Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #211
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,088
I was also surprised by this discovery, though I never looked at the specs, I just wrongfully assumed it would be the same tank as my 800GS.
The F800R is not capable of 200 miles on one tank, even with a very mellow rider like Nancy.... tried and failed a few times.
It kind of sucks, but that's why there's MSR bottles to throw in backpack if you must have the range for a given ride.

Nancy had a low side/high side crash this weekend on the 8R.... she's OK with some nice bruises and a little road rash on her hip because she forgot to zip her jacket to her pants, the still rideable bike has some damage though.

I watched the whole thing go down if front of me as she lost it due to some hidden gravel on a freeway on ramp. Could have been anyone, especially people with poor eyesight like Nancy, the gravel was covered by shadows, while the rest of the road was in sunlight.
The rear end came around, and Nancy using her dirt riding experience stayed on the throttle and tried to ride it out. I thought for a moment she might save it.... The rear end was too far out and she low sided it, after barely touching down on the right side the tires got traction and flipped over, with Nancy still holding on and going thrown over and in front of the bike.
It was scary to watch, and I'm just glad she's OK. A hard lesson to be learned, but I'm sure she's taking away a lot from this crash in experience.
Her StreetGuard II suit and Arai helmet did a fine job of protecting her.
She rode the 12R home while I limped the 8R back with a badly bent shift lever, no signals and no gauges. Thank you BMW for making it out of soft enough metal so it didn't break off.

One thing is for sure, the OEM crash bars saved Nancy and the bike from further damage. Her right foot/leg would have been crushed by the bike at the beginning of the crash on the low side without it.
The crash bars took the hard hit from the bike getting flipped over and surely kept the bike from being immobilized.

When you drop the bike, not at speeds, all that touches the ground is the crash bars, not the handlebar and any of the body. Just like the Boxer Roadster.
I never had any issues with clearance while thoroughly "testing" Nnacy's bike in the canyons either.
Highly recommended.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 02-20-2012 at 02:46 PM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:36 PM   #212
Kahrnage
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Wow! I'm glad she wasn't seriously hurt and was able to ride away from a wreck that could have ended up so much worse.

The pictures really help display what to expect with those engine guards. Do you have any pictures that show the whole side(s) of the bike? Do you think guards that mount higher on the engine would have prevented the instrument cluster damage? You mentioned that the low guards helped protect her feet which is something to consider in evaluating the low or high style guards.
Kahrnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:40 PM   #213
Kahrnage
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmanP View Post
A little more than just dissapointing.
Considering your riding buddy (ME) has the same bike I don't think it's a big issue
Old 02-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #214
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahrnage View Post
Do you have any pictures that show the whole side(s) of the bike?
Do you think guards that mount higher on the engine would have prevented the instrument cluster damage?
You mentioned that the low guards helped protect her feet which is something to consider in evaluating the low or high style guards.

No, I don't think those high guards would have helped any, I think they would have allowed the handlebars to be the thing that hit the ground the first and hardest, probably breaking something that would stop the bike from being ridden.

Here's your side shot

And for the sake of enriching ADVrider.com, and since what's scratched is already scratched to be replaced by insurance anyways I took a few more photos, this time with the bike on it's side in the normal drop position and where it ended up in the crash.

These is how the bike lands when dropped, no weight on the front whees or handlebars, you can move them freely. Weight is on crash bars and rear wheel.
You can see the crash's dent impact point on the bars still showing, not in contact with the ground. A normal, non-bent shift lever would not be touching the ground.
These bars have done a great job of protecting the bike from the typical new rider type 0-5 mph drops, which there's been a few of on this bike without any damage to the bike, just scratching bars.

This is where the bike landed after flipping over from the low side, rear wheel off the ground and what did the majority of the cluster area damage.

LostRider.com
Old 02-20-2012, 04:35 PM   #215
Kahrnage
Adventurer

Thank for all those extra pictures. I can't see any damage to the front fairings at all, just the back one.
I ordered a set of the BMW engine guards but ended up not accepting them. Now I'm thinking they'll work just fine.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #216
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

You're welcome, glad to help.

There is indeed no damage to the air box covers.

They seem to work well as intended, very glad we have them, and will be replacing them with a fresh set.

The last hurdle will be to confirm there's no damage to the engine case from the energy getting transferred from the impact, through the crash bars to their mounting points. Didn't look like it, but I'll wait till the dealer does the assessment before I go pulling them off.

