User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2014, 10:45 PM   #1
cug OP
--

Oddometer: 4,843
The Monster 821 Thread

Couldn't find a thread about this bike, so I'm starting one now. So far I like what I found about it. Very interesting bike. Would have been nice to have a little less weight, but I'll get in line for a test ride.

Really looking forward to this bike!

cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:50 AM   #2
Rox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
I want to see how this will hold against a Street Triple.
Rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:00 PM   #3
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,775
I'll never understand Monsters with plumbing.
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:47 PM   #4
cug OP
--

You mean the weird exhaust routing? Yeah, I don't get it either, especially as they got it pretty good with the Hyper.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:03 PM   #5
cug OP
--

With my size, the riding position is very close between the two:

I'm 6', 34" inseam and I'm fairly okay on a Street Triple and the Monster 1200. Assuming the Monster 821 will be very similar to the 1200, it'll fit me just fine.

I don't thing there is a question about value though. The Street Triple R is $1000 to $1500 cheaper than the Monster which is a lot of money considering that it is the higher spec model of the Triumphs.

Might be interesting to also look at the Monster 796 which has a single sided swingarm, simpler engine, weighs 15kg (33lbs) less than the new and might be just as fun for me on the backroads here.

Wife kind of approved a Monster, is split about the Street Triple. But I want to wait for the yearly bonus anyways, therefore it'll likely be October when we will be looking more closely. Prices might be better then, too, right now at the beginning of the riding season (if there is such a thing in California) there is no chance at all, but later in the year, if there are some Monsters left, maybe I can make it happen.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:18 AM   #6
epb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
One thing you'll need to compare is how your feet fit. Reviewers have been complaining about the Monsters tiny foot pegs since it launched, so someone with size 15s like myself should be concerned.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:32 AM   #7
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
You mean the weird exhaust routing? Yeah, I don't get it either, especially as they got it pretty good with the Hyper.
No. He means he'll never understand a liquid-cooled Monster.

And I agree.

The original point of the Monster, and what the designer did, was put an air-cooled 900 Supersport mill into a Superbike chassis and leave it naked.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:53 AM   #8
cug OP
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by epb View Post
so someone with size 15s like myself should be concerned.
If your body goes along with that shoe size you are probably around 7' tall and won't think about a Monster anyways ...

At least you can go skiing ...
Old 06-09-2014, 07:58 AM   #9
cug OP
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
No. He means he'll never understand a liquid-cooled Monster.
Whoever doesn't understand the liquid cooled bikes these days doesn't understand emission and noise regulations. True for a lot of bikes, but especially the ones trying to get significant power from lightweight engines.

For me it's a bummer that the small Monster doesn't have a single sided swingarm like the 796 and is 15kg heavier. It looses a bit of that playful lightness, will be interesting to feel how that balances and whether the difference is noticeable.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:56 AM   #10
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by epb View Post
One thing you'll need to compare is how your feet fit. Reviewers have been complaining about the Monsters tiny foot pegs since it launched, so someone with size 15s like myself should be concerned.
It's not the footpeg size - it's the lack of room caused by the passenger pegs. It is almost impossible to ride with the ball of your foot on the peg - your heel wants to be right where the rear footpeg mount is. I have a size 13, but I've heard the same complaint from people with size 10.

This situation is not limited just to Monsters either. Ducati has done this on several models in the past few years. The 1200 Multistrada does the same thing, and the 1098 Streetfighter did the same thing, except with the huge exhaust shield.

If you don't ride on the ball of your foot, you'll be fine. However, that is my norm for any type of sport riding.
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.

Florida Lime screwed with this post 08-16-2014 at 01:28 PM
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:29 AM   #11
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,775
Quote:
Whoever doesn't understand the liquid cooled bikes these days doesn't understand emission and noise regulations. True for a lot of bikes, but especially the ones trying to get significant power from lightweight engines.
I understand the science. I can't' see naming them monsters and pretending they don't look as shitty as the streetfighter line that is the same basic proposition.

Their whole product line is tiny variations on the same thing, with completely incomprehensible naming convention.

If you want a monster with more power than the 796, buy the 1100. /monsters
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:45 AM   #12
PachmanP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Yeah a monster is supposed to be air cooled. This is not a terrible looking bike but not really a monster....
PachmanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:36 AM   #13
cug OP
--

Guys, I don't think you get the basic concept of evolutionary development. If you want to stay on the trees, that's fine, but the rest of the world keeps moving forward and saying that a certain bike has to have this or that (btw: who defines that other than the manufacturer, certainly not you) when it clearly doesn't is not just weird.

Ducati has positioned the Monster in a certain spot in the product line, and the old as well as the new fits that spot according to Ducati. Whether you like the new one or not doesn't matter - only thing that matters is what Ducati delivers and what customers buy.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:32 AM   #14
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,459
Quote:

For me it's a bummer that the small Monster doesn't have a single sided swingarm like the 796 and is 15kg heavier. It looses a bit of that playful lightness, will be interesting to feel how that balances and whether the difference is noticeable.
Awesome!

Praise for lightweight liquid-cooled engines, and a complaint that a bike gains over 30-lbs when a liquid-cooled engine is added. All in one post!

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:42 AM   #15
cug OP
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Praise for lightweight liquid-cooled engines, and a complaint that a bike gains over 30-lbs when a liquid-cooled engine is added. All in one post!
You're not thinking. There is no excuse that the bike got so much heavier if other manufacturers can build a water cooled one that is much lighter or weighs the same but at the same time has much more power/displacement. It's just that this particular bike gained 15kg and I don't like that.

This is independent of the need for changes to go along with regulations. Like BMW managed to keep the weight the same with the new R1200GS vs. the old R1200GS. Or Triumph is able to build a bike as light as the air cooled Monster but with a water cooled triple.