Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2011, 11:47 PM   #136
ADVBMR
Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candiya View Post
The vibration seems to be a pretty well-known characteristic of this bike - at least, I've seen a bunch of threads on other forums about it. Solutions that seem to be recommended most often are gel grips and bar ends. I haven't tried these options yet but probably will next season.

For more info, try this thread from the f800 riders forum: http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...eds-over-80mph

Good luck - and please report back if you find something that works well for you!
I lifted this from the f800riders thread and posted it here since it seems to address the problem:

"I just got back from my 6K service on my F800R. I also had them put on a pair of Throttlemiester bar ends. The heavy version. I didn't have them installed for the cruise control function but rather the vibration absorbing capabilities. So at the 6K service which is a minor service to change the oil and check to see if the bolts are tight. But let me tell you I have a new bike with the Thottlemiesters in place. It is amazing the difference. My bike is actually fun to ride again. And the mirrors don't shake to the point of uselessness. I couldn't stop riding. I complained to everyone that would listen about the vibration. Now I want to tell everyone about the solution.
Throttlemiester doesn't list anything for the F800R but the guy at Viranator.com told me that the ones for the F800GS will work. I took a chance and they look and feel great!

Here is the model I used. FH&AB16H. Make sure you use the "H" it designates "Heavy" which will do a better job of suppressing the vibration.

http://throttlemeister.com/"

I have a throttlemeister on my 12GS and it is a remarkable piece of equipment. My F800R arrives tomorrow - too bad I can't ride it for about 4 more months.
IBA #47244
2007 R1200GS; 2006 DL650 V-Strom; 2011 F800R; 2013 CRF250L; 1995 R1100GS (sold); 2006 Ducati Multistrada 620 dark (sold)
ADVBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:55 AM   #137
flkovacs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Dodgers View Post
If your really jones'n to do some test rides. NON owner policies are available. You could get a month for as low as.... actually about 20$. Maybe a week could be purchased. They are used (non-owner policies) by renters and leasers.
So, I rode one yesterday in the East Bay Parks for about 100km and am glad it's mine (and insured).
Thanks to all, including the snowed in ADVBMR, for helping me work through the purchasing decisions and options.

Some of the original posts in this thread don't seem to work (photos/attachments), and I'm now on a search for a top case. The BMW one is 28l (I'd prefer 36l+) and wanted to hear your opinions.

Ozzie's in Chico suggested looking at F800S aftermarket versions if I wanted to save $.

I didn't get the yellow, but am quite happy with the gray/black/silk/whatever.

Vibrations are not a problem for me, but I may also be looking at a slightly larger flyscreen :-)

Enjoy,
Ferenc
flkovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:43 AM   #138
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVBMR View Post
I lifted this from the f800riders thread and posted it here since it seems to address the problem:

"I just got back from my 6K service on my F800R. I also had them put on a pair of Throttlemiester bar ends. The heavy version. I didn't have them installed for the cruise control function but rather the vibration absorbing capabilities. So at the 6K service which is a minor service to change the oil and check to see if the bolts are tight. But let me tell you I have a new bike with the Thottlemiesters in place. It is amazing the difference. My bike is actually fun to ride again. And the mirrors don't shake to the point of uselessness. I couldn't stop riding. I complained to everyone that would listen about the vibration. Now I want to tell everyone about the solution..
Thanks for posting this, it inspired me to get of my backside and do something. The vibes had settled slightly on my bike and were nowhere near as bad as they were the first 1,000 miles. I'd previously filled the bars with silicone which had helped slightly.

I looked at the Throttlemeister, but couldn't bring myself to part with that much money for a pair of bar ends, even if they did have a cruise control function to them. As a result I had a look on the Max BMW parts lists and found the heavies bar ends BMW made were for the F800ST and picked up a cheap secondhand pair on eBay. An engineer friend turned up a pair of adaptors and bored the new weights out to take a loner 12mm bolt.

The standard bar end and bolt weighed in at 474 grammes and the new assembly at 720 grammes, so I've added nearly half a kilo (1 lb) to the ends of the bars in total, so I'm hopeful of a good outcome.

It freezing and wet out, so not ridden the bike yet, but I'll report back when I have. Sorry, forgot to take any photos.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:33 AM   #139
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bar View Post
Thanks for posting this, it inspired me to get of my backside and do something. The vibes had settled slightly on my bike and were nowhere near as bad as they were the first 1,000 miles. I'd previously filled the bars with silicone which had helped slightly.

I looked at the Throttlemeister, but couldn't bring myself to part with that much money for a pair of bar ends, even if they did have a cruise control function to them. As a result I had a look on the Max BMW parts lists and found the heavies bar ends BMW made were for the F800ST and picked up a cheap secondhand pair on eBay. An engineer friend turned up a pair of adaptors and bored the new weights out to take a loner 12mm bolt.

The standard bar end and bolt weighed in at 474 grammes and the new assembly at 720 grammes, so I've added nearly half a kilo (1 lb) to the ends of the bars in total, so I'm hopeful of a good outcome.

