Quote:
Originally Posted by uconnapharm View Post
I am going to look at a F800R ( shine yellow ) tomorrow morning

heated grips
ABS
onboard computer
clear turn indicators

$11,890

Have any purchasers in the last several months been able to make any deals ???
Any suggestions , any advice ???
lotsa deals out there, if you are ready to buy, and yellow is my favorite.

i'd strongly recommed, in your necka da woods:
Zac Wiley
MAX BMW Motorcycles
http://www.maxbmw.com

465 Federal Road
Brookfield, CT 06804
tel: 203.740.1270
fax: 203.740.1269

i almost bought a bike from him and had him ship it, but my wife had concerns about CA DMV issues,
ferenc
flkovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #152
ADVBMR
Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer: 848
So far I've got the following on the bike: OEM centerstand, Z-Technik windscreen, ADV Monster LED lights, Centech fuse box hooked up to an auxilliary line, lights, and heated jacket line. The wiring hopefully will be finished today and I'm adding Hyperlites on the rear. The Throttlemeister bars are on and were one of the easiest things to install. Some Wunderlich stuff: crash bars, mirror extenders, radiator guard, sidestand enlarger, and am putting on a mudsling today. Wunderlich has a good selection because they've been making things for this bike in Europe for three years; the Americans are just getting to learn it. As much as I like the American made Rox risers, they were a bust on this bike. I tried everything to reroute the brake line but no-go. So I threw in the towel and got a set of Verholen MV Motorrads at the highjack price of $327 + shipping. At least dealing with Creative Cycle Concepts was a pleasure. They're going on today. The throttle cable needs to be moved so I'll do that, too. I liked whaqt LostRider did with the tank bag and I had a Marsee laying around (the next size larger than his) so I riveted the base to the plastic center piece. I wasn't thrilled with the yellow color of the bike so I removed the decals on the back which only left me with two yellow panels. Got the necessary supplies at NAPA and painted the panels an aluminum silver metallic. The clearcoating and polishing should be done by the end of the week. That just leaves two more things. I want to add LED turn signal inserts from Weiser Motorrad, about $120 for all four (for front and back), and I ordered a set of clear handguards from Wunderlich. The Acerbis were incompatible with the bar ends and, although they might work, I didn't want to spend the money to try the F800GS guards from Touratech. I tried a set of old OEM handguards from my 12GS but they butted against the levers. I'll post some pics when I get her done. Thought I'd share some of the mods I've done since it's the season for it. We got a foot of snow yesterday and temps last week were hovering around zero.
IBA #47244
2007 R1200GS; 2006 DL650 V-Strom; 2011 F800R; 2013 CRF250L; 1995 R1100GS (sold); 2006 Ducati Multistrada 620 dark (sold)

ADVBMR screwed with this post 01-09-2012 at 08:14 PM
ADVBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #153
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,358
Not sure if anyone's spotted these, I found them lurking several pages down on the Wunderlich site, so thought I'd post up.

Wunderlich Instrument / Deflector Reinforcement

I've never been keen on how my Puig screen flaps about at speed, so got some ordered via a UK dealer (none of the UK dealers were listing the part number). Fitted them up last night and although not been out on the bike yet, they look like they'll do the job just fine. The screen is now firmly supported and the holes for the DIN socket is a nice bonus. Neat solution that doesn't cost a fortune.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:46 AM   #154
flkovacs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVBMR View Post
So far I've got the following on the bike ... I'll post some pics when I get her done. Thought I'd share some of the mods I've done since it's the season for it. We got a foot of snow yesterday and temps last week were hovering around zero.
Wow, that's impressive, and it'd be great to see some photos of all your work.

Regarding the temps - and I thought we had it cold. I used to NOT ride on days that the temps outside were not between 34 Fahrenheit and 34 Celsius, but with the temp indicator and lack of a bigger windscreen, now have a better understanding and appreciation for our local microclimates. I would leave the house at a cold 34 degrees, 3 miles later ride through 26.6 degrees, and 3 miles later feel the relative warmth of 49 degrees. On the way home, the opposite happens, with the temps dropping form 64 to 50. Since the ride is not much high speed droning, the heated grips do a great job in keepin me comfortable, and only an occasional day will require the jacket liner. No need for the pants liner so far.

