http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEv6v0A67Z0
'84 Honda VT500FT Ascot
Tuareg Rally 2009
canadaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:41 AM   #122
truck6driver OP
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,101
Well it is Chain and sprocket time. What a P.I.T.A. finding crap. Seems that Parts Unlimited is the only one that has the Ascot in the catalog for sprockets and even they don't have the stock 42 tooth rear sprocket. They have a great selection of front ones 15t to 19t but only a 44t rear. Since 1 tooth in the front = 3 in the rear i cannot even play with the front to get the stock gearing.
So do I add more RPMs to the engine at hwy speeds or work the clutch and lug it in first gear at the take off?

Ironicly Drag Specalities had the best deal on the 530 chain. It is a 104 link one but it is stronger and longer than the others (4 links and 100lbs tensil).

So basicly it will cost $150 to put a chain and sprockets on the old girl. Crap!! My XR650L never cost that much.

Anyone have a better deal they have found?

Ray
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:00 AM   #123
mattgw86
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I guess I've been lurking here long enough... here's my 1983 FT500:

Before:

and after:

my brother originally bought this bike for $300 from some guy in the lower 9th Ward of New Orleans. he bought it as a parts bike for his vt500 shadow, only to find out it was the wrong Ascot. he then offered me the bike for free, I really couldn't refuse. I had it running a couple days later and proceeded on with the cosmetics. it turned out there were dozens of layers of latex paint holding the tank together. after several gasoline baths due to failed attempts to repair the rust holes, I decided it would be a better plan to just try a new tank. I got the tank and some side covers on ebay, along with some other small parts. I rebuilt the forks, replaced the head bearings with some tapered rollers, and did the common sprocket/ Carb jet upgrades. all of that made a considerable difference in how the bike rode, but it was still hideous. I spent a couple days tearing the whole thing down to the frame and cleaned and painted everything as I put it back together. it finally looked as good as it ran. I still get a little oil seepage out of the valve cover, but not enough to concern me right now. I'll pull the engine and do a full rebuild sometime soon though.

That last picture was taken the day I got my endorsement, in october, that's my brother's KLR beside it. a couple weeks after that pic, I put some new tires on it, as the ones on it were old and in questionable condition. on my test ride after getting the new tires the front brake decided it was gonna grab hold of the rotor and not let go. not too fun dropping the bike in the middle of the street in downtown during rush hour (luckily its a small town and not a big city, I hate cities). I then bought a new rotor, since the incident turned the old one into a salad bowl. I finally got around to ordering some rebuilt calipers and a brand new front master cylinder- thank you tax return. I'm still holding out hope that the rear master is salvageable, since they're almost impossible to find. if all goes well, I should be back on the road this weekend or sometime next week.

really looking forward to getting back on the road, its driving me crazy having all this nice weather and not being able to get out and enjoy it.
mattgw86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:59 AM   #124
truck6driver OP
The Fireman

Good score. You have done a buch of work and it shows. So what are the headlight and gauges off of?

Ray
Old 03-07-2012, 10:02 AM   #125
mattgw86
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Not really sure, they were there when I got it. the headlight bucket has Yamaha stamped into it. the gauges look to be from an older nighthawk. the tach didn't work, so i tossed it in favor of a single gauge. only thing that really bothers me about it is that the indicator lights are just dangling by their wires. I've been eyeing a speedometer made by koso that looks like it should fit nicely over the fuse box cover. it also has built in indicator lights.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:35 PM   #126
truck6driver OP
The Fireman

Well I have been putting it off for a while now and the bike started giving me warnings today on the way to work. Chain started making popping noises when taking off. Soooo........I just dropped $175 on some parts for the old girl. New chain, sprockets, Tach cable and fork seals are on the way.

I hate that I could not find the factory 42 tooth rear sprocket. They have 5 different front sprockets though. I will be running a 15/44 sprocket combo. That will drop my ratio from 2.8 :1 to 2.93 :1. I know that doesn't sound like much but most of my commuting is above 50mph and I just like to keep the rpm's happy. My other option was a 16:44 ratio that would make it 2.75:1. Now even though that would help the RPM's, the take off would hurt and it is kinda gear a bit high anyway. I could see having to ride the clutch a bit more on take offs.
They even offer a 19 tooth front. Holly crap. I could never get it away from the light. 2:32 : 1. Bet it would cruise at 90 mph all day.
I will see how it is. Worst case is that I will buy a different front sprocket if I don't like it.

