ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2011, 12:42 PM   #1
Tripletreat OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Big Twin in Boise, Id.

Went over to Big Twin motorcycles here in Boise this morning, wondering when/if I could have a look at the new Triumph 800 in the flesh. Henry explained that wasn't gonna happen. Big Twin is no longer a Triumph dealer :-( I'm not even sure Big Twin will be a Ducati dealer either. It's pretty much BMW from wall to wall.
I don't believe there is a Triumph dealer in all of Idaho. That's a certifiable bummer. Triumph is producing some fine machines these days, but not having a dealer in the state is a problem for me.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
grinns
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripletreat View Post
Went over to Big Twin motorcycles here in Boise this morning, wondering when/if I could have a look at the new Triumph 800 in the flesh. Henry explained that wasn't gonna happen. Big Twin is no longer a Triumph dealer :-( I'm not even sure Big Twin will be a Ducati dealer either. It's pretty much BMW from wall to wall.
I don't believe there is a Triumph dealer in all of Idaho. That's a certifiable bummer. Triumph is producing some fine machines these days, but not having a dealer in the state is a problem for me.
That dealers pretty sweet. I blew out a rear on my GS and they replaced it after hours at the end of the day. Even waited for me to get towed in.

grinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,916
Big Twin = great service

I flew into Boise last fall to pick up my new, to me, 1150RT. Before I even got there on Saturday morning, they checked it over, changed the oil, and installed a new rear tire for the PO. They are great people.
"
Adventure is worthwhile." ~ Aristotle
Airhead #14449
WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:04 PM   #4
Tripletreat OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
I agree and I agree. I just hope this paring down of their offerings doesn't continue. It would be a very sad day if they were to fold up their tent once and for all, as so many other dealers seem to be doing.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,039
I read this a while back:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=4391
Old 02-20-2011, 05:32 PM   #6
emmettken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,901
I always liked Big Twin. Bought a couple of bikes from them,new and used.
emmettken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:42 AM   #7
WormShanks
b00b

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripletreat View Post
A lot of rumors swirling around early last year that someone would pick up Triumph in Idaho. Seems like a year should've been enough time . Seriously though, anyone have any information that this is about to happen? My interest is piqued again with the Explorer announcement.

Ridden: AF AM AW AU AT AZ BS BH BD BB BY BW BV BR IO BN BG BF BI KH CM CA CZ DK SV GQ ER EE ET FK GI GR GP VA HN HK HU IS IN ID IR IQ KI KP KG LA LV LB LU NR NP NL AN NC NZ NI NE NO OM PK PR QA RE RO RU RW LC VC WS SM ST TM TC TV UG UA AE GB US UY UZ VU YE
WormShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:07 AM   #8
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,209
Boise is a tough market right now for bike dealers. Unless a dealer carries watercraft and snowmobiles they're unlikely to risk taking on another brand, as did Carl's with KTM. Triumph is not considered to be a volumn seller, yet, so I see it as very unlikely that someone would take on Triumph as a sole brand.

I used to go over to BigTwin just to drool, when they carried a decent selection. Now I just don't bother. Tires and oil are about the only things I ever bought there, so I was never thought of as a good customer and was denied a test ride on several occasions. Riding a Honda probably didn't help.
viajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:20 AM   #9
dipper_skipper
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Refined BIG TWIN

Fred at the TWIN tells me that Triumph wanted him to floor way more motorcycles than made sense. As for the Ducati's... they just couldn't make any money on the units or sell enough of them to warrant having someone deal with all the warranty issues and service demands.

Enjoy the ride. There is no return ticket

dipper_skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
WormShanks
b00b

Hey, it looks like we got our dealer in Birds of Prey Motorsports in Caldwell. Finally!

http://www.birdsofpreymotorsports.com/default.asp

Ridden: AF AM AW AU AT AZ BS BH BD BB BY BW BV BR IO BN BG BF BI KH CM CA CZ DK SV GQ ER EE ET FK GI GR GP VA HN HK HU IS IN ID IR IQ KI KP KG LA LV LB LU NR NP NL AN NC NZ NI NE NO OM PK PR QA RE RO RU RW LC VC WS SM ST TM TC TV UG UA AE GB US UY UZ VU YE
Old 07-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #11
JUNBUG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Yup Birds of Prey Motorsports has about 20 that just hit the ground.
JUNBUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:02 PM   #12
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 12,987
WTF is Caldwell?,,and why would I go there?

(certain favorite heartfelt feelings for the folks at Big Twin,,prejudiced?,,,well yeah!,honestly,,yeah. Good folks!)

(not in the market for a trumpet),,,(unless ittsa 1960's),,the leaky ones!

peterman screwed with this post 07-13-2012 at 11:14 PM
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:06 AM   #13
willis 2000
neo-quixote

Oddometer: 2,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterman View Post
WTF is Caldwell?,,and why would I go there?

(certain favorite heartfelt feelings for the folks at Big Twin,,prejudiced?,,,well yeah!,honestly,,yeah. Good folks!)

(not in the market for a trumpet),,,(unless ittsa 1960's),,the leaky ones!
I live in Nampa and bought a Street Triple from Big Twin.
I like having a local Triumph dealer again, but Big Twin is a place operated by motorcycle enthusiasts.
Henry retired a month ago.
Their latest email wants me to test-ride the Zero all-electric bikes they have now.
Man, I'm tempted, but the idea of no exhaust sound to alert cagers to my presence would take some getting used to.
Maybe they make a straight-pipe soundtrack hooked to the throttle.
willis 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #14
WormShanks
b00b

What do people think of Birds of Prey? Good folks? For some reason I've always thought it was more of an ATV shop so I've never actually been in there.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:31 AM   #15
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by WormShanks View Post
What do people think of Birds of Prey? Good folks? For some reason I've always thought it was more of an ATV shop so I've never actually been in there.

I was just in there Saturday and after being ignored by the parts staff and the sales staff for ten minutes I went on down the road. My first impression isn't too good. I was told it is owned by the same guy that owns the Harley dealer in Meridian.