Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2011, 02:15 AM   #91
Corbets
Gravity Slave

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
I'm more interested on the magic fuel source that they have going on! They must have found some way to produce fuel on board, and the system seems to be very compact too!
Nah, they just store the fuel in the tires instead of wasting valuable space with all that air!
Corbets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:16 PM   #92
uconnapharm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
I am 99% convinced that my next new bike purchase should
be a BMW F800R .
The only issue holding me back from making the purchase is :
BRAKES : ABS or no ABS .

I have been riding 42 years , had a bike always in the garage the last 3o years.
Never owned a bike with ABS.
I have read many articles on this subject.
I agree it is 100% a safer system.
Yet I am uncertain about making such a large change in riding habits.

Rather than ask for opinions on ; ABS - Yes or No ?
I would like to hear about what others have experienced in the
transition from No ABS to ABS ( ??? ) AFTER buying a F800R,
uconnapharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:27 PM   #93
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,352
My F800R is the first bike I have had with ABS, and I have had around 60 different bikes since starting riding. I have done 1,000 miles since owning the bike, some pretty fast miles as well. I have not come close to provoking the ABS and find the brakes very good for feel and modulation.

I did not set out to buy a bike with ABS, and if buying new I probably wouldn't have paid the extra for it. But, it was an ex demo bike I bought and I wanted that particular colour (orange), it was at a very good price (less than other non ABS bikes) so I bought it.

So in conclusion, so far I haven't noticed the ABS is there, wet or dry, fast or slow. In some ways I suppose it adds a little extra security in the back of your mind, but it hasn't changed how I ride or brake.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:57 PM   #94
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by uconnapharm View Post
I am 99% convinced that my next new bike purchase should
be a BMW F800R .
The only issue holding me back from making the purchase is :
BRAKES : ABS or no ABS .

I have been riding 42 years , had a bike always in the garage the last 3o years.
Never owned a bike with ABS.
I have read many articles on this subject.
I agree it is 100% a safer system.
Yet I am uncertain about making such a large change in riding habits.

Rather than ask for opinions on ; ABS - Yes or No ?
I would like to hear about what others have experienced in the
transition from No ABS to ABS ( ??? ) AFTER buying a F800R,
I don't own a F800R.. but the riding habits you mention.. I'm not sure what
you'd need to change, you ride the bike like you would a non-ABS bike, it's
just there when you need it and you don't have to 'adjust/adapt' to anything
new realistically.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:38 AM   #95
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,014
ABS is for the most part, transparent to the rider. You do not have to "learn" how to ride a bike with ABS, just like you don't need to "learn" how to ride a bike with fuel injection.

However, it will immedaietly loose it's transparency when it saves your bacon.
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:04 AM   #96
uconnapharm
Gnarly Adventurer

Great ! Thanks !

Now my only decision left to make is ,
if I want to enter a "life" with No More "backing it in " corners ,
and other assorted hi-jinx.

Switchable ABS is the one thing that has that 5% of me ,
that keeps saying , take a look at a Tiger 800 ABS
( at least you can shut off the ABS if you wish )

Thanks Again
Old 05-31-2011, 12:27 PM   #97
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,014
We didn't know the Tiger 800 was another option here:
Hands down I'd buy the Tiger before the BMW. It'll do everything the BMW will, and more.
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:51 AM   #98
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
ABS is for the most part, transparent to the rider. You do not have to "learn" how to ride a bike with ABS, just like you don't need to "learn" how to ride a bike with fuel injection.

However, it will immedaietly loose it's transparency when it saves your bacon.

Having never had a vehicle with ABS in my life (Bike or Car!) and after owning about 18 or 19 bikes prior to buying my 2009 F800ST, I will respectfully disagree with you here.

I've been riding for around 40 years, and have never had an accident where I crashed or hit something due to locked up front or rear brakes under any circumstances, panic/emergency or not. Locked up or close to locking up the brakes? Sure! Nearly every day! Ever crashed? No!

I didn't really want ABS on my new bike, but thought meh, what the heck, fine, I'll cave and go with the masses this time.

My braking *is* significantly different now, on my BMW. I can't use the rear brake at all going over any kind of chatter bumps, as it simply clacks away noisily and appears to totally divorce itself from slowing rear wheel revolution.

The front brake abandons ship and allows me to gracefully sail through crosswalks and into intersections if those same small bumps or irregular pavement bits are present that make the rear brake take a siesta.

That was *my* first welcome to the wonderful joys and ultimate safety of the temple of ABS. Something completely unremarkable as far as braking goes, on a perfectly dry sunny day, with no need or reason to fear what my actions on a motorcycle would produce.

Hitting a few bumps coming up to a red light, and having both the front and rear brakes remove my ability to stop using my own judgement, and causing me to overshoot my target, go through the crosswalk and partially into an intersection.

I would classify my ABS as Opaque versus transparent.

Now, I don't feel/listen for any chirping or sensations that gave me valuable clues as to what my traction is at any given moment, I am scared of bumps and braking at the same time, and find myself paranoid and mistrustful of my machine not doing WTF I want it to do.

Strange that I could do two finger flip over stoppies at will on my skinny, knobby tired, two story tall DR350, rode it in the rain year in year out winter/summer and put tens of thousands of daily commuting and touring km's on it, and gee, I never needed to fear or mistrust it, or have it try to outguess me when I didn't need/want it too. (and I dare say I did more than a few emergency stops due to idiot drivers during that time as well)

So, pencil me in for the: Hates ABS and thinks it sucks section of the survey. Maybe I'm the only person on the planet who feels this way, or somehow after all these years of riding I am "doing it wrong".

All I know, is I jump on my Honda CBR (without ABS) after riding my 800, and can happily do flip over stoppies again, and *gasp* gosh darn it, suddenly somehow I am "doing it right" again...

L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:18 AM   #99
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
Having never had a vehicle with ABS in my life (Bike or Car!) and after owning about 18 or 19 bikes prior to buying my 2009 F800ST, I will respectfully disagree with you here.
I think I'm right in saying that the F800R ABS system has differences to the one on the F800S / F800ST. Certainly the symptoms you have described on your bike are not there on mine, and cannot be ascribed to me treating the bike gently.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:21 AM   #100
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bar View Post
I think I'm right in saying that the F800R ABS system has differences to the one on the F800S / F800ST. Certainly the symptoms you have described on your bike are not there on mine, and cannot be ascribed to me treating the bike gently.

Dammit! Story of my life. Why do *I* always pick the weird models.

Meh, at least including GF's in that statement, I'm on par, anyway.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:31 AM   #101
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
My braking *is* significantly different now, on my BMW. I can't use the rear brake at all going over any kind of chatter bumps, as it simply clacks away noisily and appears to totally divorce itself from slowing rear wheel revolution.

The front brake abandons ship and allows me to gracefully sail through crosswalks and into intersections if those same small bumps or irregular pavement bits are present that make the rear brake take a siesta.
I've got no issues like these on my ER6F ABS with it's (probably) most basic
cheapo ABS system ever.

One condition though.

WHEN and IF stuff like you wrote above happens, you MUST pull in (step on)
BOTH brakes 100% and let the ABS work.

If/when I don't, the result (here, on my bike) is what you described before.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 06-02-2011, 11:41 AM   #102
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
I've got no issues like these on my ER6F ABS with it's (probably) most basic
cheapo ABS system ever.

One condition though.

WHEN and IF stuff like you wrote above happens, you MUST pull in (step on)
BOTH brakes 100% and let the ABS work.

If/when I don't, the result (here, on my bike) is what you described before.
Believe me, I was worried I was going to bend or snap both the lever and pedal, when I discovered I was not stopping. For sure I was 100% OMFG brake mode, and yup, the ABS absolutely worked! It completely prevented me from going anywhere near locking up either tire.

The advice I was given at the F800Riders forum for future, was to start off with the rear brake just prior to using the front, as using the front first/alone as I have always done, takes away enough weight from the rear wheel to make it engage ABS the very instant you step on the pedal.

Then, there seems to be some funky decisions made by the computer if it sees the rear wheel as "locked" and you are now grabbing a big handful of front brake, it feels exactly like it just "lets go". You don't get the sensation of heavy braking, with a system chattering away "doing something", it totally just feels like gives up braking at all!

The closest feeling duplication I can equate this to, was the bad old days of brakes that faded so badly that you couldn't stop, if you got too frisky during backroad burning.

So, I have had to alter my riding style to conform to the bike's weird set up, (along with the stupid turn signal bizarrness, but that's another story) relearn how to brake, and it is defineitely not "transparent", to me.

I should make perfectly clear, that this is only when braking over irregular surfaces. In all honestly, braking under smooth conditions or in the rain and so on, I can't really say I have anything to complain about. I will concede that maybe it doesn't 100% suck all the time, but since I ride a lot on rough bumpy pavement, it is in my face all the time which I sure don't care for.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #103
Cortez
BAZINGA!

I have read a lot of threads about F800S/ST ABS system from 2006 or 2007 and onward since I always liked that bike and considered it as a good replacement
for my kawasaki, and I must say that there were a LOT of ABS horror stories
with this one on more then one forum, so this could be one of those bikes.

I'm sure the BMW (at least now) uses a superior system to what I have on
my kawasaki, but I have NEVER had anything like that happen before and
maybe once or twice in almost 20k miles did I think that I could have stopped
faster without ABS, but ABS activating in those situations is what kept me
from dropping the bike in the first place.

I don't see myself ever owning a bike without ABS again (if I can help it).

Old 06-02-2011, 05:53 PM   #104
uconnapharm
Gnarly Adventurer

I am going to look at a F800R ( shine yellow ) tomorrow morning

heated grips
ABS
onboard computer
clear turn indicators

$11,890

Have any purchasers in the last several months been able to make any deals ???
Any suggestions , any advice ???
Old 06-03-2011, 02:21 AM   #105
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
Quote:

So, pencil me in for the: Hates ABS and thinks it sucks section of the survey. Maybe I'm the only person on the planet who feels this way, or somehow after all these years of riding I am "doing it wrong".

]
That's me too, but I think its more to do with BMW abs. It works ok on my RT (heavy bike) but the 800 GS I had it was a night mare, down right dangerous. Given the choice I will always choose a bike without ABS.