I took an early morning ride up to Chico, and after about 2 hours at 75mhp and temps at 34, wish I'd had a heated vest. It took my core a good 90 minutes to recover, even with hot liquids. Is that a heated liner or the entire jacket?

incidentally, i feel for you being snowbound - just read the "into the wild" with my high school son - lotta hardy and some foolhardy folks are drawn up to alaska, and it was on my short list of destinations when i had my dl650.

hope things thaw out for you, soon,
ferenc
Old 01-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #155
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,476
F800r

Comments, thoughts, good/bad. Know nothing about these. Just looks "right" for me for a naked. Am I better bitting the bullet and coughing up the extra bucks for the R1200R?
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #156
ADVBMR
Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer: 848
Scroll down a few pages and you'll see a thread that will answer your questions.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661464
IBA #47244
2007 R1200GS; 2006 DL650 V-Strom; 2011 F800R; 2013 CRF250L; 1995 R1100GS (sold); 2006 Ducati Multistrada 620 dark (sold)
ADVBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:04 AM   #157
DesmoTull
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Comments, thoughts, good/bad. Know nothing about these. Just looks "right" for me for a naked. Am I better bitting the bullet and coughing up the extra bucks for the R1200R?
Lyle

After going to the bike show this weekend and having a chance to sit on both back to back... look them over... etc. etc. I'm in the same boat as you.

I have a feeling you can't go wrong with either, though!
DesmoTull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:43 AM   #158
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Since I have a F800GS and an R1200R, I should be able to give a more unique perspective when comparing the 8R to it's cousins... and even though it might look like it initially, it easy to look through my posts to see I'm no BMW fanboy and will voice any opinion about the bike.

While my GS is in the shop with the motor out of it currently, I have been able to ride the 8R and my 12R back to back, and I have to say.... The 8R has that Roadster feel no doubt, and feels well poised like any BMW, but it feels much much lighter, and far more nimble than my 12R - and I thought my 12R had perfect balance and was very nimble already. I also owned a R1150R, and to me, it's like the difference between the 1150R and the 1200R, when comparing the 800R to the 1200R.

This bike is begging to be flogged and ridden hard, but is gentle enough for a somewhat new rider like Nancy to get on and ride without being intimidated.
I think that's a pretty good summary. I've had the 1150 and 1200 twins and currently have an 800R, which I bought on a bit of a whim as it was such a good price. It is a very good all rounder, which still has a bit of character whilst being easy and fun to ride.

It just doesn't feel as "grown up" as the boxer twins, and as a result I've used it much more than I thought I would, whether for light touring duties or a just a run to the shops. I like it a lot. If you like to ride a lot, and do plenty of mixed riding it's ideal. If I was doing mainly bigger, longer trips and not much day to day stuff, then I'd find a boxer a bit more relaxed.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #159
petegailey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Thanks for this thread. It's especially good to see the tutorials and how to turn the 8R into a tourer which is the sort of riding I want to do. I scored a second hand orange 2010 F800R with 6000ks four days ago. I started off on scooters, then moved into motorcycles with an 04 Bonnie but this is my first taste of a sportsbike. The dealer I went to in Sydney was pushing the 2011 models out the door, I guess clearing out their stock before the 2012 models arrive but I chose to go for the lonely looking 2010 sitting in the lot coz I liked the orange. It also has a SC carbon pipe that growls really nicely. So I traded in my Yamaha Tmax for a BMW and rode home in the rain. I did squeeze a quick ride in on our local bike road, 150ks of nice 45k/h twisties called the Old Pacific Hwy the day I bought it but the road was wet, and the last thing I wanted to do was drop my "new" bike so I took it pretty carefully. Despite this I got a nice taste from the 800R

So my first Impressions.

