User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2011, 06:21 PM   #16
CharlieT
old school

Oddometer: 1,628
Here's what I did to my '82 FT500 Ascot a few yrs ago:

Replaced the airbox with a clamp on cone filter. Replaced the stock exhaust with an cone reverse cone megaphone and also took about 40lbs total off the thing. The lighter weight with the open ed up intake & exhaust woke that little sleeper right up!!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Checke...22319847810910
CharlieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:34 AM   #17
truck6driver OP
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,167
Do you still have the bike? Looks like you were making a fun little curve carver to me.

Ray
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:42 AM   #18
CharlieT
old school

Oddometer: 1,628
Yup, still got it. And your right it is fun in the twisties.....especially on the back country dirt roads.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Checke...22319847810910
CharlieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:42 AM   #19
FT500
Honda FT500 - 'Ascot

Oddometer: 28
I bent 4 valves when the cam busted. waiting on a new set, if anyone has some, they want to sell, I am keen as mustard to get some and hit the trails

Let me know eh?
FT500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #20
christoz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
If my C would have looked as sweet as the ascot, I never would have chopped it up
christoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:34 AM   #21
wcimb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck6driver View Post
My Ft has started weeping oil from the head gasket area on the cooling fins. No compression loss but I started to smell it one day and a week later saw the evidence of oil. I just cleaned it off and kept on trucking. Is the head gasket a problem on the FT as I have heard nothing about the old XR500's having issues. Maybe it satt in the barn too long before I got it.

Ray
Are you sure it's from the head/cylinder junction and not from the head/top cap junction? When I say top cap I mean the part that holds the tach drive and rockers.
Mine leaked from there when i got it. I took the top cap off and found the PO had stripped a couple of the bolt threads in the head causing it to be loose and leak oil.
I re-threaded the holes and used larger bolts, then cleaned everything up and sealed with hi-temp silicon. Been oil free ever since, however I do check those bolts periodically.
I let my 19 yo son ride mine for a while until an unlicensed driver turned in front of him and he hit the rear fender of the car, folding the forks back against the engine (he was bruised but OK!).
We decided to rebuild it in to something of a street tracker. New forks, round headlight, cleaned up the front a bit, shortened the rear bodywork, new LED tailight and lic bracket, and some flat track handlebars.
It's not fast, but it is fun to ride and usually draws a lot of attention. Best of all I have very little money invested!
wcimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:32 AM   #22
RuckedUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,045
Vt 500

Good to see this thread start up. I bought a Ascot for the wife's first bike here in Bama and she loves the little Honda. I's a 84 model and clean for the most part. Im a little worried about the rust on the inside of the the tank and since I have just packed it up and sent it off to Germany there is no telling how the tank will hold up on the boat. I know these have had problems with rust in the tank so I'm guessing I may need to cut my losses and get a new tank fitted when we get set back up in Europe.

10' KTM 450EXC
84' Honda 500VT Ascot
RuckedUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:41 PM   #23
FT500
Honda FT500 - 'Ascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT500 View Post
I bent 4 valves when the cam busted. waiting on a new set, if anyone has some, they want to sell, I am keen as mustard to get some and hit the trails

Let me know eh?
Think i sourced some and they hopefully are on their way.

Might Helicoil the rocker cover bolts whilst its appear to avoid the weepy oil problems.

I fixed the other big issue of the starter, managed to find a Brand new starter gear :)
Old 04-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #24
truck6driver OP
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,167
Cool. any pics

Ray
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:29 PM   #25
FT500
Honda FT500 - 'Ascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT500 View Post
Think i sourced some and they hopefully are on their way.

Might Helicoil the rocker cover bolts whilst its appear to avoid the weepy oil problems.

I fixed the other big issue of the starter, managed to find a Brand new starter gear :)
Helicoil done.

Kit was cheap, task was Easy. Happy Trail. Now to wait for the new Valves to get it registered and hit the road

Then, I'll take some photos. Lots of Photos... Photos of one in bits in the Garage isn't cool
Old 04-06-2011, 03:02 AM   #26
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuckedUp View Post
Good to see this thread start up. I bought a Ascot for the wife's first bike here in Bama and she loves the little Honda. I's a 84 model and clean for the most part. Im a little worried about the rust on the inside of the the tank and since I have just packed it up and sent it off to Germany there is no telling how the tank will hold up on the boat. I know these have had problems with rust in the tank so I'm guessing I may need to cut my losses and get a new tank fitted when we get set back up in Europe.

Good tanks are nearly impossible to find for the VT500FT, much less new ones. The best thing you can do is figure out somehow to save the tank you already have.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:49 PM   #27
FT500
Honda FT500 - 'Ascot

Just picked up a pair of Sprockets, seals and pistons for the rear caliper, new exhaust gaskets and bolts, new head gasket. Now all I need is valves and I should be back on the road.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:08 AM   #28
n8dawg6
krunkin'

Oddometer: 212
a friend has one that i like to borrow once or twice a week. believe it's an '82. surprisingly quick little scoot.

i'm actually looking to purchase one, if its within a reasonable distance (i live in MS). if you have a lead shoot me a PM. black or red doesnt matter, but the closer to stock the better

n8dawg6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #29
jrflanne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
I always thought those were really fine looking bikes. I used to work with a guy who raced one.
jrflanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:27 PM   #30
FT500
Honda FT500 - 'Ascot

Mines back on the road

Now to get some gaskets to fix the oil leak. Might need a new clutch