User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2011, 10:56 PM   #226
Chadleys1
working on it

Oddometer: 561
Great work !!

Man, I think you did a great job on this real-world bike.
I love it.
Glad to read that it fared well on your big trip, even on the Big Dog ride. Wow.
Terrific job, and thanks for posting.
-CLC
Old 12-14-2011, 05:19 PM   #227
Skowinski
Chordate

Oddometer: 4,490
Gotta admit, there's lots of curious builds in here, but this one is the most, um, different...
Old 01-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #228
johnwesley OP
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,502
he is a pic from the Big Dog ride. The sporty is playing dirty

been out in the shop today banging around on it some. I've taken the rear tank off and putting the stock rear fender back on so I can take a passenger with me if I choose. Shocks are off and being rebuilt so I have some time to play, besides I got a big touring bike to play with in the cold weather. Not that we have really had much of that this year
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #229
Crazylegs Bob
Tiger Tamer

Oddometer: 109
That hill with the baby heads looks seriously steep and hard to navigate..... you have some big balls my friend!
Crazylegs Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:27 AM   #230
johnwesley OP
wanta be

Thanks it is called radical hill just across from Red Cone, and Webster pass.

here is proof I really did ride it

Old 01-09-2012, 07:28 AM   #231
JimmyTheHog
Low Speed Adventurer

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazylegs Bob View Post
That hill with the baby heads looks seriously steep and hard to navigate..... you have some big balls my friend!
+1000 !

09 R12GSA, 2013 SC3 Adventure
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657449
http://www.carduccidualsport.com
JimmyTheHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #232
johnwesley OP
wanta be

waiting on the shocks to come back from a rebuild and revalve, so I have been playing around with the tail section. No real need for the 400 mile range I had since i don't have any plans to go back to Inuvik anytime soon. I have dumped about 20lbs off the bike now.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #233
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,089
Thumb

I've been following yours and Jimmy's builds with much interest. I have a '97 XL1200S that I'm thinking of converting as well, not as radical as either of yours, more of a fire road runner like a Ulysses. That said the majority of work would consist of replaceing the 16" rear with an 18" hoop, the rear shocks would be replaced with 16" Works Performance but I'd keep the stock swingarm for now, and then replace the front forks with either the KTM's that Jimmy used or else a set of 2" overstock tubes with race-tech internals. I'd like to stay with the 19" wheel in front for street use, do you think I'd gain much in off road ability by going with a 21" front? Thanks again for sharing all your experience with us!
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:29 PM   #234
johnwesley OP
wanta be

for what you want to do the 19" would be fine. With the sport your already in the v-strom area of travel so you may just want to do the shocks first and see how you like it. For the rear rim I would go with the 17" especially with the 19" front hoop, your tire choices would be better matched. With a mild build sportster it would be a awesome back road/ gravel road burner. You will have a new appreciation of that off idle tq when your drifting through the corners.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #235
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks John, I'd noticed a lack of tires for 18" wheels but they're a stock Custom Chrome part. It'll be harder (and more expensive) to get my hands on the 17" wheel but still doable. I'm placing the order for the shocks first though, Works Pro piggybacks 15" long and a set of Works dual rate springs for 2" overstock tubes I'll drop in a set of Race Tech emulators while I'm at it. I'll ride it like that for a while until I figure out the tire/wheel situation.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:08 AM   #236
aposaric
Garden mechanic ;-)

Oddometer: 242

Fantastic stuf, and interesting read. I really think that this picture sums it all :-)
aposaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #237
johnwesley OP
wanta be

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnbow View Post
Thanks John, I'd noticed a lack of tires for 18" wheels but they're a stock Custom Chrome part. It'll be harder (and more expensive) to get my hands on the 17" wheel but still doable. I'm placing the order for the shocks first though, Works Pro piggybacks 15" long and a set of Works dual rate springs for 2" overstock tubes I'll drop in a set of Race Tech emulators while I'm at it. I'll ride it like that for a while until I figure out the tire/wheel situation.
If you have a a sport then you have cartridge forks already and no need for emulators.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:11 AM   #238
I Am Murphy
Vagabond Sportster

Oddometer: 111
front end

Hey John, your build is an inspiration, and the footage of your travels only drives me further to follow in your footsteps. I have been putting together my parts list and plans for the past two weeks, and am having a hard time figuring out a better way to go about assembling a front end. Would you be willing to share the drawings and dimensions you took to the machine shop to create the metric to sae adapter you used to attach your forks? Also, what specific forks did you use? I saw that they were yz, but I wasn't able to find anything more specific. Thanks man, I'll try to keep everybody updated once I get started on my build.
I Am Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #239
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwesley View Post
If you have a a sport then you have cartridge forks already and no need for emulators.
Yeah but I'm already thinking of replacing the front end. I may just polish/clearcoat the Sport front end and put it on my FXRS and then put a KTM 525 front on the Sportster... That or 2" overstock tubes and emulators on the sportster. It actually looks like the KTM might end up cheaper by a few bucks and just as easily done. Plus the KTM would be stiffer and easier to spring and valve the way I'll want it.
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #240
gplane
Brush With Destiny

Oddometer: 728
Nice machine!
Very well done!
gplane is offline   Reply With Quote