User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Oddometer: 1,293
Forum Madness!!

Who here has felt that desire? You know what I mean: shiny paint, flowing lines, the newest _________ (fill in the blank: engine, instruments, ergonomics).

Yeah, new bike fever.

Some of you know that I have played guitar longer than I have been riding motorcycles (50 years vs 47 years). For most of those years, two guitars were all I ever needed - one electric, one acoustic. For about a dozen years, I made my living as a musician. It wasn't until I started participating on a couple guitar forums about 5 years ago that I learned about... GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome).

You see all those shiny new guitars... all the beautiful woods... shapely body styles... exotic materials (like carbon fiber). People posting about buying the newest, greatest, best-est instruments.

I have seen some of the same symptoms here... all this talk about Vespas, Burgmans, Yamahas, and Hondas... OH MY!

I used to reward myself with a new bike after a particularly good business year. Not that I needed it... but, you know, I worked so hard.

Then, I decided that time away was even better than more stuff. I started keeping a bike longer My last three bikes were kept 6 years, 4 years, and 5 years. Hey, for me, that was a long time.

We retired, and riding took a backseat to other endeavors. I found this forum when we (and by "we", I mean: my wife) considered getting a couple scooters. I was doing research, considering the fact that scooters had never been on my radar... and this forum was welcoming and informative. Still is.

I see a lot of similarities between the guitar forums and Battle Scooters: the new models being released, discussion about them, the early buyers. New. Shiny. Ohhhhh.

Doesn't matter what you buy, there will always be the next big thing. That said, we are content with the choice we made almost two years ago; having more fun that I imagined. And this forum has been a big part of the fun. Good people here.

So... how has this forum affected you... your buying decisions... how much riding you make time for... your choice of scoot?

Best wishes,
Jim

PS I haven't found a way to make any money riding my scooter.
CaptnJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 03:44 PM   #2
Chillis
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,925
I have always been bleeding edge with smart phones, cars, and motorcycles. It is still a pleasure to keep up on new stuff but I have never needed the newest to make me happy.

That being said, sometimes something comes out and you just have to have it. It rarely happens for me as I want little to nothing.

Now Oog has this "madness" as he starts every new model thread on ADV!
Chillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:07 PM   #3
DOUBLE-O G
Smooth Operator

Oddometer: 2,690
Hey, hey! Don't blame me!

Yes I like to look at the new stuff and I dream of being able to ride everything that comes out. It's just fun. I like coming to this forum and sharing with you guys because we all like that stuff.

Over the past couple of years, I've definitely been more about scooters than motorcycles. I feel that scooters are just more fun. Bikes are always about bigger and faster and better but you can have just as much fun riding at 50 mph on a scooter.

And so since I'm now looking into a different direction than motorcycles, I like to go explore and see what's new. I like to share that and see what others' take will be on the new scooters. I like to hear and read other people's comments.

Scooters are also cheaper than motorcycles (in general) and so it's easier to go from one to another.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:14 PM   #4
REALGRAVEROBBER
LEAVING GRAVES EMPTY

Oddometer: 364
Disclaimer: I can't afford to buy new stuff, and probably won't be able to for 5 more years (I'm 34 y.o. now), so ...

I utilize the wisdom of ADV to see what bikes, gear, or stuff is a good value or worth using and after things are 5-10 years old I can generally sort out whether this or that piece of gear is worth buying.

Then, I make a saved search on eBay and try my best to find a good deal on a used one.

If it wasn't for this method, I would not be able to afford motorcycling at all.

My $0.02.

Dr. Frazier Writing
REALGRAVEROBBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:21 PM   #5
JerseyBiker
Living the life!

Oddometer: 2,416
Im always content with what i have. No madness here.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 05:14 PM   #6
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
Im always content with what i have. No madness here.

TrashCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:05 PM   #7
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJim View Post

So... how has this forum affected you...
It has provided a comprehensive education on human psychosis.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:38 PM   #8
DOUBLE-O G
Smooth Operator

Oddometer: 2,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
It has provided a comprehensive education on human psychosis.
I would have used the word "passion" instead of "psychosis" but sure, why not.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:14 PM   #9
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE-O G View Post
I would have used the word "passion" instead of "psychosis" but sure, why not.
Have you seen the delusional nature of some of the players here? "Psychosis" is understated

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:10 PM   #10
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,374
I didn't need this forum to get new bike fever. I had it long before I ever heard of the internet. However, I don't have new bike fever nearly as bad as some on this forum seem to. I'm always thinking about a new bike but I also get attached to the bikes I have. Since I have limited garage space and limited time to ride I have decided to limit myself to a maximum of 4 bikes. I am currently looking to replace my Super 8 in a year or two. So I am lusting after the new S max although I'm not to optimistic about fitting on it.

What this forum has really done to me is to increase my desire to get out and ride to all those cool places I see in pictures posted in this forum, especially in the ride reports. Although the bikes I ride are important to me, it is the riding that is the most important.

I'd also like to get the chance to meet some of the other people on this forum in person, not just online. Of the regulars in battle scooters, the only ones I have actually met are Trashcan and Maddiedog. I'm hoping to change that in the next few years.

klaviator screwed with this post 12-28-2014 at 08:47 PM
klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:31 PM   #11
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 3,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Have you seen the delusional nature of some of the players here? "Psychosis" is understated
Don't get them going about the mental ill ADV imates . No feeding there through the bars.

But Really the effect on my motorcycle buying from gear to scooters here comes down to what is posted . Eg I think the vespa mp3 are cool but the info posted is that dealership that know how to work on them are not common. Parts cost lots etc. Same for gear it's often posible to find a crash report about that jacket. Find out that First gear newer stuff doesn't seem as good etc.
Guess I m saying unlike 15 years ago when mags or local friends is where you go to , now it's places like this. You Can find real info . See how a scooter holding up mileage wise etc. You can even hear what dealership aren't worth buying from online . It's a go to place .

As to helping to buy the latest shine thing well some of us just don't have the cash. Go wow nice but I fucking don't need it . Put it this way Once your balls start dropping with old age you kind of stop sniffing out all that shinny new puss in boots and make do anything that still starts up and will take you for a ride . That Scooter New motor really has a scremming rev to it's piipes . It really moving but we re fucked if we want to take it for a ride and are wallets are just fucked over.

Now what the fuck was the point I was going to try to make ?? Where my Coco? I need a nap. Oh yeah My point drugs ,sex and where the hell did I put my rocking chair?
Old 12-28-2014, 10:17 PM   #12
kconville
Avant Guard Dog

Oddometer: 613
"So... how has this forum affected you... your buying decisions... how much riding you make time for... your choice of scoot?"

In the case of scooters, I have quelled my lust for a scooter 3 years ago by buying a Vespa GTS300. It satisfies everything I want a scooter for. It was my first scooter and IF I had bought a Kymco or Sym or some other I probably would have wound up with the Vespa about now anyway. It's what I think a scooter should be.

Having said that, I think it's a universal hazard (if you will) of any forum discussing gear that one gets lulled into the greener grass way of looking at things.

I get seduced by camera lenses, telescopes, motorcycles (right now I'm gnawing at the bit for a Ducati Scrambler, though I have 3 bikes currently), and Airstream trailers, to name a few.
'11 Vespa GTS300
kconville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:11 AM   #13
MiniBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
I'm just glad you folks talk about, buy and ride all the new bikes.

It saves me the trouble.

Sometimes, I'll go to a dealership to look at what they've got and all the words that you've spoken come back to me.

Then I'll ride home on what brung me.

Smiling.
MiniBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:09 AM   #14
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,103
I have my ideal motorcycle.
Modern scooters are not yet defined in my mind.
Road warriors is for the young bucks seeking every last horsepower.
Battle scooters is exploring new CVT territory for me.
Plus folks are more laid back here.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:55 PM   #15
Eliter85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
There's a courier company here in Toronto that has motorcycle / scooter drivers. Was thinking it would definitely be a fun summer gig. If I could do it part-time I may bite this summer.