User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #1
Eddy Alvarez OP
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,096
Need help placing a value on a '72 R75/5 Toaster Tank

I have recently developed a fascination with older BMW's and I am now looking at purchasing a 1972 R75/5 Toaster Tank locally and I need help with placing a value on this bike. He is asking $3500 but is willing to accept $2800. What I don't want it to buy a bike for what might be considered a "good deal" and end up putting another $2800 into it, yet. (What I mean is that if I keep it for a few years and my mechanical skills improve, I would probably strip it to the frame and restore it later after my kids college saving plans are paid off.)

Facts:
It's black, it's cool, the odometer reads 59,000 miles, clear title (it is a '72 but the title says '73, he claims some goof up at DMV pertaining to old bikes). The local vintage bike shop mechanic did a brief curbside visual inspection on this bike and said that it looked and seemed to run well. A compression test was recommended.

Good: Title matches Vin, it fired up immediately when cold (both eletric and kick starters worked great), it idles beautifully, each cylinder put out 148 pounds on the compression test that I personally performed, the guy rode it up and down the street and it accelerated briskly and stopped well without making ugly sounds (except for the typical old BMW transmission "clunks!"), it sounded good and no obvious leaks were noted. Also comes with a bag of "stuff" including a Clymer manual, extra gaskets and Krauser bags (that look rough with no keys to lock the bags). He claims to have put 1500 trouble free miles on the bike in 2010.

Bad: No state inspection since 2000 (vintage plates so it's not required). It has a good amount of "patina", mild surface rust on many of the metal surfaces, much of the plastic and paint have faded (it's 38 years old!), the toaster panels have mild dings on them, the bike HAS BEEN "gently" crashed on the right side with residual scuffs on the underside of the right valve cover, right handlebar grip end is chewed off and bottom of right muffler has minorscuffs (no left side damage noted). The saddlebag carrier has been repaired by welding and the bags themselves are ugly on the inside from extensive repairs but seem to work well (minus no key for the locks). I could not appreciate any defects/bends/road rash to the fork, frame or subframe with the naked eye. The headlight does not switch b/t high and low beam (it's always on high beam when turned on), I forgot to check the horn, when squeezed the front brake does not turn on the rear brake light (the rear does), the fuel tank needs to be Kreemed (now!) and the boot between the transmission and the shaft drive has a small (1 cm) tear that has been covered with eletrical tape. Also, besides a recent oil change, there is no maintenace history.

I REALLY like the looks of the bike and only intend on using it for local rides and commuting on nice days.

A picture is a million words: I am going to post pictures tonight.

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 02-17-2011 at 12:06 PM
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,880
The bike sounds worth it to me. With all you've described, I don't forsee any major repairs in the near future. It looks quite decent in the photos and appears to have been cared for - also, that's not very many miles for a 40-year-old bmw.

As for it being titled as a 73 - back then states would often log it as a 73 if that's when it was sold - but the real build date is to be found on the VIN plate at the steering head or gusset.

He came down so easily to $2800, see if he'll take $2500.

I may be interested in the fairing if you decide it's not for you.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:47 AM   #3
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Shoot for 2800 that might be a steal. Cosmetic is easier and cheaper to address than mechanical.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:02 AM   #4
Eddy Alvarez OP
Addicited to ALL bikes!

My original offer was $2500 but he said no. He says that he has a standing offer for $2900 but that price is delivered to the guys home a few hours away in NC. I then bumped up my offer to $2700 but he held fast at $2800.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
Turdell
Stig

Oddometer: 63
It's worth the $3500, you shouldn't have to worry with an engine rebuild until about 80,000 or after. I would get just because these are increasing in value, especially the toasters. I would change the fluids: engine oil, transmission, rear drive, and check for any abnormal metal or colors.

If you want to ride it around they are economical, if you want to restore to original you will be spending some money. But you will get your money back no question whether you do anything to it or not.
Turdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:35 AM   #6
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,307
I'd go buy that bike right now...you posted the ad...someone could backdoor a offer better than yours...sounds like this guy would take a higher offer in a minute...

Go get that bike...
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
Eddy Alvarez OP
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Good point, Original ad "edited"
Old 02-17-2011, 03:52 PM   #8
Garthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Good point, Original ad "edited"
They could be on their way............................................... ........GO GET IT.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:26 PM   #9
Yarddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
It's worth a dollar two ninety eight...for reals, man...
Yarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:11 AM   #10
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,673
Get $2900 from the bank and go talk to him. Offer $2800 cash, again, and if he doesn't go for that, break down and give him the $2900. Being "used but not abused", it's "worth" it.

But have no illusions. You are buying a 38 year old vehicle with 60K miles. It runs, for now, but will likely need a bunch of small parts and repairs over the next few years. For right now, a good going-through and a lot of rubber parts and minor-cost labor-intensive maintenance.

Bill Harris screwed with this post 02-18-2011 at 09:45 AM
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:05 AM   #11
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,526
What Bill said!! It is worth it. I sold my 35,000 mile version a few years ago for $5200.00 in three days.

www.northwoodsairheads.com
www.jefftrappwindsors.com

"Between two explanations, choose the clearest; between two forms,
the most elementary; between two expressions, the shortest."
Between two motorcycles the simplest (DW)
Eugeni d' Ors (1881-1954); Spanish writer.

jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:16 PM   #12
Eddy Alvarez OP
Addicited to ALL bikes!

I am going back to see the bike tomorrow with a fellow ADV friend who knows A LOT more about old bikes and airheads than me. I want to get his advice and to make sure it's not a "mutt" airhead made from various years, models and aftermarket "stuff".

Will update tomorrow! Thanks for your input.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:29 AM   #13
Eddy Alvarez OP
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Sorry for the anti-climatic ending but I called the guy yesterday to confirm pick up and he had already sold the bike (for $400 more than I would have been willing to pay). No big deal, I had some reservations about buying a wrecked bike anyways.

As my wife always says "there are ALWAYS great bike deals passing by!"
Old 02-21-2011, 06:06 AM   #14
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,673
Keep your eyes open and jump quicker next time. This was a good learning experience on what to look at/for.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:10 AM   #15
Garthe

you'll find one..,.that guy was out for $$$$...

bad vibes.

You'll find a nice bike with a nice owner to buy from...