Old 10-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #632
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 1,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac57 View Post
How long have you had yours?
About a week, give or take.

It took a few test-rides, some impatience, and a dash of insanity, because my v-strom really did everything the f800r does (except look cool). It was just one of those things.

The f800r clearly pulls better, the ratios of 1st and 2nd will take some getting used to (but not a big deal).

I just wish Sandy wasn't preventing me from riding this week.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:37 AM   #633
Terry007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Hey Everyone
Waiting for my F800R to be built should recieve if just in time for the snow :-)
Terry007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #634
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,644
Rode the R to work today. I usually ride to work on the GS 1200 but the R is a breath of fresh air. Not so heavy and I'm totally forgot out the slight forward tilt in seating position of some standard bikes. I rev the motor out to 6 or 7k and it feels solid. At that high of RPM 's the mirrors dance. I may add some BB's to the bars to quench the thirst for vibration.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #635
Bryster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Wicked

Another one here... in the blue! Just waiting for delivery. Ordered the Wilbers front and back, so flickable after the GSA....

(just noticed, avatar's going to have to change!)
Old 10-30-2012, 09:08 PM   #636
Terry007
Adventurer

Yeh I'm having the Racing Blue and White also was the first one to Test Ride my local dealers new demonstrater and loved it
Tested a Tiger 800 and a Street Triple R but felt the 8R was the one for me :-)
Old 11-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #637
flkovacs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry007 View Post
Yeh I'm having the Racing Blue and White also was the first one to Test Ride my local dealers new demonstrater and loved it
Tested a Tiger 800 and a Street Triple R but felt the 8R was the one for me :-)
just curious, what specifically about the f800r made you choose it over the tigger and the stripler :-),
ferenc

flkovacs screwed with this post 11-01-2012 at 07:29 PM
flkovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #638
Terry007
Adventurer

Laugh

The first of the 4 bikes i took for a test ride was the the Striple and i must admit the exhaust note was sweet and the handling was great but as me being a considerate person thought i would change gears when the shift indicator lights came on but they were telling me to change at about 3000 revs i know they can be configured to light at higher revs but on the test ride i just didn't feel the love.

The Tiger 800 was the second bike i took for a test ride even thou it wasn't the kind of bike i wanted i have to admit it put a huge smile on my face it just went where i pointed it and the acceleration was silky smooth.
But...
when i got to the dealer and told him i was gonna test ride the F800GS and the F800R before i make my decision all he did was point out the bad things about the Beemers, (this is important)

The week after i went to test ride a F800GS as my local dealer didn't have a F800R as a demonstrator due to the 2013 Paint changes etc so thought i would try the GS to compare it to the Tiger

and i have to be totally honest i couldn't get on with the GS Test Ride was so uncomfortable due to how high the Ride height was so at this point i was convinced i would get the Tiger

Had to wait Two weeks before the 2012 Show Room F800R became the Stores Demonstrator now after the GS my expectations were low sorry to say

until i got on the Bike and it just felt like it was made for me the smile i had on my face that i had on the tiger was on my face again all of my misconceptions about how bad the Vibes would be were quenched and that was my only worry.

now the (important) part

it was a a two horse race at this point the Tiger and The F800R and due to the fact that i don't like "ours are better than theirs" sale tactic as it is my decision to make not theirs
where as the BMW dealer just let me make my own mind no hard sell

So my Heart Said The F800R and my Mind said Go with BMW easy decision
Old 11-02-2012, 06:14 AM   #639
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 1,983
I was in a similar boat - I really liked the speed triple (not the street, didn't get a chance to test it).

The street would have been ok, but ABS was a big deal for me and that meant either a 2013 street or a speed (more money). The speed triple had me feeling like I'd have to hold it back - I expect I'd have felt the same on a big monster. The first time I merged onto the highway I ticked over 94 mph without even noticing (the gauges on the speed were set to kms, I had to do math after). That's scary fast to me, and the f800r is already plenty faster than my wee.

The heated grips on the f800r was like icing on the cake, as I'd want to add them to either tiger. If for some reason down the line I decide to add side cases and/or the luggage rack, there's better support for the f800r, too.

Edit: And I should say that I went into this with a slight anti-BMW bias. I expect if there had been a used street triple with ABS I'd have gone with that, but as abs is 2013 only that is impossible. The Monster 796 was a competitor (and had abs), but something about the ergos and the prodigious heat at stoplights made it seem like a bad choice for what might be an allrounder (will I sell the wee or won't I?).

Splitting hairs, in a way, all these naked bikes had interesting motors, had impressive fit and finish, seem to have okay service intervals. The f800r gets the best mileage, perhaps. I still loathe the torx fasteners. I don't have to look too closely at them when I'm moving, though.

ph0rk screwed with this post 11-02-2012 at 06:33 AM
ph0rk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #640
flkovacs
Gnarly Adventurer

now that i plan to keep my f800r (range issues resolved!) front suspension is the next to deal with, as anticipated.
for starters i will try a different viscosity oil and see if it fixes the front end dive ...
ferenc
ps on a recent road trip (hardly any stop/go commute traffic), the mpg(us) went up by 20% to over 60 ...

flkovacs screwed with this post 11-12-2012 at 12:52 PM
Old 11-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #641
EmanP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
I JUST got home from having my front end redone and that was one of the questions I asked the guy. He said replacing just the oil will make some difference but not enough to really amount to anything. In order to replace the oil it's all gotta come apart anyway so spend the $200 for parts and change the springs and put on some valve emulators. It's well worth the cost and about $400 total.
EmanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #642
flkovacs
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmanP View Post
I JUST got home from having my front end redone and that was one of the questions I asked the guy. He said replacing just the oil will make some difference but not enough to really amount to anything. In order to replace the oil it's all gotta come apart anyway so spend the $200 for parts and change the springs and put on some valve emulators. It's well worth the cost and about $400 total.
so, please remind me what you had put in?
tx,
ferenc
Old 11-12-2012, 10:58 PM   #643
EmanP
Adventurer

Sorry I didn't include that earlier. They guy knew what to do and had his preferences of parts/manufacturers since he does all the racers here in the PNW. We're pretty lucky out here since we've got an awesome suspension shop and dyno shop that everyone goes to. I'm sure you've got your own as well so you just need to figure out who they are. If you find the local forum for your area that handles riding and racing, they'll have all that info on there probably under a sponsor heading or some such thing. Our guys out here are Fluid Suspension Science and Brian is the guy that did the work for me. Our forums PNWRiders if you want something to look at.

He used RaceTech springs (the particular ones you use must be tuned to your weight, I think mine were .91's if I remember), Race Tech Fork Emulators (FEGV S4301 if you want to know specifics) and AMS20 oil. It was very close to what the guy did in this thread http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...k-Emulator-mod with heavier oil, springs matched to my weight and not raising the forks on reinstilation nearly as much as they did in the thread but we did raise them some for better/quicker response on turn in. 2 hour job and he said it was easy on this specific bike because how old fashioned the forks were. I noticed the difference right away when I took it for a test ride and on the way home (the guys almost 2 hours away and it was 40 - 50 degrees today) although I couldn't get too crazy because of the cold and wet (did I mention I'm in Seattle?). Didn't bottom out instantly like stock and I can brake MUCH more aggressively without losing front end feel/response. He predicted as much as 10 seconds off my lap times. Come summer, I'll be putting that to the test.

He also predicted that I'll probably notice that my rear sucks now which is something I might not have noticed before because the front was soo bad. He actually said it wasn't that bad, but it's definitely not the best and the only way to fix it is to replace it completely with a Progressive which was his preference in brands. But depending on how much money I'm willing to invest in it (what I do for a living that is), might not be worth it for me and what I'm planning on doing since it'll probably be about 1K. I'm not a doctor or lawyer so I don't know that the rear will be getting replaced anytime soon if at all.

Either way, get that front end redone. Suspension is always the first thing you fix right? For me it was the last but I crashed my bike and lost it for 8 weeks mid summer so I had to wait.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:26 AM   #644
flkovacs
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmanP View Post
Sorry I didn't include that earlier. They guy knew what to do and had his preferences of parts/manufacturers since he does all the racers here in the PNW. We're pretty lucky out here since we've got an awesome suspension shop and dyno shop that everyone goes to. I'm sure you've got your own as well so you just need to figure out who they are. If you find the local forum for your area that handles riding and racing, they'll have all that info on there probably under a sponsor heading or some such thing. Our guys out here are Fluid Suspension Science and Brian is the guy that did the work for me. Our forums PNWRiders if you want something to look at.

He used RaceTech springs (the particular ones you use must be tuned to your weight, I think mine were .91's if I remember), Race Tech Fork Emulators (FEGV S4301 if you want to know specifics) and AMS20 oil. It was very close to what the guy did in this thread http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...k-Emulator-mod with heavier oil, springs matched to my weight and not raising the forks on reinstilation nearly as much as they did in the thread but we did raise them some for better/quicker response on turn in. 2 hour job and he said it was easy on this specific bike because how old fashioned the forks were. I noticed the difference right away when I took it for a test ride and on the way home (the guys almost 2 hours away and it was 40 - 50 degrees today) although I couldn't get too crazy because of the cold and wet (did I mention I'm in Seattle?). Didn't bottom out instantly like stock and I can brake MUCH more aggressively without losing front end feel/response. He predicted as much as 10 seconds off my lap times. Come summer, I'll be putting that to the test.

He also predicted that I'll probably notice that my rear sucks now which is something I might not have noticed before because the front was soo bad. He actually said it wasn't that bad, but it's definitely not the best and the only way to fix it is to replace it completely with a Progressive which was his preference in brands. But depending on how much money I'm willing to invest in it (what I do for a living that is), might not be worth it for me and what I'm planning on doing since it'll probably be about 1K. I'm not a doctor or lawyer so I don't know that the rear will be getting replaced anytime soon if at all.

Either way, get that front end redone. Suspension is always the first thing you fix right? For me it was the last but I crashed my bike and lost it for 8 weeks mid summer so I had to wait.
Thanks for the details. Yes, Progressive I spoke with last year about the '11 I had, but noticed some folks are using a 'Wilbur' product. You are right, I installed a similar Progressive solution on my old VX800 and it fixed the front, but brought to light the limited rear. It is one of the two reasons the VX800 is no longer my main ride.

I will contract Progressive later this week and see what they can do.

Thanks, and sorry to hear about your crash - anything to do with the front end dive? Glad to see you and your bike are together with you in the saddle again,
Ferenc
Old 11-13-2012, 05:54 AM   #645
EmanP
Adventurer

It was the rear the slipped out and then caught that caused my issue although that particular track didn't do well with my constantly bottoming out front since it was nothing but tight, fast, technical turns with lots of elevation difference on half the turns.