Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2011, 01:36 AM   #61
chinditone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Don't want to hijack this thread - as we are all here to enjoy and share your journey - but God is Spirit, Truth and Love - which means He is everywhere. He is in His creation - which will mean He is very much to be seen in Nature - and is to be seen on your journey - although He is invisible.

Unfortunately - the dark side of life is that people are overcontrolling and selfish - in religion as in company's - and so can make life unbearable for others - which is why we all need nature - friends - family - other people and cultures - motorbikes - interests - God - and learning how to give, love and serve, so that we regain our humanity and sanity.

The US was founded by people fleeing organised religion - and God went with them - and was there before they arrived. It is important to touch base with ourselves - when we feel we have "lost it" - and know that we are genuinely valued and valuable - and everyone will have their own method for doing so.

Journeys are great for self discovery - and thinking - working our own essentials - seeing what is really valuable to us as people and what is junk.
chinditone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:03 AM   #62
800SSDuc
Who is John Galt?

Oddometer: 356
Subscribed, I envy you more than anyone will ever know.....
89 KLR650
87 750 Paso Ltd
65 H-D M50
64 125 Bronco
A few Chinese 150 Dirt Bikes
800SSDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:58 AM   #63
jimrobinette
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
...It's like Mike Ness said, "Some people go to church on Sunday...others, they pray at home."
I've decided that if people are smart enough to home-school, then I can home-church!

Skierd,

**I am not trying to start a debate here, only offering my opinion to Skierd, so don't everyone pile on**

I think you will find that the further west you go, the more you will enjoy it. Having grown up in the Midwest, and having lived in all four corners and overseas as an adult, and a few places between them (I've lived in DC or Annapolis for seven years), the west is where it is at. The further away you are from DC, the more relaxed, easy going and less rushed people get.....and I love DC. My third favorite city in the US.

While I personally think CA has everything I'm looking for, some don't. One thing I will offer is that even to this day, you still hear about people moving west to find adventure/openness/peace/solitude/etc. You really don't hear about people going east to find anything more than a job.....

Two years ago, my wife and I got so tired of walking the dog in 20 deg weather in the winter and muggy 95 deg weather in the summer that we up and moved to CA. Granted, I live in the desert SW, but....except for work/weddings/funerals, I haven't worn anything but shorts since the day I left DC.....and thanks to Crawdaddy's advice, even when riding! Here we are on a short day-trip down through Baja last summer:

jimrobinette screwed with this post 02-22-2011 at 01:04 PM
jimrobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:11 AM   #64
skian g
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Good Luck man! I'm jealous and will be following along chomping at the bit.
skian g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:28 AM   #65
cozmo2312
Canyon Carver

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrobinette View Post
you still hear about people moving west to find adventure/openness/peace/solitude/etc. You really don't hear about people going east to find anything more than a job.....
man, this is so true. i've lived in a few places in this country and about 5 years ago i moved to AZ from the east coast to find some happiness. packed everything i owned in my honda civic and made the drive.

i'm now back in the midwest for a job that takes out more taxes than i made the entire year in salary before i took this job, and honestly, i'm not any happier.

cozmo2312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:40 AM   #66
Reddane
Circling pi

Oddometer: 762
I definitely agree with your thoughts on the open road & religious experience.

I think many ecclesiastical minds are intellectual tight-asses. As you so rightly put - the world is a cathedral. The BRP is one of those places where one can be sure that you're closer to God. I don't think that it's due to the fact that it's higher in elevation - I think it's because it's a more primal place without the distractions of modern society.

