we were deciding what way to go I got off my bike there was air coming from my back tire : so we found the nail and put the new tube in and was back on the road in quick time after the 4th flat . About 6 miles down the road you guessed it 5th flat after taking the tube out it had a very small hole where the valve stem was glued on . So we patched the old tube and put it back in . As we were Finnishing up Ed from Alabama on a GS pulls up . All 4 of us ride some river bottom that's very hard to stay up in and do some more gravel roads we finally Finnish the day in Livingston KY and take Ed to Renfro valley so he can find a place to stay . We travel north to Richmond and stop to get something to eat and decided to camp at Boonesborough campground (not recommend) very loud highway noise.
We had a ball and plan to do the ride again on smaller bikes and just stay in hotels .
Old 06-11-2015, 10:08 PM   #15
2touradv
2touradv

Oddometer: 3
Hey this is Ed from Alabama had a blast in the creek bed, sleep good that night. Thanks for letting me ride along. Got monsoons Rains the next day. Pretty much killed my off road riding. (Being by my self ) So I headed to Red River Gorge road through Nada tunnal pretty cool. Then followed gps tracks back to Jellico great ride. Thanks Jeff.
Ran into a big O timber Rattlesnake. Luckily I had my gopro and 6' extendable pole, coolest video I ever made.
2touradv is offline   Reply With Quote