Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
LoneTraveler OP
Captain Zoomtastic

Oddometer: 450
Thoughts on the new Ninja 1000 for touring?

I've been ogling this for some time now. Price is right, can get one for about $10k out the door. Givi has a nice luggage rack/boxes that look like they'll do well with this.

Anyone have one of these, and use it for sport-touring? If I could pick one of these up under $10k, and invest another k or so in luggage, I'd be almost $5k under the price of a new Concours, and have a considerably sportier machine to boot.

Thoughts?
LoneTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
superkram
Church parking lot rider

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneTraveler View Post
I've been ogling this for some time now. Price is right, can get one for about $10k out the door. Givi has a nice luggage rack/boxes that look like they'll do well with this.

Anyone have one of these, and use it for sport-touring? If I could pick one of these up under $10k, and invest another k or so in luggage, I'd be almost $5k under the price of a new Concours, and have a considerably sportier machine to boot.

Thoughts?
Stop talking. I just bought an FJR a month ago, an immediately started asking myself the same question.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,266
You should test ride the Ninja 1000 and C14 back to back. I too thought the Ninja 1000 should be at the top of my "short list".

The Kawasaki demo truck was in town a month ago and I got ride them back to back. After the demo ride the Ninja 1000 is not even on the short list. Great engine, but that's about it. Funky ergos for my lanky build. Handled poorly. To be honest I was shocked. The tires didn't look spanked or anything. The front end just felt really heavy and wooden to me and the suspension was less than impressive with the bike standing up when hitting bumps mid-corner.

Now I'm a "light is right" kind of guy, so I expected to be underwhelmed with the C14, but it was very nice. I really liked it, despite all that extra weight.

I will give the Ninja 1000 another shot before pulling the trigger on a new bike because it looks so good on paper, but that particular bike didn't push my fun button. YMMV...
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
pachap
CANNOT RIDE

Oddometer: 745
I just bought a 2011 Ninja 650 for touring and commuting. I think it is going to do the trick for me. I seriously considered a Ninja 1000, but buying one would have blown all my cash and left me with zero farkle money, so I passed. If I had just a little more money, I would have done it.

Edit to say: Guy above posted the same time I did so I wanted to add that I am a short guy, like 5'6", and I thought it work for me. I would have wanted to add some risers, but I am doing that to the 650 I just bought too. Like I said, I'm short.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
LoneTraveler OP
Captain Zoomtastic

Oddometer: 450
I probably should have noted that I'm a fairly rotund fella. Currently about 280lbs and 5'11" (though I am working out pretty hard, so hoping to lose another 20# or so.)

I only sat on the Ninja, but rode the Z1000, which, if the Kawasaki guy is right, is effectively the same bike, just with a different fairing and exhaust.

I was very comfortable on the Z, and the Concours is like heaven for me. That's still #1 on the list to replace my aging first-gen model.

Guess I'll wait until the next demo truck comes.
LoneTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #6
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 16,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneTraveler View Post
Anyone have one of these, and use it for sport-touring?

There's a thread a page or three back - but I'll put these up again. It's an impressive bike

fun for local riding...

and it's a great road tripper. You'll enjoy traveling on it.
From a 1,600 mile weekend ride to southwestern NM and AZ.

I've toured on lots of pure sportbikes, so this is the best of both worlds IMO. Tires can transform a bike, I have a set of Z8 Interacts and like them a lot - though the bike worked well enough with the BT-016. The Metzelers feel better to me all around.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present

Blakebird screwed with this post 07-28-2012 at 07:30 PM
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:04 AM   #7
Haroon
RIDE for PASSION

Oddometer: 555
Versys 1000

I also had a Z1000. Fantastic engine and great all round fun bike, but personally not my best touring bike.

If its touring, why not the give the new KLZ1000 aka Versys 1000 a try.....almost similar engine to the Ninja 1000 but much better ergonomics for the rider/pillion

Exploring the world on 2-wheels...little at a time
RIDE for PASSION

www.rideforpassion.com

Haroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:31 AM   #8
Dust_
Adventure Dreamer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by haroon View Post
i also had a z1000. Fantastic engine and great all round fun bike, but personally not my best touring bike.

If its touring, why not the give the new klz1000 aka versys 1000 a try.....almost similar engine to the ninja 1000 but much better ergonomics for the rider/pillion

this!
Old 07-29-2012, 03:56 AM   #9
pachap
CANNOT RIDE

Oddometer: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust_ View Post
this!
The Versys 1000 is not available in the states yet. It may not be available at all considering that the 650 version has not sold well. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if they did away with the Versys in the states.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:43 AM   #10
S8W7
Libertarian

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachap View Post
The Versys 1000 is not available in the states yet. It may not be available at all considering that the 650 version has not sold well. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if they did away with the Versys in the states.
If you care to do a fly up/drive down, they are available in Canada.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #11
Joey Stalin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post

There's a thread a page or three back - but I'll put these up again. It's an impressive bike

fun for local riding...
This bike looks the best in green. I'm interested in it, but not finding a huge following across various forums. I wonder how well this bike is selling for Kawi?
Old 08-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #12
farnorth1
farnorth

Oddometer: 10
versys 1000

I have had the bike for a couple of weeks now ...very nice so far. still waiting for the luggage. but very fast, very comfortable, useless windsheild. but that is expected nowdays. got to go aftermarkett. It would be a shame for this bike to disapear, It is going to make a very good tourer, with a little extra 118 hp. I checked out concours and fjr didn,t like the leg position this bike fits the bill with me....early days though
farnorth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #13
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,947
I am happy with my FJR and find it very comfortable. I am also on the "rotund" side. If you shop around you can find some really good deals, and it's already got luggage. Way better looking than the Concours, IMO. It's also got shaft drive, electric windshield, and heated grips. There is also a useful little storage box in the fairing with a power outlet. Adjustable seat and handlebars. Adjustable suspension.

I think the Ninja 1000 is a good looking machine, especially with the Givi's on it - but when it comes to touring capability it just gives up too much. If you are determined to go with Mama K, then I would say wait for the Versys 1000.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #14
Joey Stalin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
I'm a firm believer in being able to tour on anything you want to. Personally, I couldn't see myself ever buying an FJR, I'm annoyed by someone telling me, "This is the Proper way to sport tour." If a bike is comfortable for 2 hours or 12, all of those extras don't matter. Comfortable is comfortable. Gotta be careful about turning a bike into a Toyota Camry - an appliance. Someone looking at a Ninja 1000 probably isn't interested in a Camry.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #15
ride everything
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Stalin View Post
I'm a firm believer in being able to tour on anything you want to. Personally, I couldn't see myself ever buying an FJR, I'm annoyed by someone telling me, "This is the Proper way to sport tour." If a bike is comfortable for 2 hours or 12, all of those extras don't matter. Comfortable is comfortable. Gotta be careful about turning a bike into a Toyota Camry - an appliance. .
Exactly! Half the fun (for me at least) is coming home from a long ride, drinking beer and starting at it for another 8 hours... you don't stare at a Camry...(although FJR's are bitchen and I'd stare at that a titty bar.)
ride everything is offline   Reply With Quote