Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #31
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
Just a heads up... Klim expects to get the Badlands Pro in on November 28th, allow a day or so to process them into their inventory, then they'll be shipping to customers.
in from where? i thought they made it all in house? or is that new lower price point come by way of a boat ride from china?
dmaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:57 AM   #32
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxmike View Post
in from where? i thought they made it all in house? or is that new lower price point come by way of a boat ride from china?
Really? You thought they made everything at the Klim store?

Oh, boy. Here we go.

Really? A garment this technical and you think they're making it in a little warehouse in Idaho?

Dood. There are only a few factories worldwide approved by Gore™ to manufacture garments like this and receive the "Guaranteed To Keep You Dry" promise from Gore™. They're coming from one of those factories. Same factories that are producing the even more expensive Klim Adventure Rally suit.

Why don't you pop into that thread and ask the same question?

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.

Xeraux screwed with this post 09-08-2011 at 12:03 PM
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #33
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxmike View Post
KLIM = China

My Traverse and Inversion = China
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:23 PM   #34
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 779
I was just asking, been on a china kick lately. and i have also been racking my brain trying to decide what to buy since i finally bought a bike. i know there are very few places that are aloud to make gore stuff and some of them happen to be in china, my new 100 some odd dollar Salomon hiking boots are gore and made in china.
dmaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:42 AM   #35
Xeraux
Archvillain

I just picked up a Klim Inferno Jacket.

http://klim.com/en-us/shop/moto/men/jackets/3254-600

Nice piece for adding a bit of insulation to something. However, I almost think the word "jacket" isn't exactly the right term. It's fairly light and really feels more like what I would call a sweater or a sweatshirt than a jacket.

Again, I really anticipate using this more off the bike than on it. I bought it to replace a sweatshirt or jacket or two that are starting to show some age. And when you consider it's of similar quality, but priced less than the likes of Patagonia and arc'teryx, it made sense to buy this instead.

Oh, and the picture shows the body of the jacket in kind of a purple-ish hue, it's not. It's a very dark grey. Not sure why the image from the site makes it look purple.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.

Xeraux screwed with this post 09-14-2011 at 09:51 AM
Old 09-14-2011, 10:32 AM   #36
zenjen
Go Outside

Oddometer: 2,639
Quote:
Join the Riff Raff and get a custom limited edition Klim Inferno.

www.jonahstreetracing.com
zenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #37
DoubleDare
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Wow - that looks really good. There's a lot to be said for the clean design, small logos, etc. BMW could learn a thing or two.

Now if Klim could just bulk up the armor a little. . .
Old 09-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #38
Xeraux
Archvillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDare View Post
Wow - that looks really good. There's a lot to be said for the clean design, small logos, etc. BMW could learn a thing or two.

Now if Klim could just bulk up the armor a little. . .

Really? Let me guess, the only BMW jacket you've ever seen is the Rallye series that has a Roundel on each shoulder. Which BMW jacket is plastered with logos? All the other BMW gear has either no logos, or, in the case of the Trailguard, you can even removed the little patch that has "BMW Motoraad" stiched on it in 1/4" letters because they attached it with Velcro thinking people might want to take it off. That piece of anachronism Aerostich is far more recognizable than a BMW Streetguard.

A roundel on each shoulder doesn't even compare to the logos Rev'it, Rukka, Dainese, AlpineStars, and Klim plaster all over their jackets... Have you even looked at the Klim Badlands and the Traverse?

Old 09-14-2011, 11:27 AM   #39
DoubleDare
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Really? Let me guess, the only BMW jacket you've ever seen is the Rallye series that has a Roundel on each shoulder.
Hah! Remind me not to compliment your taste in jackets again.

As it turns out, I have a Streetguard 3 suit, and definitely one of its attractions was the lack of overly-obvious branding.

And yes, the roundels on the Rallye3 were a little much, so I got a seam ripper and removed them. The jacket still said "BMW Motorrad" in big letters on the back.

But that was before I crashed and shredded the R3, which is why I've been watching the Klim Badlands thread closely.

Now, any thoughts on the Rallye3's on-road crash protection vs. the Badlands'?
Old 09-14-2011, 11:38 AM   #40
Xeraux
Archvillain

Quote:
Hah! Remind me not to compliment your taste in jackets again.

As it turns out, I have a Streetguard 3 suit, and definitely one of its attractions was the lack of overly-obvious branding.

And yes, the roundels on the Rallye3 were a little much, so I got a seam ripper and removed them. The jacket still said "BMW Motorrad" in big letters on the back.

But that was before I crashed and shredded the R3, which is why I've been watching the Klim Badlands thread closely.

Now, any thoughts on the Rallye3's on-road crash protection vs. the Badlands'?

"BMW Motorrad" in big letters?

Dood. If you're worried about whether or not someone sees you wearing a logo, stay away from the Klim stuff. It's got logos on it 10 times the size of the branding on the BMW stuff.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:17 PM   #41
DoubleDare
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, I guess your sig line says it - masturbatory you are. Not sure I can add much to that.

Does anyone have anything intelligent to add on the topic?
Old 09-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #42
Xeraux
Archvillain

Quote:
Well, I guess your sig line says it - masturbatory you are. Not sure I can add much to that.

Does anyone have anything intelligent to add on the topic?
Hey, I'm not the one who gives a damn about what other people think about how I look in my gear.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:42 PM   #43
DoubleDare
Gnarly Adventurer

It seems we have now reached two important conclusions in this discussion:

1) I appreciate cleanliness of design, which includes discretion in the placement of logos and brand names; and

2) You are a masturbator.

Regrettably, neither of these conclusions, however true they may be, has much to do with the Klim Badlands suit.

So, can anyone offer any insight into how the Klim Badlands suit might compare with the BMW Rallye3 suit in terms of protection in a road crash?
Old 09-14-2011, 03:55 PM   #44
Xeraux
Archvillain

Quote:

1) I appreciate cleanliness of design, which includes discretion in the placement of logos and brand names; and

Regrettably, neither of these conclusions, however true they may be, has much to do with the Klim Badlands suit.

So, can anyone offer any insight into how the Klim Badlands suit might compare with the BMW Rallye3 suit in terms of protection in a road crash?
Really? Name calling? What are you 12-years old?

The BMW could take a lesson comment was just ignorant. With the exception of the Rallye series, you're hard pressed to find much of any kind of branding ID on BMW equipment.

All I suggested is that if the logo placement and brand awareness of a jacket is important enough for to you to mention it, this may not be the jacket for you, because quite frankly, it's covered in them. Logo and Klim type treatment on the front along side a GoreTex™ type treatment, Klim Logo and type treatment on each shoulder, Klim logo and type treatment on the back with another GoreTex™ type treatment in the center of the back. Klim could take a lesson from BMW on the austerity of branding.

Also, seeing as how the jacket isn't being released until the end of November, it's going to be difficult for the average Joe to make any kind of comparison.

So, how do you feel about the multitude of logo placements and type treatments on the Badlands?

Old 09-14-2011, 04:00 PM   #45
keiji
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:

Nobody knows. It has armacor in key areas, so you could compare it to the old BMW Streetguard 1 and 2, BUT armacor tends to be in one layer (To get a proper seal with seamtape) while the Rallye 3 uses ( I think) two layers of 500d Cordura in key areas. When they were making the CE standards for motorcycle suits, they found that two thin layers performed much better than a single thicker layer.

On the other hand, it is entirely possible to crash hard enough to destroy the Gore-tex membrane without significantly damaging the armacor outer (I have an old BMW Tourguard hanging in my closet for that reason). At which point you would have a leaking $900 jacket.
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote