Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #706
Patch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by istanbulian View Post

Great design but poor durability.
Not picking on you directly ... but geez - friction causes heat and the abrasion of contact surfaces. If something is rubbing the inner liner of your gear in the same spot every time you wear it - it's going to create a hole.
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #707
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,965
Did KLIM tell you verbally they would not cover this repair, or are you assuming they will call it "normal" wear and tear?
Old 08-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #708
istanbulian
950S Adventure

Oddometer: 55
I was informed via e-mail.

If this was a GBP250 jacket with 10,000 miles of use it would be acceptable. At GBP 800 and 2-3,000 miles I am less convinced.

Having said all that the UK importer did do all they could to help.
R1200RT
HP2S
istanbulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #709
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,965
Okay. ..just curious. I'm leaving Oct 1 on a 20, 000 mile ride in my Klim Latitude suit...I hope it lasts the trip. ...

You have a separate Gore tex warranty...have you checked with them?
Old 08-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #710
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,638
This is interesting. I have been a fan of their gear for a while. I am sad to see that such a high end (expensive) piece of clothing is not guaranteed by the manufacturer. This type of wear seems like it would be covered. What is the point of paying so much for it then?
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #711
Daz the Aussie
Dualsporting Actor

Oddometer: 888
Just ordered mine!

Well despite the recent negatives some people have experienced with their Klim outfits, I placed an order for a new Badlands Pro jacket this morning. For me it will get used 80% for commuting, and yes I know it may be overkill for that but the fact is L.A. is a dangerous place to commute so I would prefer to be in something tough when things go pear shaped and I am just so impressed with all the great features this jacket offers, especially getting me away from a stupid internal waterproof liner system. Man I hate those things! Looking forward to this piece of kit with great...............anticipation.

"Where do I go now that I've gone too far?"

My actor site: www.dazbyard.com
Daz the Aussie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #712
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz the Aussie View Post
Well despite the recent negatives some people have experienced with their Klim outfits, I placed an order for a new Badlands Pro jacket this morning. For me it will get used 80% for commuting, and yes I know it may be overkill for that but the fact is L.A. is a dangerous place to commute so I would prefer to be in something tough when things go pear shaped and I am just so impressed with all the great features this jacket offers, especially getting me away from a stupid internal waterproof liner system. Man I hate those things! Looking forward to this piece of kit with great...............anticipation.
Good on ya Mate! Mine is one of the first ones made, has Dog knows how many miles on it, and is in perfect condition. Wore it 300 miles today commuting through the Hell that is 93* San Bernardino/Riverside.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:19 PM   #713
bamarider
Adventure n00b

Oddometer: 94
Velcro Collar...

I had the same complaint on my collar. I have found that ensuring that the snap in the center is actually snapped lines things up so that it is not an issue. It's a bit fiddley solution to remember each time, but it sure lets me know real quick when I forget.... YMMV.. I've put over 10,000 miles on mine in the last 2 years..

Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
I was at the BMW MOA rally in Oregon this weekend. I stopped into the Klim tent to see what they had. I was talking with one of the Klim representatives. I don't know exactly what his position in the company was, but it appeared he was pretty high in the food chain. I told him I had the Badlands jacket and told him that I loved it, except for the collar. The velcro on the inside of the collar scratches against my neck and can be quite uncomfortable after a long day. He was very interested in what I had to say, and wrote down notes as I was talking with him about it. He then started brainstorming about how to fix it for next year's model. He thanked me and then said that he would definitely change the design for 2014 Badlands model to fix this issue. It could have just been lip service, but he seemed genuine to me.

If they do indeed change the jacket due to a customer's complaint, than I am impressed with the company in that regard. I think I will be calling Klim once I get home to discuss them fixing my collar under their warranty. I really do love this jacket, but this collar is a huge design flaw IMO.
All at home patiently awaiting my return

'89 Yamaha XTZ 750 Super Tenere
Balkans Adventurer...
bamarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #714
squatch.f22
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I now have over 7000 miles on my gear... I found something new that works great this last weekend. I've been using an evaporative vest under the jacket for hot days and it did an okay job at keeping me cool. I had been riding with all comfort zippers open. This last weekend I rode out to New Mexico with my vents zipped closed, wet vest on. It was a significant improvement! Plus, when it started raining I didn't have to stop to close them up.

- Justin
2013 1200 GSA
squatch.f22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #715
JM
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt fe2o3 View Post
AP, thanks very much for the feedback.

I tried on a Badlands 2x and it was almost, kinda to snug in the shoulders. 3x was a mystery and I did not want to swim in a jacket. I'm 6'3 and 265-275 depending on what field I graze in.

Badlands 2x was pretty heavy. That was a concern as well. I am probably going to go with the one piece roadcrafter in 52r. Again Thanks for the feedback and the fit info.

