Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #466
Buster714
VP of crash testing

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
I had a firsthand demo of a Badlands suit being crash tested right in front of me.
Rider had a high speed get off on the dirt and broke his clavicle.
I have been wary of the effectiveness of built in armor in jackets compared to pressure suits.

The jacket did its job and I was very impressed with the level of protection with such a violent get off.
Looking into the Badlands as my next all around jacket
Happy to be of service.

Helmet cam footage is here: http://youtu.be/ZO2axy-RCRQ Crash is at the end.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #467
bastimentos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
2013 changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpete64 View Post
The new 2013 Badland jacket will be available with high viz yellow panels. If you look at the current Badland's jacket in grey...the grey panels will be yellow. New cut to jacket and new updated armour.
Can't wait to buy one.
High viz isn't my cup of tea, but it looks great for those who demand it.

My interest lies with the new cut and armour you mention for the 2013 badlands, as i read here

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=822454

that the latitude had changed significantly but the good people at atomic moto said the 2013 badlands received no changes .. but that was 5 months ago.

Do we have any more info on the changes, and when they will be available?

Cheers.
bastimentos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:14 AM   #468
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster714 View Post
Happy to be of service.

Helmet cam footage is here: http://youtu.be/ZO2axy-RCRQ Crash is at the end.
Great footage!
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #469
Buster714
VP of crash testing

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post

Great footage!
Thanks Yeti. Your opinion carries some weight.

Just so I'm not totally thread jacking... the Badlands jacket and pants have done everything I've ever needed them to do. I've had the suit for maybe two years now. I've done lots of rides in the summer, one of which was a 2,000-mile touring trip last year, ridden thousands of miles off-road in the winter, and I haven't needed to consider getting anything else to replace it. Everyone has their own take on everything, so based on my experience, I'm perfectly happy with my Badlands jacket and pants.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #470
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster714 View Post
Thanks Yeti. Your opinion carries some weight.

Just so I'm not totally thread jacking... the Badlands jacket and pants have done everything I've ever needed them to do. I've had the suit for maybe two years now. I've done lots of rides in the summer, one of which was a 2,000-mile touring trip last year, ridden thousands of miles off-road in the winter, and I haven't needed to consider getting anything else to replace it. Everyone has their own take on everything, so based on my experience, I'm perfectly happy with my Badlands jacket and pants.

The only issue I've had with my Badlands over the last two years years has been the need to use a Camelbak (well, Kreiga actually) where I could carry the water in the jacket when I had my Adventure. That's why I was really looking forward to the Adventure 2. The best of the Badlands combined with the best of the Adventure.

Otherwise, I love my Badlands and will be using it for he next year or so, at least.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
Old 02-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #471
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,643
Why does everyone hate the built in water bladder pocket on the badlands?
I've used mine and run the hose through the jacket with good results.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:41 PM   #472
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro0125 View Post
Why does everyone hate the built in water bladder pocket on the badlands?
I've used mine and run the hose through the jacket with good results.
Dunno about the other, but for me it's because I've owned the Adventure Rallye. There is nothing difficult about it whatsoever. You can even re-fill the bladder without removing it from the jacket.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:49 AM   #473
Terence FFM
prof. cat-herder

Oddometer: 364
new Badlands availability

Has anyone heard from a dealer or Klim directly, when the updated Badlands will be available to the buying public? Or is it also affected by the quality issue that will result in the next generation Adventure Rally Jacket being delayed nearly a full year? (Noooooooooo..............)

I guess the question I really want to ask is, can anyone say how much bigger the armour on the next gen Badlands is in comparison to the first version. I like the first version but have some misgivings about the comparitively small back protector. For me, it really boils down to this jacket and the Touratech/Stadler Campanero. I like the larger armour of the Touratech but would really like a chest protector and the looser fit (layering potential) of the Badlands.

I know, I know, you can't have everything, but when I am preparing to shell out around 1000 Euro for a jacket, I want to tick as many of the boxes on my wish list as possible, while at the same time accepting that I will never get them all checked.

And before anyone writes,"Wait for the next gen Rally Adventure," that jacket is such overkill for me, I would be smitten down by the gods of motorcycling for even considering it. Not saying everyone who buys one is a poseur, but I would be the first to admit the description would apply to me if I bought it.

Thanks for any info you can offer.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #474
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence FFM View Post
Has anyone heard from a dealer or Klim directly, when the updated Badlands will be available to the buying public? Or is it also affected by the quality issue that will result in the next generation Adventure Rally Jacket being delayed nearly a full year? (Noooooooooo..............)

I guess the question I really want to ask is, can anyone say how much bigger the armour on the next gen Badlands is in comparison to the first version. I like the first version but have some misgivings about the comparitively small back protector. For me, it really boils down to this jacket and the Touratech/Stadler Campanero. I like the larger armour of the Touratech but would really like a chest protector and the looser fit (layering potential) of the Badlands.

I know, I know, you can't have everything, but when I am preparing to shell out around 1000 Euro for a jacket, I want to tick as many of the boxes on my wish list as possible, while at the same time accepting that I will never get them all checked.

And before anyone writes,"Wait for the next gen Rally Adventure," that jacket is such overkill for me, I would be smitten down by the gods of motorcycling for even considering it. Not saying everyone who buys one is a poseur, but I would be the first to admit the description would apply to me if I bought it.

Thanks for any info you can offer.
The d3o armor in my Badlands is 17" and 10" wide, which covers me from between my shoulder blades down to my belt, and I'm a tall guy (6'3"). I don't know if the next-gen protector will be larger or not.

How much larger do you want the back protector to be? Just curious. I'm really not trying to dig at you, but this is one of the larger back protectors I've seen on a jacket.

That being said, I'm pretty happy with my Badlands. It ticked off a whole lot of boxes on my jacket wish list.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:22 PM   #475
outridingagain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Hello to everyone as I am new here at ADV. I am interested in the badlands pro and emailed them about the new 2013 revisions, they said the 2013 M/C line would be launched March 1st and info would be on the website then.
outridingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #476
bastimentos
Gnarly Adventurer

March 1st

Thanks pal that's good to know. Should see if they have improved noticeably or not, either way, improved armour or discounted current run - win/win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outridingagain View Post
Hello to everyone as I am new here at ADV. I am interested in the badlands pro and emailed them about the new 2013 revisions, they said the 2013 M/C line would be launched March 1st and info would be on the website then.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:09 PM   #477
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 18,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastimentos View Post
Thanks pal that's good to know. Should see if they have improved noticeably or not, either way, improved armour or discounted current run - win/win.
The current armor is state of the art. Rukka offers it as an upgrade.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #478
bastimentos
Gnarly Adventurer

For good companies..

There is always room for improvement.

For example, Maybe we might be lucky enough to see the D3O® XERGO armour that was going to be used in the now delayed AR2 at this price point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
The current armor is state of the art. Rukka offers it as an upgrade.

bastimentos screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 08:49 PM
Old 02-27-2013, 08:45 PM   #479
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
The d3o armor in my Badlands is 17" and 10" wide, which covers me from between my shoulder blades down to my belt, and I'm a tall guy (6'3"). I don't know if the next-gen protector will be larger or not.

How much larger do you want the back protector to be? Just curious. I'm really not trying to dig at you, but this is one of the larger back protectors I've seen on a jacket.

That being said, I'm pretty happy with my Badlands. It ticked off a whole lot of boxes on my jacket wish list.
They got nothing on current BMW back armor. My Airshell and RP3 had the best armor I've seen in a jacket.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #480
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
They got nothing on current BMW back armor. My Airshell and RP3 had the best armor I've seen in a jacket.
BMW almost always has great jackets. Is the BMW armor D3O or the NP-Pro stuff? Just curious.

And is the Airshell what you would consider a summer jacket?