User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2011, 07:37 PM   #1
skierd OP
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,858
Chasing dreams and the ghost of my soul

Fair warning, this will get personal. An e-journal, with little held back. Language may be coarse, the content may get dark or bizarre, but its as much or more for me as it is for you all. I think maybe sharing it openly will help me.

I'm tired. I'm loosing it, or have I already lost it? I hate the 20-something year old children that go to my school, that live in and trash my neighborhood, that I'm going to end up working with or teaching, and have no desire to participate in this bullshit anymore. Screw my overpriced pest infested apartment complex, the path to 'success', this winter bullshit, fuck it all. I'm done, I'm out. Taking my ball and going...

I don't sleep well at night anymore. Dreaming of the openness of the Plains, the massifs of the Rockies, the sands of the beach and the desert, keeps me awake, calling to me. The simplicity of life on the road. Can't ignore it, can't shake it, just gotta go... just gotta go...

I think I come to this wanderlust honest at least, from my Dad's side anyways. My Great Grandparents immigrated to America. Grandparents traveled every year, all over the country, until they divorced, and my grandfather was a tour bus driver to satisfy his need to move about. My father retired and has spent the last 2 years more or less wandering the earth without spending more than 9 months in any one place. Several cross country trip, china, backpacked across Europe, and is currently somewhere in Alaska last I talked to him, itching to get going again.

My own travels started when I was 8, the summer after my parents divorced. My dad handed me a map and a highlighter and let me plan the summer vacation. Six or seven weeks and we did a whirlwind tour of the US. Every year after that we would spend most of my summer vacation on the road, the best way to talk me out of wanting a new toy or video game was to say "you can have this now, or we can put the money towards the trip this summer". The trip always won. The last trip we took together was when I was 15, toured Western Europe.

I'm 27 now. When I was 25, I was finally able to make my first multiweek trip since that trip to Europe and chose to ride the TAT to Salida. 22 days and the seeds were planted... I have to go back. I have to see the desert and the mountains and the plains. I have to see the Pacific this time. And I don't have to come back.

The plan is to head south to where its warm(er), the west, until I run out of land. Then figure something out from there. I've got money in the bank, GPS tracks, waypoints, the TAT, OBDR, CDT, and more loaded to go, the bike has had all her shots and services, and I'm currently sorting my luggage, putting what needs to be kept into storage or safe keeping, and mentally preparing myself for this. I'm looking to take the Autotrain to Florida, riding to Key West (my fourth and final corner of the lower 48), then along the gulf coast, New Orleans, San Antonio, Austin, and west along the border eventually to San Diego. But nothing is set in stone. I want to keep riding until I find somewhere that feels right.

So follow along if you will. I hope you enjoy the journey, hopefully I do too. All I know is I'm looking for something out there, part of me that's missing or is just hiding maybe, or just fulfilling the dreams laid down nearly 20 years ago with that highlighter and the experiences of so many yesterdays.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,316
Figure it out as you go along, that's the best plan!

Old 02-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
Still Running
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Go for it !!
Old 02-19-2011, 07:48 PM   #4
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,383
Do it now while you can. I travel all over for work, but never travel for myself. Subscribed
WVhillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:13 PM   #5
Dirtnadvil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
Good luck on the journey. Everybody needs a mental enema every so often. When you make it to California I have an extra room. I am located 50 miles north of San Diego, near Laguna. I also have a WR2....
Dirtnadvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:44 PM   #6
fyre42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Subscribed

Good luck and enjoy the journey!!

fyre42 screwed with this post 02-20-2011 at 04:23 PM
fyre42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:46 PM   #7
Timboat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Road Trip

Nice ! Good luck !

Also space available on the CDT (400 yards off of it) in Steamboat CO.!

Roll on back to someplace you ain't never been" Dicky Betts

Timboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:52 AM   #8
DRglidarn
Panzer pilot

Oddometer: 450
Thumb

I'm in, I will follow you along.
DRglidarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:53 AM   #9
greenmtndave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
I'm so envious.
Not all those who wander are lost.
Answers will come with time.
Good luck.
greenmtndave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:10 AM   #10
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,086
Off to a great start!

Sub.

Scribed.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:45 AM   #11
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,071
Nice opening. I'm along for this one.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:22 AM   #12
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,322
Mile 10 take a left - free camping. But you may want to sleep with a pillow under your gun.

Now I prefer an elevation greater than 10 foot to clear my head but do understand how you're feelin. Have a safe trip and thanks for takin us along. Start date?
Old 02-20-2011, 08:31 AM   #13
skierd OP
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,858
End of this week to early next week. I'm still not happy with how everything is packed. I need to stop fiddling, or I just need to get it right and tight.

I'm trying to avoid side rack, else I'd just have dirtbaz again. But this is too top heavy, visually anyways, to really please me...

sideways, out of the wind...

crossways... too close to the exhaust?

FWIW, top bag is my clothes in a waterproof compression sack, down sleeping bag in a wateproof compression sack, BA IAC sleeping pad, 2 MSR bottles, front and rear spare tubes, air pillow, toiletries, mallet for pounding stakes, and a camp towel. Left saddle bag are camp shoes (actually soft, floppy boots), cook kit (alcohol stove, small pot, fork, lid, handle, sierra cup, and fuel), and my tent stakes. Right bag is reserved for shelter, which will likely be a golite hex3 with nest in addition to a bivy and small tarp. The pole will go in the duffel. Tools in the tank bag.

Packing for wintry and swing season conditions blows, summer stuff is small and lightweight, winter stuff is necessarily bulkier.

If anyone has a suggestion for carrying spare tubes other than 'not', which I'd like to do but don't trust patches all that well, I'm all ears. Jesus these things take up a ton of space. So does the air pad fwiw, but damn its comfortable.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:34 AM   #14
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,383
When are you leaving? Soon from the looks of it
WVhillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:05 AM   #15
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,302
Ok I'm in.......have a wr250x.