Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2011, 05:10 AM   #46
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,235
If you need a place to stay in south Florida on the Gulf Coast between March 2-13 send a PM. Safe travels while chasing your dreams.

"The wide universe is the ocean I travel
And the Earth is my blue boat home"

Peter Mayer

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/

Nice_Rumble screwed with this post 02-21-2011 at 06:43 AM
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:40 AM   #47
akula802
Oil Whisperer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
I want to keep riding until I find somewhere that feels right.

I picture myself in your shoes next spring, or sooner if my "fuck it" moment happens before then. Your RR, and the others I read through here, help to keep the dream alive.

It's a bit cold now, but if you end up in Minnesota, this fellow WR-jockey would like to buy you a beer.

Betting the world on a pair of fives
akula802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:55 AM   #48
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,818
I say you are doing the right thing. For you, now is the time to do want you want to do, and have no regrets. It's good to not have any responsibilities.

Don't get me wrong, I love my wife, dogs and having my own home...but they are all responsibilities. And the old cliche, You don't own your processions, they own you. So true. I am 37 now, and wish I had discovered the "adventure touring" aspect of motorcycling years ago..before all the responsibility.

Go and live the fuck out of life.....no regrets, no what ifs. Have fun, be safe, and thanks for taking us along.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:08 AM   #49
Dozer1
i ride your bike

Oddometer: 298
wtf, I disappear from the tor for a few weeks and this?! well, shit. fucking awesome. listen, if you need anything and I have it, you're more than welcome to it. I've got a set of small pelican cases laying around, some camping shit, bags, mats, etc...some moto gear, camera shit...anyway just shoot me a PM and I'll hook you up, at the very least a beer before a journey of this epicness!
"Once again there is tons of South Americans, Europeans and miscellanious Asians strolling around but dang few Americans. They are probably busy working overtime saving up for just the right bike, gps, saddle bags, blue tooth, crash bars, audio mixer/wahatever. Work harder, faster I am sure that next bike will be the one to make you happy."
www.flickr.com/noahscialom
Dozer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:43 AM   #50
hillbilly red
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Place to stay, free food and drinks in Columbia, MO just off of I-70 if I'm in town when you come through! Got a floor jack and tools. I travel a lot so may be out of town but let me know!
Good luck!!
hillbilly red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:06 AM   #51
chinditone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Be open to learn as you go.

Life is too big for anyone to understand - and we all have a place in it - which is why we are here. Jn14:18

You will not only be learning - but will be teaching as you learn and share - which is why life is such fun - and has such a communal aspect.
chinditone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:43 AM   #52
squirrelnator
Mystical Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Let me know if you need anything near Houston, but frankly I would suggest you pass through here and stop in Austin. Much better area for the kind of thing you are doing.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:08 PM   #53
skierd OP
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,873
I was planning initially on leaving tomorrow, but a few delays popped up and I'm having to wait. Good thing too, as everything is getting a nice coating of ice, sleet, and snow right now.

I can't wait to get out of here
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:11 PM   #54
AV8OR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
I think leaving MD will do wonders for you. As a new resident in Baltimore living close to you, this city is a drag. I just cant find anything I relate to. Out west would be a greast escape. I doubt I would come back.
AV8OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:53 PM   #55
..::LOST::..
utter n00bie

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8OR View Post
I think leaving MD will do wonders for you. As a new resident in Baltimore living close to you, this city is a drag. I just cant find anything I relate to. Out west would be a greast escape. I doubt I would come back.
X2! Maybe I'll pack my shit and join you! (don't I wish it were that easy)
Old 02-21-2011, 07:27 PM   #56
DS-Jack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
And near Fort Worth, TX

Skierd, if you are anywhere near Fort Worth, Texas, give me a shout if you need a place to rest.
DS-Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:47 PM   #57
thumper_tx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelnator View Post
Let me know if you need anything near Houston, but frankly I would suggest you pass through here and stop in Austin. Much better area for the kind of thing you are doing.

30 miles east of Austin dude! Have shop,tools, and beer.
Retired and no schedules. Will be watching here.
you are welcome here any time.

Ron

Wr250r
Sporty
Tiger 800 a comin' son
Old 02-21-2011, 07:52 PM   #58
badguy
Susan

Oddometer: 1,675
Damn, I wish I had gotten/taken the chance to ride with you more. It was good tagging along on the 777 ride last year, even with our little detour

I wish I had some assistance or sage advice to offer, but I'm worthless All I can say is good luck with your trip, it sounds like it'll be a great one!
badguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:21 PM   #59
skierd OP
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,873
Hopefully I have better luck with tires on this trip. I really am going to miss all the DAMN guys, y'all were a lot of fun to ride with. Same with the MD Taggers too.

Its funny, I don't hate Baltimore at all. I actually really do love the city. Once you start looking there really is a lot going on here thats fun and great and cool. But I miss the plains. I miss the wide open spaces and lack of population.

There were three places on my '09 trip that simply took my breath away to where I had to stop and sit and stare in awe, nearly on the verge of tears, and had myself a religious moment. Once was on the Blue Ridge as you enter North Carolina and get back into the mountains and up into the Alpine areas, the best picture I could get is below, what is out of frame is the road curving along the mountain and giving you a full frontal view of the rest of the craggy edifice rising from the fog and clouds below...

...once was crossing Oklahoma on the TAT where the grasslands stretched on forever in every direction with no sign of man except for the road I was on...

...and once was in or near Phantom Canyon in Colorado on my way back. I actually cried here I was so overwhelmed. (I said this would get personal)

There's something about all this riding and traveling for me, something I've never gotten elsewhere. While I believe in a higher power, I've never much cared for organized religions. Partly because I didn't and don't like being up earlier than I have to be on Sunday mornings, partly because I couldn't see why God would want us wasting so much of the short time he gave us huddled together inside a box chanting to Him. Even if its a very nice box, and I've been to the Vatican, its still a man made object that pales in comparison to the natural cathedrals left to us out there. When I'm moving like this I start to feel the inner peace that the true believers always say they feel, and there is nothing better in the world.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:28 PM   #60
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
There's something about all this riding and traveling for me, something I've never gotten elsewhere. While I believe in a higher power, I've never much cared for organized religions. Partly because I didn't and don't like being up earlier than I have to be on Sunday mornings, partly because I couldn't see why God would want us wasting so much of the short time he gave us huddled together inside a box chanting to Him. Even if its a very nice box, and I've been to the Vatican, its still a man made object that pales in comparison to the natural cathedrals left to us out there. When I'm moving like this I start to feel the inner peace that the true believers always say they feel, and there is nothing better in the world.

If God wanted me in church on Sunday morning he'd move Nascar to Saturday.

It's like Mike Ness said, "Some people go to church on Sunday...others, they pray at home."