Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2011, 08:16 PM   #31
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,473
Maybe, will need to check what the fan is on the range of possibilities.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:24 PM   #32
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

KTM PN: 58435041000 (690, 950SE) "LOOKS" like a similar fan for ~$90USD... however I do not know for sure as I do not have one in hand. Also, the connector is different so will need to be modified/adapted.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #33
Chipper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
4 stroke fan works

The fan off 4 strokes works, I have it on mine with H2W' s bracket. Did have to splice different plug on but same fan.
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:47 AM   #34
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,955
I think the heat shield looks like a good idea. I checked out some suppliers and see different types,attachment processes, and heat reflectig temps.

Which tape should I buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
After reading keeners caution, I felt the right side tank where the fan blows on it and it was very hot. Now I know that in normal operation with no second fan, hot air off the radiator blows through there also, but maybe the forced hot air will heat up that inside tank surface more than what it would normally get, also heating up the fuel itself a bit more too. I'm not really worried all that much about the issue, but will probably lay in some self-adhesive gold or silver heat shield to the inner tank surface right where the forced air blast hits it, to reduce heat transfer to the tank. That should be enough to take care of it, and won't be externally visible.

I have added extra heat shield to several places on the bike, like on my airbox for example, to reduce engine heat transfer to the incoming air

and right tank already to reduce exhaust pipe heat transfer, so this will just be a bit more.
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:42 AM   #35
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

What I have used:

Frost King; 1/8" closed cell foam, aluminum faced, self adhesive. I have used this on the air box, edge seam sealed with the NASHA tape.

NASHA: 300 deg F rated, 3" wide dead soft aluminum, self adhesive tape. I have used this as seam tape and also applied to the interior surface of both fuel cells.

HELIX brand: High temp, woven glass/ceramic body, aluminum faced, self adhesive, 18" X 18" sheet. This material works great where exhaust system components come in close contact with plastic body panels. I have used this to replace the failure prone OEM heat shield on the right/lower section of the right side fuel cell near where the front header pipe passes through. I then edge taped it in with the NASHA tape.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:21 AM   #36
Bootsy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
That part(60035044050) doesn't fit on the right side.!!!

WARNING,....

Heat from the new fan will most likely cause the paint and stickers on your right gas tank to bubble up.

This is what happens to older 950 bikes that didnt have a fan cap (60035044050). I had to order one from higher models OEM parts.
Bootsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:29 AM   #37
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
I wish I could get my overflow bottle that clean. Mine had gotten quite a bit of crud in it and when I disassembled the rads, etc to flush it last fall I tried all kinds of different things to get the slime off the inside of the bottle to no avail
Put some rice in it and shake the hell out of it.
IT works.
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:10 PM   #38
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

correct.... the 5.2" fan is larger than the 4" fan....and will not fit the bracket. It is possible to fit the 5.2 into the right side, however there is not enough room for it to be mounted with a bracket, requires attaching directly to radiator transfer tubes.... and its TIGHT fit at best... The bonus is the 5.2" fan pulls almost 50% more air than the 4" at 2.5 inHg

The 5.2" fan is ~$78 bucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsy View Post
That part(60035044050) doesn't fit on the right side.!!!

WARNING,....

Heat from the new fan will most likely cause the paint and stickers on your right gas tank to bubble up.

This is what happens to older 950 bikes that didnt have a fan cap (60035044050). I had to order one from higher models OEM parts.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:35 PM   #39
alshaffer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Black Dog Aux Fan Kit

Being a new 990-Adv rider, after reading seemingly hundreds of blogs on cooling fan issues I decided to go to the source ... Kurt at BDCW in this case. Just today, he said they're working up an aux fan solution for the 990-Adv bikes that should be available in June. For those of you out there who put a lot of stock in BDCW products (like me), it might be worth waiting for theirs to hit the streets.

And apologies if this is old news. I didn't read all 3 pages of this thread, but thought it worthwhile info.

"Although motorcycle riding is romantic, motorcycle maintenance is purely classic." -- Robert Pirsig
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Ben Franklin
alshaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #40
bigkuri
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by alshaffer View Post
Being a new 990-Adv rider, after reading seemingly hundreds of blogs on cooling fan issues I decided to go to the source ... Kurt at BDCW in this case. Just today, he said they're working up an aux fan solution for the 990-Adv bikes that should be available in June. For those of you out there who put a lot of stock in BDCW products (like me), it might be worth waiting for theirs to hit the streets.

And apologies if this is old news. I didn't read all 3 pages of this thread, but thought it worthwhile info.
Top tip - worth waiting indeed. Will be interesting to see what they come up with....
bigkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:04 PM   #41
MrSandman818
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer: 807
Thumb

Nice thread. Just installed my aux fan too. Super easy. Onlything I wanna modify on it would be to add a piece of rubber weather stripping around the perimiter of the fan bracket and have a fan cap for the right side too. But im anal about that kinda stuff. The fan definitly stays on a lot less so it does work.

Whys your coolant green? I thought it was supposed to be purple.
1978 Batavus 48
MrSandman818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:19 PM   #42
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,023
Why Wait?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alshaffer View Post
Being a new 990-Adv rider, after reading seemingly hundreds of blogs on cooling fan issues I decided to go to the source ... Kurt at BDCW in this case. Just today, he said they're working up an aux fan solution for the 990-Adv bikes that should be available in June. For those of you out there who put a lot of stock in BDCW products (like me), it might be worth waiting for theirs to hit the streets
"Just today..." How is BDCW the source when they don't even offer a 2nd fan kit? There are other entrepreneurs out there...

Ken at ADVMachines already sussed it out http://www.advmachines.com/category_s/93.htm been through all the beta tests and had feedback from the customers in installation & use, well covered in this thread . He'll also call you back and talk freely & answer any questions at length. Great guy (and his girlfriend rides ADV too!)

He's a one-man-business and a friend of ADVRider as well.

Buy the lower-temp fan switch while you're at it helps alot

Thanks again for my kit Ken
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."
geometrician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:31 PM   #43
jay71
Farklin' Poser

Oddometer: 316
I'm with Britt. Ken was a great help when I purchased and installed his jet kit. I just ordered my fan kit a few minutes ago and I'm sure I'll be pleased when I receive it. If I have any questions on the install he'll be a phone call away, eager to help.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:42 PM   #44
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,135
+1
Well said. Ken has some real good things going.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:55 PM   #45
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

I am eager to see the BDCW design as there is always different ways to solve a similar problem. From what I have been told, they have been working on it for some time now, I am sure that it will be a quality part too.