Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #466
ADVBMR
Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpurdy View Post
Replacing with PR3s instead of Sportec Z3s is about 50% more expensive. Worth it?
Inquiring minds want to know. For some reason the price difference isn't quite that great at the dealer here (about $50 more per set), but those seem to be the two main choices, along with a Pirelli. I'm glad the conversation has gotten around to tires because I've found the stock tires are shit for riding here. We just got above 50F so my riding has been in cold, often wet, road conditions and the stock tires don't like that. They don't feel stable, and while I don't really mind the back tire breaking traction a little, the front went about a foot sidewise two weeks ago making a tight turn off the highway. I hear good things about them otherwise, so I imagine they just like warmer tarmac. The stipling on the PR3s make them a superior wet weather tire, but as for temperature conditions, I need to have more information. Something tells me I might be the crash test dummy for that here, though. Any suggestions?
IBA #47244
2007 R1200GS; 2006 DL650 V-Strom; 2011 F800R; 2013 CRF250L; 1995 R1100GS (sold); 2006 Ducati Multistrada 620 dark (sold)
ADVBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #467
gadgetguy1288
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I got tired of looking at the whale tail that comes on the back of the bike for a tag holder, so I did something about it.

I ordered the "universal" plate holder from Wunderlich, but when it came it I realized that the holes didnt line up and it wasnt tall enough to mount and still have the plate be visible, so I mocked one up with some cardboard and gave it to a a buddy at work who works in the metal shop, who made it up for me, and even painted it. I wired in an LED plate light bolt that I had sitting around from another project, and Voila!

I love the way it turned out!
gadgetguy1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:47 AM   #468
petegailey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by flkovacs View Post
so i bought the pr3 from 4wheelsonline.com ($167.95) and had them put on by a local guy ($22) after having had some difficulties in the past with my old suzuiki wheels and michelins and have a short report.

the tire guy suggested 37 pounds of pressure, but i put it on 41, as i recall reading to use the pressure the vehicle manufacturer specs. the tire is much firmer than the original pilot power, even before it went flat (!) causing ther ride to be stiff (as i like it), but the front suspension's short comings came into play, causing for a somewhat unpredictable handling situation.

is it play with the pressure and rear suspension time? i am tempted to reduce the pressure in the rear by 10% and see what happens.

what is the recommendation out there from folks with a pr3 rear?

enjoy,
ferenc
ps still planning out my cloudcroft round trip, but i hear they get some serious weather out there, year-round.
Hi Ferenc,
Ive had the pr3's on for about 4000ks and they're great. Excellent in the wet and the dry. The only question is the final ks before replacement but they're doing well so far. Running 36psi in the front and 41 in the rear no problem. I don't bother being stingy re tyres and suspension.
Running 14 clicks on the rear spring load but with 1 1/2 turns rather than 3/4 turn to soften the damping.
Ive got some new liner springs and gold emulators from Race tech somewhere in transit after i rode my buddies 800r on which he'd done the forks. He used
Race Tech Gold Valve Cartridge Fork Emulators FEGV S4301
and Race Tech Fork Springs - .95kg/mm FRSP S3732095
Much improved suspension and a more planted front wheel. I decided to follow suit.

petegailey screwed with this post 05-21-2012 at 06:53 AM Reason: typo
petegailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:13 PM   #469
flkovacs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by petegailey View Post
Hi Ferenc,
Ive had the pr3's on for about 4000ks and they're great. Excellent in the wet and the dry. The only question is the final ks before replacement but they're doing well so far. Running 36psi in the front and 41 in the rear no problem. I don't bother being stingy re tyres and suspension.
Running 14 clicks on the rear spring load but with 1 1/2 turns rather than 3/4 turn to soften the damping.
Ive got some new liner springs and gold emulators from Race tech somewhere in transit after i rode my buddies 800r on which he'd done the forks. He used
Race Tech Gold Valve Cartridge Fork Emulators FEGV S4301
and Race Tech Fork Springs - .95kg/mm FRSP S3732095
Much improved suspension and a more planted front wheel. I decided to follow suit.
thanks, that's kind of the direction i had in mind, once i settle my range issue.

the pr3 rear seems to settling in (perhaps it's me?) and i'm liking it. it seems to run a bit hot, but, hey, does that not mean sticky :-)
chicken strips gone, even w/o pushing. rear suspension i'm happy with and the bike/tire, just kinda plant themselves. the front is all over the place, and i'll keep your recs on hand, thanks!

planning a trip to cloudcroft in the coming few weeks, looking for routes once i'm out of khallifournia ...

enjoy,
ferenc
flkovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #470
EmanP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
After waiting for 2 months I finally got my SW-Motech center stand from Twisted Throttle which cost $180 + S/H ($195 total). My buddy came over and we got the chance to compare it with his BMW center stand which was an extra $50 because you had to get the mounting kit which was included with the SW-Motech. I took some pictures so that others might benifit when trying to figure out which one they would prefer.

The SW-Motech are again high quality and very well made. They are thicker and heavier duty steel than the OEM center stand with a better paint job. That also means it's fairly heavy and I'm not so sure that's wanted or necesarry for this part though. The springs are very stout and very difficult to get on which is why my friend had his installed at the dealer. I don't know that we would have been able to get it on with only 1 person without some special tool. We barely did it between the two of us using leverage and finese. I'd say he was better off getting it done before he picked up his bike unless you've got tools and assistance.

The BMW stand is very stable with the SW being less so. It seems the foot print of the stand on the ground is just a bit smaller than the BMW's. The center bar also stands closer to vertical than the BMW's which is at more of an angle when the bike is on the stand. As such it's easier to get off the stand than the BMW's. Getting them on the stand they are equal with both being quite easy once you've got the technique down.

Also, the extension that you step on to get the bike on the stand is longer on the BMW, shorter on the SW. When engaged, the end of this extension touches the ground giving it a 3rd point of contact making it more stable as a whole. The longer extension on the BMW would give it an advantage here. The SW also doesn't seem to interface with the ground as well as the BMW but more on a slight edge. Again, this lessens it's stability on the stand in comparison to the BMW center stand.

The cross brace bar is also lower to the ground on the BMW compared to the SW which my buddy says he prefers because when he parks it on the center stand on soft ground such as sand and loose dirt, the whole thing sinks to about that bar aiding in it's stability. I don't know that I agree with that but that is his belief and since he's had his since he's had his bike and I just got mind yesterday, I'll have to defer to him.

Lastly the SW-Motech brings the rear wheel up highter, much higher, than the BMW. I don't know if that would be advantageous or disadvantageous in any way.

All in all, I would have prefered to get the stock BMW center stand and pay the extra $50 rather than waiting for the SW-Motech. I don't believe the extra heavy duty build of the part is wanted or necessary as it just adds more weight although admittedly, I don't know what the factory one weights so I can't really compare the two. We both felt that it wasn't as stable as the factory part either and although the BMW was harder to get back on it's wheels, that was a positive for it's function. Those are our initial impressions and I don't know if they will change with time. Here are some pictures comparing the two. This 1st is the BMW & the 2nd is the SW-Motech.

EmanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #471
EmanP
Adventurer

He also just got and installed a Two Brothers Carbon Fiber slip-on exhaust canister the day before. We made a little video to compare that against my still stock exhaust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgu9zg15k4I

Right after this was taken I installed a Two Brothers Titanium slip-on exhaust canister that had 200 miles on it and a P1 PowerTip sound suppressor I bought off someone on this forum that was delievered earlier that day. We did another comparison video between the two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7N4kgU0zIc
Old 05-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #472
EmanP
Adventurer

And here is the Titanium canister holding the P1 PowerTip in place to compare with and without.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_r1HVuIs0k
Old 05-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #473
flkovacs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmanP View Post
After waiting for 2 months I finally got my SW-Motech center stand from Twisted Throttle which cost $180 + S/H ($195 total). My buddy came over and we got the chance to compare it with his BMW center stand which was an extra $50 because you had to get the mounting kit which was included with the SW-Motech. I took some pictures so that others might benifit when trying to figure out which one they would prefer.
thanks for the helpful writeup.
having to lift my old 500+lb bike on the center stand that became taller once i reduced the diameter of the front wheel made me opt for the BMW f800r stand, given that it's pretty low.

where i park my bike tends to get flooded regulartly (some pipe bursts up the hill, and voila, a flash flood), but it's never all that high - the only reason i'm thinking of having a taller stand as being an advantage,
ferenc, in california, where entropy is winning
flkovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:02 PM   #474
totomoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
recommendations for insurance?

Maybe this has been covered earlier but does anyone have recommendations for relatively affordable insurance? My quote came in at $800. I know that there are lots of variables but maybe someone has compared insurances with high coverage for liability, comprehensive and uninsured?
totomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:39 AM   #475
Half-Fast
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by totomoto View Post
Maybe this has been covered earlier but does anyone have recommendations for relatively affordable insurance? My quote came in at $800. I know that there are lots of variables but maybe someone has compared insurances with high coverage for liability, comprehensive and uninsured?
I get pretty cheap insurance by insuring my bike with the same company as my house and cars, Allstate.
Half-Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:33 AM   #476
EmanP
Adventurer

I think mine was about $280 for the year for full coverage with GMAC.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:50 AM   #477
moe.ron
Poor Dumb Bastard

Oddometer: 2,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Fast View Post
I get pretty cheap insurance by insuring my bike with the same company as my house and cars, Allstate.
What he said, State Farm though.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:19 PM   #478
gadgetguy1288
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge A. Storms View Post
What he said, State Farm though.
Same here.
gadgetguy1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:02 AM   #479
jonpurdy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmanP View Post
I think mine was about $280 for the year for full coverage with GMAC.
Dear god. You pay $2100 less than I do (27, male). I envy American insurance rates.
jonpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #480
moe.ron
Poor Dumb Bastard

Oddometer: 2,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpurdy View Post
Dear god. You pay $2100 less than I do (27, male). I envy American insurance rates.

You pay $2400 a year to insure a $11000 motorcycle?