At first sight the F800R is ugly and beautiful at the same time which is a sure way to suck me in. I love the orange which for me is so much more interesting than white, black or silver. Although the F800R is BMW's budget entry level motorcycle it is still class IMO. The parallel 800cc twin Rotax engine has plenty of grunt, great torque and can be smoothly ridden slow of fast. The SC carbon fibre exhaust sounds really nice especially when I roll the throttle on. The low seat and general lightness of the bike meant that I was immediately comfortable on it and not at all intimidated. I can sit with my feet firmly on the ground and the riding position although slightly forward is still pretty upright and quite comfortable. In fact it fits me like a glove. It has heaps of little BMW thingies like grip warmers, abs, trip computer etc which I havn't even started to explore. Nor have I had a really dry track to explore its legendary handling, all Ive had is a little sniff but that has left me with a taste of pure delight. The F800R has won me over totally. I guess some of it is the allure of the better handling of a sports bike and some of it is the allure of German engineering, whatever, It is just cracking good fun that makes me want to really get to know it.

The bike was fitted with Bridgestone T014 tyres, the rear was down to the wear bars the chain was quite loose, but the front tyre still had plenty of tread. As I haven't got a centre stand or a paddock stand yet I thought Id get a T023 rear fitted and get the chain tightened at the same time. The guy at the tyre shop said that the T014 was a discontinued line and that the front tyre was a few years old and had probably hardened. I usually like to get the full use out of any equipment but seeing that I was just starting off on this bike I decided to replace front and rear. I'd done some trawling on the net and had heard about the Pilot Road 3's so I bit the bullet and got a set fitted. Im one of those punters who believe tyres are important and not to be stingy with them. The only problem with the bike so far is that it hasn't stopped raining since I got it. So instead of scrubbing in a new set of tyres I'm sitting at the computer reading old BMW threads.

I still think a scooter is a much better experience in the urban environment but out on the road the F800R is the sort of bike that dreams are made of. I love touring and doing long Sunday rides and I'm dying to put some decent trips in on this gem. I really hope it will be able to be ridden long distances. I know touring on a naked bike isn't everyone's cup of tea but I happen to like wind in my face and bugs on my visor. It keeps me sane. Its what defines motorcycling for me.

Ive been trawling my way through all the forums and reviews and have to agree that the F800R is a great entry level machine to the world of middle weight sports bikes. I'm working my way through the riders manual trying to learn the myriad of things on the computer screen, and sitting in the garage working out how the bike is put together. So here I am with a "new" bike with brand new tyres waiting for the rain to stop so I can go and scrub them in. I never thought Id end up with a sports bike but so far the experience has been surprisingly enjoyable. I'd definitely recommend this motorcycle as a great stepping in point.

Attached Images

petegailey screwed with this post 01-25-2012 at 05:43 PM Reason: sorting out images
petegailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:01 PM   #160
flkovacs
Gnarly Adventurer

nice bike and shot - glad you're enjoying it. isn't it summertime down unda?

the front tyre does look kinda funky - is there a band about 45 degrees from center (or side)?

mine came with some racing michelins i suspect won't last all that long

the bike sure is comfortable, predictable, has plenty of pull, and is easy on the fuel.

enjoy!
ferenc
Old 01-25-2012, 11:43 PM   #161
Candiya
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Nice photo! I love the pop of color with the orange.

Since you mentioned touring, you might enjoy this ride report, if you haven't run across it already: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...source=message
Candiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:12 AM   #162
petegailey
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flkovacs View Post
. isn't it summertime down unda?

the front tyre does look kinda funky -
Yeah fikovacs mid summer. Its about 75F quite tropical with showers every day for the past week. The tyre in the pic is the old Bridgestone.

It was a public holiday here today. AUSTRALIA DAY. At 12pm the rain stopped and I grabbed my chance, my keys, my gloves, put on the oilskins and kicked over the Orange Beastie. I had two new Pilot Road 3 tyres to scrub in.

The plan was to ride 50ks up the freeway and then take the twisties on the Old Rd home. I got through the wet leafy northshore backstreets and onto the Freeway. I figured the cops would be be about as there were lots of fast moving traffic and double demerits up for offer. Cruising along at just under 120 the new bike felt very comfortable, really well balanced, plenty of roll on power up its sleeve but very happy to cruise at low revs. The wind turbulance was much lower than I was expecting and I wondered if it was that small piece of plastic above the headlight that was making light of the headwind. Stayed on the freeway and started playing tag with two gorillas on Harleys but by Hawkesbury bridge I was bored, and I could see some dry tarmac on the Old Rd so I took the Brooklyn exit and onto the twisties. Then I saw my first cop in an unmarked car off the side of the road. I gave him a nod and a wave and headed up the ridge at 60k/h.

Even at the speed limit the bike was so nice to ride. You put it into a corner and it just rolls through so effortlessly, beautiful, smooth, precise with heaps of low down torque to power out the other side. Ive never ridden anything that is so good in corners before. Even the streams of water seeping across the road didn't phase it. It really was VERY good. I started to speed up as I got more confidence and the bike just became more grounded. I know I was only using about 10% of its potential, but the way it carved through the corners with such finesse was astonishing. The other surprising thing was the lack of other motorcycles on the road. I only saw 6 all day. Made my way up to Peats Ridge for a burger and I was the only bike in the village.

I was having my burger when another copper in a highway patrol car pulls a P plater in a car over and offers him a ticket. Poor kid. Then another Hwy Patrol car comes through the other way and not a bike in sight. Maybe they were all riding other roads that had no cops and I was out of the loop. Id been very controlled not to open the bike up in the 100 zone, I told myself "that was going tho have to wait for another day". I really didnt want to go home so I did the long way home on the old wet 45k/h twisties. The tyres were warmed up and scrubbed in by now. They rave about these PR3's as being the ultimate wet weather tyre and I have to say they were amazing. You can virtually ride dry rd lines on wet roads and the bike sticks solid. Figured the cop had gone out to the freeway so I increased my speed another 10k/h and dropped down the ridge at about 90. The bike still wasnt anywhere near being phased. By the time Id got to the hill up to Cowan I knew thet I could push this bike harder and it would handle it and it did. Really good stuff. Holding its line so gracefully, leaning over so nicely, no need to roll off, it just accelerated up the mountain in 5th. It was so amazing that I turned around at thetop and rode it again, faster but I was still well within the bikes capability. This bike is far faster than the pilot thats for sure. Came back into Sydney only to get hit by a massive rainshower. Rode home after having a ride like Id never had before. 170ks all up. The Orange Beastie is something else altogether.

The Pilot Road 3
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2012, 04:28 AM   #163
petegailey
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candiya View Post
Nice photo! I love the pop of color with the orange.

Since you mentioned touring, you might enjoy this ride report, if you haven't run across it already: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...source=message
Thanks Candiya, thats a massive thread with some awesome roads. So different from the touring we do down here. Real Mountains! This is a pic of the orange Beastie on todays run about 70ks north of Sydney
Attached Images

petegailey screwed with this post 01-26-2012 at 04:31 AM Reason: image
Old 01-26-2012, 04:59 AM   #164
petegailey
Adventurer

And one more at the Hawkesbury River Bridge north of Sydney
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2012, 10:16 PM   #165
flkovacs
Gnarly Adventurer

hey, thanks for the detailed, vicarious report. i've not tried going over 100 on mine, but the more i ride it, the smoother if feels. it fits like a fine glove, almost like it's tuned into one's psyche, effortless and in sunc with self.

how tough are aussie LEOs? i imagine most of the roads you were on were not that traveled but by dingos and roos. here, in sunny CA (this is our rainy season, and were are only some 30% of normal), the LEOS tend to hide out along long straight stretches, and seem to leave one alone in the twisties.

sounds like you are tuned into them, and your luck's not running out.

the orange reminds me of the ktms, and you and the orange beast seem to have been made for each other!

life is go*d, ride more is a good ny resolution
ferenc