It freezing and wet out, so not ridden the bike yet, but I'll report back when I have. Sorry, forgot to take any photos.
Damn excuses!
Get off your backside and do something!

Seriously, I've got a parallel twin (never again) and would love to hear
what 0,5kg can do there!

Thanks!

p.s. "Sorry" doesn't cut it when it comes to pictures. You'll have to take them anyways.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:58 AM   #140
Joe Bar
Middle England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Damn excuses!
Get off your backside and do something!

Seriously, I've got a parallel twin (never again) and would love to hear
what 0,5kg can do there!

Thanks!

p.s. "Sorry" doesn't cut it when it comes to pictures. You'll have to take them anyways.
OK, just for you, I've froze my butt off and gone out for a ride today. Big difference, just how it should have been when the bike left the factory. I'd say the improvement is in the region of 90-95%. I've had more parallel twins than I can remember, as well as V's and boxers, and the F800R has had more handlebar vibes than I can recall on any of the others. Now it's as good as any of them. Just want some better weather again now.

So here's how it looks now -

Here's the adaptor spacer my friend turned up for me -

Here's the adaptor slotted into the F800ST bar end -

The fixing bolt is an M12 x 1.5 x 100mm, took a bit of sourcing as 1.5 thread is a bit unusual apparently.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:25 AM   #141
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,782
Quote:
OK, just for you, I've froze my butt off and gone out for a ride today. Big difference, just how it should have been when the bike left the factory. I'd say the improvement is in the region of 90-95%. I've had more parallel twins than I can remember, as well as V's and boxers, and the F800R has had more handlebar vibes than I can recall on any of the others. Now it's as good as any of them. Just want some better weather again now.

The fixing bolt is an M12 x 1.5 x 100mm, took a bit of sourcing as 1.5 thread is a bit unusual apparently.
Well damn, you sure got off your behind!
Thanks a lot, I'm sure others will appreciate this post a lot too!

I'm now certain I'll try filling the bars with something and add some weights.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:39 AM   #142
Candiya
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Thanks for the photos, Joe Bar!
Candiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:22 AM   #143
flkovacs
Gnarly Adventurer

hi, i'm still trying to figure out what to do with the thicker of the two cables in:

as it seems to rub the inside of the left fork, when turned sharp left.
any photos our there of what it should look like would be appreciated
Old 12-22-2011, 11:07 AM   #144
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,249
An FYI in case anyone is looking... Irv Seaver in Orange, CA has a brand new 2011 F800R on the floor (red white blue Motosport colors, computer, heated grips, etc.) for $10,500.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:13 PM   #145
flkovacs
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
An FYI in case anyone is looking... Irv Seaver in Orange, CA has a brand new 2011 F800R on the floor (red white blue Motosport colors, computer, heated grips, etc.) for $10,500.
nice price - i almost bought a yellow one for somewhat less from
Scott Coakley
Motorcycle Sales

San Diego BMW Motorcycles
5673 Kearny Villa Rd. San Diego, Ca. 92123
main: 858-560-BIKE (2453) ext 709
direct: 858-633-2463
fax: 858-633-2470
www.sdbmwmc.com
sales@sdbmwmc.com
scott.coakley@sdbmwmc.com

good deals out there with the factory dealer incentives.,
main reason i did not is wife wanted to me get one from closer to home, although riding up hiway 1 woulda been ok, too!

'tis the season to buy!
ferenc
Old 12-23-2011, 09:01 AM   #146
flkovacs
Gnarly Adventurer

here are some (grainy) photos some have asked for ...

today's mission: install factory center stand and start lubing that chain!
enjoy,
ferenc
ps anyone care to identify location?
Old 12-23-2011, 09:05 AM   #147
MJZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
La Jolla at sunset?? By the way, I love bike, makes me rethink my white choice.
2014 BMW S1000R
MJZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:41 PM   #148
flkovacs
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJZ View Post
La Jolla at sunset?? By the way, I love bike, makes me rethink my white choice.
i actually wanted yellow one from bmw of san diego, but am happy with the one i'm with.
la jolla is a beautiful place for sure and it's a good guess, but no cigar. i'll have to try a different photo with some landmarks in the back, now that i have a few days off for the holidays :-)
happy with a center stand, now on to a topcase hunt,
ferenc
ps the white one really stand out, and easier to keep clean than the darker colors.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:16 AM   #149
Irish1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Where DID you find that bolt-size?? It's the same bolt-size as the Jack-restraining bolt for my old 89 BMW 325is I've not been able to source. Thanks.

Quote:

Irish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:29 AM   #150
Joe Bar
Middle England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish1 View Post
Where DID you find that bolt-size?? It's the same bolt-size as the Jack-restraining bolt for my old 89 BMW 325is I've not been able to source. Thanks.

Stig Fasteners
- the link is for a M12 x 1.25 x 100mm, as they don't list a 100mm bolt in 1.5 thread, but they made up two for me at no extra charge. Really helpful on the phone.