Cheers.
I'm 6' 4" 240+- and have been riding with a Roadcrafter for the last 8 years. If you are worried about Stich sizing have them do a custom fit for you. When I bought mine I had them send me 50L as a sizing suit. I sat on the bike with a tape mearurer in one hand and the phone in my other with Aerostich on the line. They walked me through all the custom measurments and made a suit for me. I sent back the 50L and got the custom suit. It fits like a glove. All the armor is in the right place.

With that said I just purchased a 2XL Badlands Pro Jacket and 40L pant combo last weekend for a upcoming trip to Copper Canyon. I decided I wanted more venting for hot weather trips. I rode up to Touratech in Seattle and tried on every size combo to get the best fit. Touratech didn't have the 40L pants in stock but a 40R was just a little to short when I was seated on the 1200LC they had on the show room floor. It probably took Eric at touratech a good 45 minutes to clean up after my in store gear search for the perfect fit.

I really like the Stich and it will be my go to suit for commuting. I'm hoping for good things with the Badlands. It does seem to bunch up around the middle when I'm sitting on the bike but once I load up the pockets and fill the 3L bladder with ice water I bet it snuggs up some. Since I'm waiting for the pants I have yet to wear the jacket out riding. The suspense is killing me. Time to give my friends at Touratech a call and bug them about a delivery date.

By the way. I've had great customer service from both Aerostich and Touratech. Their gear may be a tad expensive but they stand behind it and to me that's worth a few extra $$.

Postponing retirement one farkle at a time!
JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:36 PM   #716
zapf
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by istanbulian View Post
I was informed via e-mail.

If this was a GBP250 jacket with 10,000 miles of use it would be acceptable. At GBP 800 and 2-3,000 miles I am less convinced.

Having said all that the UK importer did do all they could to help.
I would like to suggest it is how the jacket being worn that may have caused the damage. I have done 20'000 miles on mine in 4 months and it is still like new around the belt area.
zapf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:02 PM   #717
zapf
n00b

Badlands 20'000+ Miles and crash tested

Long story... "short version"

April 2013 - Bought a set of Badlands after being let down by a set of brand new 2013 Dainese D-dry adv suit.

Ride around Europe from 0 degree C and rain in the Alpes to 38 degree C in Greece and Spain. Great GEAR. I loved it.

Late August 2013 - Crash tested on Hungary motorways from the torrent of water on the road

Conditions: around 100kph / road covered with torrent of water / like a water slide / slid for approx 200~400 meters. (according to my GPS on bike)

Note: I was not using the build in d3o armor for the knee as it moved too much. And instead wore a A* knee guards and A* Toucan boots.

Below are the major damages. minor damages in a few other places

Elbow
[IMG][/IMG]

Knee

Knee

Hip zippers

I am sending them to Austria to have them repaired.

zapf screwed with this post 08-28-2013 at 04:32 PM
Old 08-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #718
Daz the Aussie
Dualsporting Actor

Oddometer: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapf View Post
Long story... "short version"

April 2013 - Bought a set of Badlands after being let down by a set of brand new 2013 Dainese D-dry adv suit.

Ride around Europe from 0 degree C and rain in the Alpes to 38 degree C in Greece and Spain. Great GEAR. I loved it.

Late August 2013 - Crash tested on Hungary motorways from the torrent of water on the road

Conditions: around 100kph / road covered with torrent of water / like a water slide / slid for approx 200~400 meters. (according to my GPS on bike)

Note: I was not using the build in d3o armor for the knee as it moved too much. And instead wore a A* knee guards and A* Toucan boots.

I am sending them to Austria to have them repaired.
Thanks for sharing. After seeing that I am so glad I opted to buy the jacket (so far, still deciding on the pants) and seeing what sort of protection they can provide. Everyone has a recommendation on gear but it's not until you have seen real life accidents such as yours and what the gear went through and ended up like that you can can begin to assess the worthiness of said gear. Hope you are ok, I can only image what your skin would have looked like without good protection.

"Where do I go now that I've gone too far?"

My actor site: www.dazbyard.com
Daz the Aussie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:26 AM   #719
zapf
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz the Aussie View Post
Thanks for sharing.
No problems. I can confirm that none of the seams and stitching even thou worn, is pulling apart. Unlike some of the cheaper gear that has hardly any overlap and you seems are pulling from normal everyday use.

In an emergency / while on tour, can be patched up with Goretex repair panels to made water proof and continue riding.

I am hoping to get some super fabric panels installed in elbow and knee area for additional durability.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:55 PM   #720
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
Question, if i'm not mistaken the Badlands Pro has been out several years now? Is a replacement "revision A" suit on the horizon yet?
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote