Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2011, 02:00 PM   #16
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,305
From Wirespokes "Get yourself an exhaust nut wrench ($20), remove the nuts and anti-seize them. If they don't want to come off with moderate force, try heating and penetrating oil many times over. If still no luck, even if they move a little but continue to resist, don't take the chance of buggering the threads. Just cut them off - new ones are much cheaper than having the head repaired!"

If they don't budge at all take a hack saw blade or small cut off wheel and cut as far through as you can without getting to the threads on the head. Make two cuts. One at 12 o'clock and the other at 6 o'clock. Take a wide metal chisel on the cut and wack it with a hammer. This will crack the nut and relieve it from the threads on the head. I have done the 20 or 30 times all with success.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:00 PM   #17
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancruza View Post
Ok, I went downstairs and tried turning the rear wheel with the bike in gear. The rear brakes are dragging pretty bad. So, when I get time, off comes the rear hub. Should I be looking for a factory BMW service manual instead of a Clymer or Haynes, or will a Clymer or Haynes be just as good. Oh yeah, Clymer or Haynes?
Get the Clymer, it covers all R bikes years 70-96 Very easy to find one. You must have good Karma....nice find.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:06 PM   #18
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,474
Quote:
I was told that the bike ran fine when it was parked--10 years ago!!
1) Why do people say that? Completely useless information for a barn (or field) find. Also, I've found that you usually need to add a couple decades to the claim.
2) Did it come with carburetors? I hope so!

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:39 PM   #19
lancruza OP
On a Mission

Oddometer: 81
Yes, it does have carbs. I had already taken the left one off when I took the pix. The only things missing, so far, are the tool tray, the stock horn, and the front hinge on the stock seat.
lancruza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #20
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
Yes, it does have carbs. I had already taken the left one off when I took the pix. The only things missing, so far, are the tool tray, the stock horn, and the front hinge on the stock seat.
Good find!!

Are you sure that the bike sat in a field for a decade? After ten years outside, I'd expect to see the headers rusted through and a lot more moisture damage then we're looking at but either way, thats a lucky find indeed.

As far as petcocks go, I'd replace the ones you have with the straight type. Not only will they look right but you won't have that extra loop of gas line going to the carbs. I like to keep gas lines short and to the point and I've never had a problem with damaging the straight ones. YMMV...

Before you spin the engine, squirt some light oil into the spark plug holes and turn the engine over by hand a few times. You can do that by taking off the front cover and using an allen wrench in the alt rotor or by putting the bike in gear and turning the rear wheel. I like using the allen wrench myself but ymmv.

By the way... Don't try using that kick start lever. It looks like you might have a problem there and you don't want to make it worse!

PS: I'll trade ya for the air-horn if it works!

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.

Hawk Medicine screwed with this post 02-20-2011 at 04:13 PM
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:08 PM   #21
lancruza OP
On a Mission

Oddometer: 81
I was told that the bike had not been on the road in about 10 years. It was sitting in a mud hole and it looked like it had been there for awhile. I'm not sure how long it had been sitting in the field.
lancruza is offline   Reply With Quote