Ray
Old 03-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #127
truck6driver OP
The Fireman

Anyone know the factory idle RPM setting for the FT500?

Ray
Old 03-08-2012, 08:39 PM   #128
truck6driver OP
The Fireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUTURE View Post

Wish I had those hand gaurds. Headlight faring looks pretty interesting. When you had it were they aftermarket items or OEM parts?

So what is the can by the kickstand all about?

Ray
Old 03-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #129
truck6driver OP
The Fireman

Well installed the new chain, sprockets and the tach cable. I know the Tach needle is off as it is 3 tachs put together to make 1 working one. It is reading 2200 at idle. I just want to get it close. I either need to find a clip on tach or just compare to factory settings and hope the bike is at that mark.

As for the gearing change I notice it when taking off but no where else. That is good I guess. I will see how it effected the fuel mileage.

Ray
Old 03-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #130
FUTURE
Left right out

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck6driver View Post
Wish I had those hand gaurds. Headlight faring looks pretty interesting. When you had it were they aftermarket items or OEM parts?

So what is the can by the kickstand all about?

Ray
The small fairing was aftermarket. Hand guards where aftermarket. Now days you would use Storm Barkbusters (I have these fitted to my 1200 Bandit). The can was for the petrol taken from the tank to start a fire. It was -5c standing still.
2009 Triumph Speedmaster.
FUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #131
roadrunnerADV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck6driver View Post
Anyone know the factory idle RPM setting for the FT500?

Ray
The shop manual says it should be 1200 +/- 100 rpm...

'98 NH 750, '82 FT500
roadrunnerADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:53 AM   #132
truck6driver OP
The Fireman

Thanks. Figured it was between 1000 and 1500. Had to rebuild the Tach and I have the needle a little off. I really need a digital clip on tach to set it correctly but this will get me close.

Ray
Old 04-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #133
Mychael
n00b

Oddometer: 6
New owner after this weekend.

At least there's a good chance I will be the new owner of an FT500. The bike comes highly recommended to me. Funnily enough I almost bought one of them new back in '83 but it didn't happen, now all the yrs later looks as if I'll be getting one.

This bike is Red (only ever seen Red ones here in Australia), 40,000 k's, 3 owners. The current owner once sold it and missed it so much he bought it back again a few yrs later.

It's had a top end overhaul and a new 5th gear fitted, otherwise stock and is used regularly on club runs.
It'll be registered on club certificate so only $60 a year for rego Whopee.

Paintwork, seats, stock muffler all apparently very good. Premium price, several thousand kays but they are quite rare over here and singles are getting a bit of a cult following now.

Does anyone know where I can get a workshop manual for one? Amazon lists one but not available for shipping to Australia.

If I don't get this bike then I reckon there is a new Royal Enfield in my future.

Mike
Mychael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #134
FT500
Honda FT500 - 'Ascot

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mychael View Post
At least there's a good chance I will be the new owner of an FT500. The bike comes highly recommended to me. Funnily enough I almost bought one of them new back in '83 but it didn't happen, now all the yrs later looks as if I'll be getting one.

This bike is Red (only ever seen Red ones here in Australia), 40,000 k's, 3 owners. The current owner once sold it and missed it so much he bought it back again a few yrs later.

It's had a top end overhaul and a new 5th gear fitted, otherwise stock and is used regularly on club runs.
It'll be registered on club certificate so only $60 a year for rego Whopee.

Paintwork, seats, stock muffler all apparently very good. Premium price, several thousand kays but they are quite rare over here and singles are getting a bit of a cult following now.

Does anyone know where I can get a workshop manual for one? Amazon lists one but not available for shipping to Australia.

If I don't get this bike then I reckon there is a new Royal Enfield in my future.

Mike
Yahoo Groups have a fantastic list for the FT500.

I have 2 of them myself in Melbourne, one being rebuilt and one on the road.

There is a manual in stock somewhere as someone bought one recently.

Steve
FT500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #135
Mychael
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT500 View Post
Yahoo Groups have a fantastic list for the FT500.

I have 2 of them myself in Melbourne, one being rebuilt and one on the road.

There is a manual in stock somewhere as someone bought one recently.

Steve
Thanks Steve, i found the Yahoo group, registered but not posted there as yet.
Where in Melbourne are you? I am out near Berwick.

Mike
Mychael is offline   Reply With Quote