Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2007, 11:56 AM   #1
Sabre OP
Pręt? Allez!

Oddometer: 11,203
Sport Tourer with Great Pillion Comfort?

I've ridden my sweetheart around on the back of the KLR, the Bonneville, and currently my Tiger. She loves it, but would be more enthusiastic for the longer rides with a bit more comfort. She drools over the plush passenger accomodations on the upscale BMW touring bikes and (yikes!) Interstates.

Well, I'm not quite ready to move to the Goldwing set (no, I can't currently afford multiple bikes, either). I love my Tiger, but am looking at options that will give her a bit more comfort...nice saddle, a bit more wind protection, etc.

The ST1100/1300's look very nice, as do the FJR's, the beemers of course...but price IS a necessary consideration.

What do y'all think?
Old 07-01-2007, 12:39 PM   #2
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre
I've ridden my sweetheart around on the back of the KLR, the Bonneville, and currently my Tiger. She loves it, but would be more enthusiastic for the longer rides with a bit more comfort. She drools over the plush passenger accomodations on the upscale BMW touring bikes and (yikes!) Interstates.

Well, I'm not quite ready to move to the Goldwing set (no, I can't currently afford multiple bikes, either). I love my Tiger, but am looking at options that will give her a bit more comfort...nice saddle, a bit more wind protection, etc.

The ST1100/1300's look very nice, as do the FJR's, the beemers of course...but price IS a necessary consideration.

What do y'all think?
I liked the FJR I rode, but it's heavy and has mediocre suspension. The ST1300 is WAY heavy for that class of bike, but admittedly a great bike. The R1200 RT is expensive but will offer the best handling of the three, lightest weight, with near Gold Wing-like comfort. If you don't want to spend the money for a new one there are plenty of lightly used examples out there in great shape. BMW is one of those bikes where the 2nd owner benefits from the relatively steep depreciation.
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:34 PM   #3
Milar
Life is an adventure.

Oddometer: 354
Quote:

What do y'all think?
The improvement my wife liked the best was a backrest or top box. You don't need to go to a touring bike for comfort. Best 2 up bike I ever owned was the Ulysses.

M
Milar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:48 PM   #4
kirkmoon
Making up for lost youth

Oddometer: 8,909
You might want to take a look at a used Aprilia Futura. Very comfy. Very sporty. Nice bike. And you get get them in perfect shape for half of what they cost new.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:57 PM   #5
Bora20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
I have a ST1300A and it is a great road bike. I am currently selling it because I want to ride in the dirt as well.

If I didn't, I wouldn't even consider selling it. My wife is extremely comfortable on it and I have no problem keeping in front of my local 600/750 sport riders in the twistys.

It is a great bike to buy and is more comfortable for the pillion then that FJR1300, or so says my wife.
Bora20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:09 AM   #6
hass
Fairings are for sissies!

Oddometer: 155
BMW K1200RS - owned one myself - awesome bike!
BMW R1100S - My brother has one - a very comfortable pillion ride but still sporty.

BMW R1150RS - if you are on a really tight budget.
BMW F800ST - if you want something a little newer.

To name just a few...
hass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:58 AM   #7
j_rock
Life Warrior

Oddometer: 120
I tour on my bandit 600s just fine. If you want more power the 1200 is a beast of a motor. The GVWR on the bandits is 980lbs or something. The bike weights 450lbs so thats a nice amount of luggage and extra rider you can haul. I have a corbin seat that makes long miles easier.
j_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:36 PM   #8
svs
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 24,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milar
The improvement my wife liked the best was a backrest or top box. You don't need to go to a touring bike for comfort. Best 2 up bike I ever owned was the Ulysses.

M
Light makes Right. MY wife and I just rode 2000 miles to Oregon and back. V-Strom with Givi Bags. I really wonder if the purpose built Sport Touring bikes that weigh a hell of alot more ride and work better? Curious if someone who's had both could comment.

My wife is real comfortable on the V-Strom With a Givi V46 as a back rest. Also the storage capacity of the 47L top case and two 36L side bags is equal or better most dedicated touring bikes.

