User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2011, 09:25 PM   #31
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,262
wow nice !
I'd love to see a TV show like cafe racer that shows adv builds like these, way better then OC chopper ass jewelry shows.

post on, great project !
Old 03-12-2011, 05:32 AM   #32
bzrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayChile View Post
wow nice !
I'd love to see a TV show like cafe racer that shows adv builds like these, way better then OC chopper ass jewelry shows.

post on, great project !
bzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:43 AM   #33
johnwesley OP
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,525
just for a heads up the baker kit will not fit a sportster. I bought it through a vender that listed it as fitting a 2000-2003 model but the hub center on the sprocket is 2.450 and the hub is 2.216.After calling Baker they said there was not a kit for the sportster only the buell. So the kit is going back and I have ordered direct from PBI. They have the right sprockets and are the ones who build the sprockets in the Baker kit.

Also of note the baker kit comes with a non O-ring diamond chain. Not the best quality chain out. For the same money I'll get a x-ring DID. It is less expensive to buy the parts than it is to get the kit and you end up with better parts
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:49 PM   #34
gregg
gregg

Oddometer: 177
I will look but think I found out it is the same as the big twin????
Here as far as I got.
We know that the front sprocket will fit a BT 5 speed

PBI part#281 . This is the Number for the sprocket with the number behind
for tooth count.
Part number 281-22

Now what is the rear sprocket????? I'm going to guess a BT rear with a spacer??????????

gregg screwed with this post 03-16-2011 at 05:06 PM
gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:36 PM   #35
johnwesley OP
wanta be

I went through PBI and got the sprockets I needed. All is well with the world now. Today a few parts came in and I am stoked. It late right now and I have to be in a conference early in the am so the picks will have to wait.

unfortunately the main parts that are keeping me from getting the wheels on are still out. So waiting on the swingarm and the steering stem
Old 03-17-2011, 03:28 PM   #36
johnwesley OP
wanta be

I had a little time for mock up on the handle bar set up HDB did a great job with the kit. Sorry for the bad pic I am pressed for time

I have the rearsets in but will have to wait on the front sprocket to come in before mounting
Old 03-17-2011, 10:07 PM   #37
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,388
It is going to look great!!

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:04 PM   #38
johnwesley OP
wanta be

finally got time for some better pics

There is still a ton of work to do like wiring, fairing, brakes, fuel cell, skid plate and crash bars. But I am holding until its a roller so I can make sure it all fits and looks like it should, or what I think it should. I have most of it figured out as far as mounting goes.

Today was still good got a lot of weork done on the Tiger project. I know have a quick remove fuel cell that interchanges with the passenger seat. Also got a rear rack mounted and ordered a top box

Getting the Tiger ready just in case these custom parts keep holding me up and the sporty isn't together in time
Old 03-21-2011, 07:05 PM   #39
johnwesley OP
wanta be

Question help

Ok so I need help. the time has come to choose the coating for the swing arm and the options are open. I have honestly not given any thought to the coatings so I am at a draw here. BTR suggests that I use nickel, for the toughness of it and the looks. I am not sure how it would look on the sporty with the all black motif. So what will be on the end of the bike is the rim with black hub and rim laced with stainless steel, aluminum sprocket and rear brake with black center. Then all else will be high gloss black paint or powder coat. So what are your thoughts?
Old 03-21-2011, 08:25 PM   #40
JimmyTheHog
Low Speed Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Nickel or paint ?

My 2cents - If you keep the chrome air filter cover, then a Nickel swingarm might look good and balance it out. But its hard to go wrong with black powder coat.

09 R12GSA, 2013 SC3 Adventure
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657449
http://www.carduccidualsport.com
JimmyTheHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:31 PM   #41
mitt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
looks cool.

mitt
Old 03-24-2011, 08:12 PM   #42
johnwesley OP
wanta be

So we have a swing arm being shipped tomorrow. We're second guessing the whole single shock idea. It may be better to run duals and keep the stress even on the arm and frame. Rick has been a big help with this whole thing and has a few idea's up his sleeve. He is the man when it comes to suspension.

anyway here is a sneak preview

So I am holding off on the coating until I have it mounted and make sure all is well. Looks like I'll be adding a rub block and possible a chain guide. who knows what else maybe some brake cable guides
Old 03-24-2011, 08:23 PM   #43
JimmyTheHog
Low Speed Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Very Nice ! Looks like he knows where the high stress points are with the added side gussets.

Looks like we will both be test fitting the arms soon...

09 R12GSA, 2013 SC3 Adventure
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657449
http://www.carduccidualsport.com
JimmyTheHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:32 AM   #44
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwesley View Post
So we have a swing arm being shipped tomorrow. We're second guessing the whole single shock idea. It may be better to run duals and keep the stress even on the arm and frame. Rick has been a big help with this whole thing and has a few idea's up his sleeve. He is the man when it comes to suspension.

anyway here is a sneak preview

So I am holding off on the coating until I have it mounted and make sure all is well. Looks like I'll be adding a rub block and possible a chain guide. who knows what else maybe some brake cable guides
Lookin' good. It's nice to see a bike conversion done "properly" every once in a while Just get that swingarm done so Rick can finish my custom shock I'm waiting for
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:55 AM   #45
johnwesley OP
wanta be

Laugh

I'm only holding him up about 30 min a week. BTRmoto.com did the arm, Rick has just been tossing out ideas with the shock set up. He does like to blam me on stuff though.

johnwesley screwed with this post 03-25-2011 at 01:37 PM