Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2011, 03:33 AM   #1
lancruza OP
On a Mission

Oddometer: 80
1973 LWB R75/5 found in a field. Yes I rescued it!

I came across a LWB R75/5 sitting outside in a mud hole in the middle of a field. I was told that the bike ran fine when it was parked--10 years ago!! Here are a couple of pics of the bike when I got it home and then a few after a little elbow grease. Amazing what a little cleaning will do.

Now comes the fun part, trying to get her running. Get ready, cause here come the questions. I've been a sponge on the internet since I got the bike. This forum is a great wealth of info. I ordered a couple of carb rebuild kits from EUBMW. I've also got some stuff on order from Hans at Hucky's. The tank is solid but rusty. I used the sodium carbonate electrolysis method and it cleaned right up. The petcocks were shot. I've seen new petcocks with a right angle exit like this one:

I've also seen the straight version. Any advantage, one over another? I plan on rebuilding the carbs and then start looking at the engine. Is there anything that I shold do before I spin her over? Well that's it so far. I appreciate any advice that I can get on getting this bike running.

Thanks
lancruza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:50 AM   #2
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
i think i would pull the plugs and get some penetrating oil in the cylinders to soak for a while before trying to turn it over. JB
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:27 AM   #3
LasseNC
XSessive!

Oddometer: 1,058
The kickstart pedal also sits in a weird position, might want to check that out.
LasseNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:46 AM   #4
The Raven
Banned

Oddometer: 4,811
Pretty damn good shape for a 10yr field bike in NC
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:49 AM   #5
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 8,032
Pull the spark plugs and with the trans in gear, pull the rear wheel through many many revolutions - several minutes at least. That will get oil flowing everywhere - engine, trans, final drive, and help prevent a dry startup.

Also, disconnect the tach and voltmeter. Five years ago I got a low-mile /5 from the original owner (14,000 miles), and rode it the 1,000 miles home. On the way both gauges self destructed and now require totally rebuilding. If I'd known what I do now I'd have had them serviced - in which case they'd only have needed a clean and lube.

The right-angle petcocks are the current (newest) style. They both work fine, but the straight-through ones are correct for your bike.

Did the bike come with a title???
Old 02-20-2011, 07:34 AM   #6
Beater
Mighty Unclean

Oddometer: 3,169
Awesome. Good one you. The 74 I 'found' could not have been brought back (for a reasonable cost) ... This is really good of you to do! Rock on.

Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:55 AM   #7
Fudmucker
ex-lurker

Oddometer: 268
Petcocks

Using angled petcocks means if you need to put the tank down somewhere, the tubes of the petcocks don't stick down - into the dirt, worktop, etc. and keep clean.

The straight ones were useful to dealers in that there was only one part to stock. The angled ones are L and R specific.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:20 AM   #8
lancruza OP
On a Mission

Thanks for the help. Yes, I did get a title. I also got the original seat. He had taken it off the bike and stored it. No rips or tares but it does need some cleaning up. I would love for this bike to be pristine, but it would cost me way too much in time and money to get it anywhere near that point. My main goal is to get it running and then see what else it will need to get it on the road. If that's practically possible. I've never worked on a shaft drive bike, so I don't even know where to begin there. Any ideas where I can get a shop manual for it? There has also been a little bit of hacking done to the wiring harness, so I'm sure I will have to straighten that out also. It's gonna be fun.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:23 AM   #9
lancruza OP
On a Mission

Hey Beater, love the avatar!! Meme--meme.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:46 AM   #10
squiffynimrod
maximum shrinkage

Oddometer: 1,298
Drop the pan and clean it before firing her up.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:20 AM   #11
McHaven
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Lucky bastard. Fine looking bike, especially in that red color. You don't see too many in red.
McHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:27 AM   #12
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 8,032
Let the fun begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancruza View Post
Any ideas where I can get a shop manual for it? There has also been a little bit of hacking done to the wiring harness, so I'm sure I will have to straighten that out also. It's gonna be fun.
Manuals are easy to find - ebay, amazon, used book stores - just do a search. The two main ones are Haynes and Clymer.

Get yourself an exhaust nut wrench ($20), remove the nuts and anti-seize them. If they don't want to come off with moderate force, try heating and penetrating oil many times over. If still no luck, even if they move a little but continue to resist, don't take the chance of buggering the threads. Just cut them off - new ones are much cheaper than having the head repaired!

A little hacking on the wiring???

You know, I don't think I've ever gotten a used vehicle that didn't have at least a little buggered wiring. My 77RS that looked pristine, when I got it home, found out it needed a whole new harness!
Old 02-20-2011, 12:25 PM   #13
lancruza OP
On a Mission

Ok, I went downstairs and tried turning the rear wheel with the bike in gear. The rear brakes are dragging pretty bad. So, when I get time, off comes the rear hub. Should I be looking for a factory BMW service manual instead of a Clymer or Haynes, or will a Clymer or Haynes be just as good. Oh yeah, Clymer or Haynes?
Old 02-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #14
Boxer Metal
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,426
Congratulations. What a super find.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
Boxer Metal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:55 PM   #15
lancruza OP
On a Mission