If a physical fact can produce a psychological state, a psychological state can produce a physical fact... The whole of creation is asleep within the deep of man and is awakened to objective existence by his subconscious assumptions.
svs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:28 PM   #9
DannyZRC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 808
which tiger? 955 or 1050?

a tiger is already pretty far up the scales for passenger comfort.

better seat, backrest, maybe lowered pegs?

there isn't that much ground to gain comfortwise except in the area of wind protection.

if you do the touring mostly on the slab, then you have ground to gain by going to a heavyweight ST or ultraheavyweight LT barge, but if you keep speeds down in backroad type areas, you don't have much to gain in a bike change comfort wise.
DannyZRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 05:55 PM   #10
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 67,790
Comfort will depend on the size of the passenger and how and where you ride.

Any insight there?

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:33 PM   #11
FXRBILL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Go to ST-Owners .com for reports from pillion riders.Recently sold Harley for ST and SO loves the rear seat.I don't notice the weight of the bike and I'm 5ft8in and 150lbs.Did notice pegs scraping in twisties,motor still pulling at 130mph,auto. windshield lets you create the air you want,3-yr unlimited warranty with 4yr. extended for $460 and almost zero maint.costs compared to others.Good hunting.
FXRBILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:10 PM   #12
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,395
A Strom has s suprisingly comfortable rear seat and I suspect is better than your Tiger.

If you need more than this, I think you've got to bite the bullet and get a ST, FJR, RT, or new Concours... there's not a bike out there with GoldWing seating and DRZ weight. Find some examples and ride them with your wife and let her decide. Seat comfort is too personal to draw much from our anecdotal comments - sitting is knowing. In two-up comments where these bikes have been reviewed, generally the FJR has fared the best.

I suspect any/all could be more than acceptable if you're willing to experiement with aftermarket seats, so I wouldn't make this the only factor.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:10 PM   #13
Bora20
Studly Adventurer

Here is my ST1300A in full 2-up trim.

I rode the 1150 GSA today by myself and loved it. It was a bit too tall though and there seemed like there was less pillion space due to the one piece seat. I will compare later this week.

We are going to try a R1150GS later this week, but I am pretty sure that my wife will like the ST better. However, we don't ride 2-up that often and I told here that we could upgrade her 1990 Honda VTR250 to a F650GS.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:46 PM   #14
Sabre OP
Pręt? Allez!

Oddometer: 11,203
I sure appreciate all the input! My SO doesn't complain, but it's obvious when she drools over the heavyweight machines and points out the comfort features that she'd prefer a plusher perch. Also, when we're on the slab at speed, she gets very quiet (despite a great comm system) and puts her head against my back. We prefer the 50 mph two-lane state highways for our travels, but freeway time is inevitable of course.

My 955 Tiger is certainly a wonderful machine. I have a heavily cut-down screen on it (a la sport screen) to reduce buffeting, which works fairly well for me, though I would really like a larger bubble of air now that my daily commute has increased with a recent move. The adjustable screens on the Honda ST and FJR are attractive in this respect. Yeah, the Tiger's stock seat is pretty decent for her, though I've thought seriously about a Corbin, and I know that her lovely (and a tad generous) tush might enjoy a few extra hours with a nicer throne.

Could it be that I'm really getting older than I think? Will a lime green polyester jumpsuit be next? Prunes even? A "Good Sam Club" sticker on my top box? Ye gods....
Old 07-03-2007, 12:18 AM   #15
Bora20
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
though I would really like a larger bubble of air now that my daily commute has increased with a recent move. The adjustable screens on the Honda ST and FJR are attractive in this respect. Yeah, the Tiger's stock seat is pretty decent for her, though I've thought seriously about a Corbin, and I know that her lovely (and a tad generous) tush might enjoy a few extra hours with a nicer throne.

Could it be that I'm really getting older than I think? Will a lime green polyester jumpsuit be next? Prunes even? A "Good Sam Club" sticker on my top box? Ye gods....
I have an Aeroflow screen already mounted for the larger bubble. The Corbin is also mounted.

You should come up for a test ride Your money is worth more up here and I am sure that we could come to some sort of arrangement.

As for getting older...just getting wiser