LostRider.com
Old 02-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #217
EmanP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Good to hear that she came out of it as well as one could have! That looks like it could have been a lot uglier! And those bars helped a lot more than I would have thought they would being as low as they are. I was all set to get the SW Motech since they're a lot higher. I thought they'd protect the plastic much better. Now I'm wondering if maybe the higher bars might not protect the stator cover as well and as you mentioned if that would allow the bars to hit the ground. Thank you very much for all those pictures of the bike on it's side. That's something that one normally never ever gets to see and discern how well the bars would position the bike or what it would be like layed over. Very very useful, thank you.
EmanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #218
flkovacs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
ouch, sorry to hear about the accident, and glad to hear you were there to help. from your description, did the bike lowside and she went over the bars?
glad to hear both survived to ride another day, and wishing her and the bike a speedy and full recovery,
ferenc
ps would you recommend those clash bars or some frame sliders? i've never had either on my bikes, but have thought about them.

thanks for the tank info - i was temped to further try and top it off, wondering my technique of filling a bike from this milleneum,
ferenc
flkovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #219
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Thanks ferenc, she will be just fine.... thanks to those crash bars, some good safety gear and a bit of luck. I think it was good she stayed on the throttle, trying to ride it out and save it too.

With my experience I can only recommend these crash bars, I've never used frame sliders so I can't comment besides I don't think they would protect your legs or feet in a crash like this.

It was a right hand turn, she came around, lost the rear end going down on the right side, then the rear tire got traction and the bike flipped over while sliding and landed like I show in the second round of photos, Nancy apparently held on ( my dirt bike girl ) and was pulled up and throw over the bike landing in front of it face and hands first to hit the pavement. Note the helmet photo
we were going about 20-25mph into the freeway entrance ramp.

As for topping it off, I've tried to stuff as much gas into it as possible like I do on my GS, with gas all over the rear end to prove....no dice. I will say that spilling fuel back there hasn't left any marks or stains though.

It isn't us, it's the tank.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 02-21-2012 at 10:31 AM
Old 02-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #220
flkovacs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Thanks ferenc, she will be just fine.... thanks to those crash bars, some good safety gear and a bit of luck. I think it was good she stayed on the throttle, trying to ride it out and save it too.
As for topping it off, I've tried to stuff as much gas into it as possible like I do on my GS, with gas all over the rear end to prove....no dice. I will say that spilling fuel back there hasn't left any marks or stains though.

It isn't us, it's the tank.
Wow, sounds like she did everything right - stuff happens, and all you can do is put your experience into practice, without blinking an eye, hope and pray for the best!
I had a similar issue last year with the fellow rider behind me - he is still not sure what happened to him, but he also high-sided when the rear wheel regained traction. He had frame sliders, the bike was totaled, and he stopped riding for a while (significant forearm damage that has since healed, thanks to titanium and stainless steel).

He was behind me, and I did not see what happened either, but the CHP who showed up on the scene (biker, too) thinks he also hit gravel (off the blacktop), rolled on the throttle, and high-sided, perhaps at 40mph.

Regarding the tank, I appreciate your first hand feedback - I won't try and damage the paint either, and am upset enough to pursue it with:
http://www.nmvb.ca.gov/consumer_prog...Form_2010.aspx

Take care,
Ferenc
flkovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:02 PM   #221
Kahrnage
Adventurer

Has anyone powered multiple items off of the onboard socket? The dealer told me that it can really only power one item and I was planning to purchase a heated jacket and run a navigator at the bare minimum.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:43 PM   #222
EmanP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Thanks for giving me a ride to the dealer today Kahr allowing me to bring it home. Anyone want to trade the rear black plastic for your white ones?

EmanP screwed with this post 02-23-2012 at 09:12 AM
EmanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:55 PM   #223
ADVBMR
Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer: 831
Sorry to hear about her mishap, and glad she's okay.
IBA #47244
2007 R1200GS; 2006 DL650 V-Strom; 2011 F800R; 2013 CRF250L; 1995 R1100GS (sold); 2006 Ducati Multistrada 620 dark (sold)
ADVBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:05 PM   #224
ADVBMR
Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer: 831
Quote:
Has anyone powered multiple items off of the onboard socket? The dealer told me that it can really only power one item and I was planning to purchase a heated jacket and run a navigator at the bare minimum.
You can run the heated jacket straight off the battery. I'm running mine off a fuse box on the GS and the 800 but many people just run it off the battery. While you shouldn't have any problem running a heated jacket off the auxiliary socket, the more you screw with the Canbus the more likely you are to have a problem. Even though I run low power items on the 800, I use one to completely avoid interference with the Canbus and so I can add anything I want later. On the GS I run PIAA 510s and 910s so the draw is huge.
IBA #47244
2007 R1200GS; 2006 DL650 V-Strom; 2011 F800R; 2013 CRF250L; 1995 R1100GS (sold); 2006 Ducati Multistrada 620 dark (sold)
ADVBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:50 PM   #225
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Standard 12v socket runs at 5 amps, so is getting towards the limit for heated stuff, add extra will trip out the Canbus meaning a trip to the dealer for a re-set. Simplest solution is simply to add another 12v socket wired direct to the battery, which also makes for an easy re-charge point for the battery.