Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #91
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,858
There's some great roads closer to you than Deals Gap. There are some great roads near Highlands, NC. You could ride to Highlands on some great roads, ride the area, and return home easily in a day. Besides, Deals Gap on a weekend will be a slow ride. Lots of slow moving traffic and cops. Also, this time of year, the high altitude of the Highlands area will be much cooler.

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:13 PM   #92
cbolling OP
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,734
Yep, plenty of great roads in the area but I have never been to the dragon and really want to go.

Certainly would be more comfortable on the Honda Shadow but taking the Zuma just seems like more of an adventure.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #93
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

If you really want to go, then go for it - and take the Zuma, it will be much more of and adventure. When you Deals Gap, you will most likely be the only one there on a small scooter. Take the cruiser and you'll just be one of a hundred or so.

What route were you planning on taking?

Old 07-27-2011, 02:15 PM   #94
cbolling OP
Here...Hold my Beer.

Not sure about the route yet since I still have a week. I am thinking 178 to Rosman and then 64 to Franklin and then 28 the rest of the way.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:37 PM   #95
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolling View Post
Not sure about the route yet since I still have a week. I am thinking 178 to Rosman and then 64 to Franklin and then 28 the rest of the way.
That would be a great ride. 64 between Rosman and Franklin tends to have a lot of slow traffic but you won't be going that fast on the scooter and it is very scenic especially between Highlands and Franklin. 28 is a fantastic ride and most of the people I know prefer it to Deals Gap. Another option is to head over towards Seneca and pick up 28 and follow it all the way. Either way is a great ride.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:29 PM   #96
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
A 320 mile day won't be bad. I've done a little over 400 miles in a day, close to 500 on my Elite 150 before. You may get a little uncomfortable after hours on the road, but just suck it up and ride and you'll have a great time.

The scoot will be a blast on the twisty parts, and cops won't notice you as much as on a motorcycle. But yes the Shadow will be far more comfortable and easier. It just depends on how you feel. I would way rather take my Shadow on a long ride, as I can comfortably cruise at high speeds since it has nice tall gearing. The scoot is great but on the open road it feels like its out of gear.

Just depends on what you want to do.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #97
cbolling OP
Here...Hold my Beer.

So I went to the Dragon of Friday. Up until Thursday night I was still leaning towards taking the Zuma, but Google Street View changed my mind. Hwy 28 had a few sections that looked like a regular highway and would require a little more speed then the Zuma can provide. I wanted to scope out the area and maybe I will take the Zuma next time.

I ended up riding almost 400 miles and being gone for about 12 hours.

cbolling screwed with this post 08-10-2011 at 04:07 PM
Old 08-10-2011, 03:22 PM   #98
cbolling OP
Here...Hold my Beer.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:39 PM   #99
cbolling OP
Here...Hold my Beer.

I also decided to mount up a couple of farkles that I recently ordered.

The 1st one is a Ram mount idea that I stole from AngryScot. (Thanks!!!)

This works great and is an awesome place to mount a GPS. I like it so much that I am going to order another one for the right side.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:56 PM   #100
cbolling OP
Here...Hold my Beer.

So Saturday the 6th was an exciting day in the life of the Zuma. It was stolen and then recovered my the police.

We are renovating our house so I had the scooter parked on the street between a POD and a construction dumpster to keep it out of the way of the crew.

Around lunch time my wife is looking out the window and tells me that a couple minutes ago she saw a black guy going down the street on a scooter just like mine and that maybe I should go check to make sure that mine is still there.

I live on a pretty safe street so I was not really worried but I walked down to the street to look anyway. Well CRAP the Zuma is gone.

Laying on the street in front of the area that my scooter was in was a new bicycle.

So I run back into the house and grap my car keys. I take off down the street and my wife calls the cops. When I get to the end of the street I have to make a decision about which way to turn. I chose the wrong way.

Anyway, I drive around for a few minutes and come back to the house. The cops are already there talking to my wife. We give them the info about the Zuma and they call it in. In just a couple minutes they get a call from another cop less then a mile from my house saying that he has just rolled up on a black guy pushing a blue Yamaha scooter down the street.

So the guy sees the the cop pulling up on him and walks into the nearest driveway like it is his house. When the cop doesn't leave be puts the kickstand down. and tries to act cool. Then he takes off running.

Didn't get all the details but they used K9's to catch him.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:03 PM   #101
cbolling OP
Here...Hold my Beer.

Turns out it was a 16 year old kid that stole the bicycle from a Walmart about 10 miles from his house. Then rides the stolen bike about 10 more miles away from Walmart and his home until he sees my scooter on the street. At that point he decides that stealing a scooter is better than the stolen bike he already has.

The bike still had the price tag on it from Walmart.

So they fingerprint the Zuma for evidence and let me have it back.

The kid is being charged with Stealing the bike from Walmart and Grand Larceny for stealing my scooter. They may also throw in some other charges like resisting arrest since he ran.

I asked what would happen to him and was told that he was going to Juvenile detention and would be there at least until Monday when he could see a judge.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #102
cbolling OP
Here...Hold my Beer.

He never did get the scooter started and it looks like he never tried. Maybe once he got it away he would try to jimmy the ingnition. When my wife saw him he must have just been coasting down the hill.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #103
cbolling OP
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oh yea, I also added another farkle to the scoot. Some mirror extenders that I got off ebay. This really helps with the rear visibility.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #104
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,319
Your lucky your wife spotted the kid and you got your scoot back undamaged. My wife's car was stolen and during the time the cops were at the door, the car was in a police pursuit! They ditched it still hotwired and running. Car had a rod knock after that.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:11 PM   #105
cbolling OP
Here...Hold my Beer.

Yep, in the end I was pretty lucky.