I look forward to following your RR, thanks for sharing.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:38 PM   #67
R1imposter
Lurker

Oddometer: 38
Skierd,
Allthough our paths have only crossed a few times around Baltimore and the occasional Dual sport ride, I can definately relate to what you are going through stuck here in the land of pleasant living.....Not!
I have been trying to pull the plug on Baltimore for a while now and find myself looking to the West as my salvation, I am originaly from the Central valley of California and other then a sister that lives in Hawaii all my family resides out West, Dad is an active off road enthusiast with two sand rails a V-8 powered baja bug, Manx clone, Toy Hauler etc..etc. allthough I try and get out that way once or twice a year I have lately felt the desire to just say Fuggit and load up my trailer with my scoots and just head West!
So like many other here I am very envious and will be watching your progress to see where your travels take you, I know from your TAT report that you will keep it interesting.
Take care Brother and dont look back!
R1imposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:21 PM   #68
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,448
jimrobinette rides the right bike, WR250 R & lives where the sun shines 365 days a year! What more does a person need?
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #69
jimrobinette
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
We don't have 365 days of sun!

Au contaire, Tom. We only have about 360. While it might be sunny and dry the other five days, you don't see the sun due to blowing dust! Really! And, I'm sure your weather in AZ is just as great. The summers can be warm, but at least it isn't humid. And the winters are the absolute best!! 72 deg and clear blue skies as we speak!

But all that great weather will all come to an end soon.....I will move to Monterey, CA (near here (thanks Scott)) in May. I'm going out with a bang in the SW and ride to the Grand Canyon/Bar10 Ranch with Crawdaddy, then moving two days later! But...not too far away. The wife has said CA is where she is staying....

I think no matter where you live in the west, it is a great experience that people find refreshing and invigorating. Such diversity and openess that you don't get anywhere else.

Keep riding till you hit the Pacific, Skierd!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
jimrobinette rides the right bike, WR250 R & lives where the sun shines 365 days a year! What more does a person need?

jimrobinette screwed with this post 02-23-2011 at 03:13 PM
jimrobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:17 AM   #70
Ovoidious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Subscribed - Have a Safe Trip skierd.

skierd - I'll be following this thread pretty closely. Have a safe trip and I hope you find what you are looking for. I know since my divorce I have had a distant feeling of there is something more out there, something human, something magical, and its waiting for me to come find it.

If you find it first, dont tell me what it is, just tell me to come find it for myself. I am envious. Have a D.A.M.N. safe trip..
Old 02-24-2011, 09:33 AM   #71
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 10,240
didn't you leave yet???
Old 02-24-2011, 09:59 AM   #72
Kath
2wheelmom

Oddometer: 322
Following along.....

Maryland Tag O Rama Thread/MD TOR Map

"The destination is simply an excuse for the ride." ~XC Rider
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:01 AM   #73
Kyler
Confused Hack Nut

Oddometer: 2,577
Laugh

er
Kyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:59 AM   #74
rydnseek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,888
Good plan. Good luck with all the travels, ride safe, keep alert. Long rides on a bike you can get careless.

If you're out this way in June, join Tom & I on our annual Grand Canyon ride.. talk about cathedral.. The most magnificent wonder of the world.

Youth is a good time for adventure.. if you can make it work financially. Once you get married, kids, etc, you can't just pick up & go. Some do, but most people don't admire those who bail on their families. Then as you get older, sometimes you lose energy, especially if you had a physical, active life.

You've got one life, & you should live it with passion & enthusiasm. The Creation is awesome & is meant to be experienced, not just watched on nature shows or read about on travel forums. I don't think this kind of decision will be regretted. It will open you up, & broaden your perspective.

Thanks for taking us along.

Some more suggestions:

ditch the ipod. get used to quiet. be content with your own thoughts & whispers in the universe.

Travel light. If you don't use it everyday, you really don't need it. If you've got some money, you can get anything you need in the US.

Have fun.
rydnseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:47 AM   #75
skierd OP
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,851
No Jack, I haven't left yet. Waiting for a nasty head cold w/ cough to clear up. I'm more or less packed though, everything is sitting in its appropriate bag in my room waiting to roll... and for two small items to show up.

I don't really want to be in or around Daytona for bike week, so I'm thinking I might just ride down the coast instead. Plus I do want to see the outer banks. I think I've found room for my 35mm slr with lenses too.

The only time I've used an ipod for riding is slabbing it. Otherwise I prefer to ride without extra distractions. Plus I'm not going to have a way to charge it probably.

skierd screwed with this post 02-24-2011 at 12:15 PM
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote