User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
Ogribike OP
Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,800
Went for a ride today...

It was kind of bittersweet, I just removed the "Ogri" tag and replaced it with an "Antique" tag. So my trips will be limited on her now. I did a nice tour with her last fall, here is the Ride Report.

It was a good ride today on familiar roads with big smiles.

Jim.
Ogribike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
tennessee thumper
now in Mt. View, AR

Oddometer: 683
Great looking ride. For what it's worth I ran antique tags on my /5 for years in Memphis without issue from law enforcement. Maybe different in your neck of the woods...If pulled over, which I never was, I planned on telling the officer I just got the bike out of the shop/or finished a wrenching job and was doing a road test to check the work.
tennessee thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennessee thumper View Post
Great looking ride. For what it's worth I ran antique tags on my /5 for years in Memphis without issue from law enforcement. Maybe different in your neck of the woods...If pulled over, which I never was, I planned on telling the officer I just got the bike out of the shop/or finished a wrenching job and was doing a road test to check the work.
Why, is that not an issued plate? Just curious, I used to have an antique tag on the ST but last year Georgia raised the rate 35$ for special tags and I was out.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
Ogribike OP
Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Why, is that not an issued plate? Just curious, I used to have an antique tag on the ST but last year Georgia raised the rate 35$ for special tags and I was out.
Yes it's issued but with restrictions on everyday use. In VA it's only a one time fee of $50, for the tag. A lot of folks were using them on their old everyday use cars to avoid paying the yearly fee or having the state inspection.

Here are the limitations for use:

1) Participation in antique car club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, and similar events.

2) Testing its operation, obtaining repairs or maintenance, selling the vehicle or trailer, transportation to and from events as described in number 1 above and for the occasional pleasure driving not to exceed 250 miles from your residence.

3) Carrying or transporting passengers, personal effects or other antique motor vehicles being transported for show purposes.

Jim.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:40 PM   #5
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,327
I think I'd tell 'em where they can stick that tag Seems like you've got some other cool bikes to put around on though.

man I love those valve covers

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,468
As I am not from the USA, I am confused by this whole Antique shit! please explain.

Over here in the UK, we just have motorcycles, we can get classic insurance, but there are no restrictions with that. Also if it was made up to 1972 then it is free to licence it too.
England-Kev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:25 PM   #7
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by England-Kev View Post
As I am not from the USA, I am confused by this whole Antique shit! please explain.
It doesn't matter if you're from the USA, it matters which state in the USA you're from.

In some states these plates are the same in every way (fees, etc.) as normal plates with the exception that they're vanity plates offered for vehicles > 25 years old. Other states have lower fees with significant restrictions. For the owner of many antique vehicles the restrictions can be reasonable.

Ultimately, it depends on which interest group got to the legislators in a given state.

Does that help?
Old 02-21-2011, 04:38 PM   #8
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,468
Sort of, so some states limit the mileage you can do on an "old" vehicle. when fitted with these plates, and some don't? What a load of bereaucratic bollox! I ride a historic bike (in fact all my bikes are that old!, i can ride them when I want, as far as I want, in whichever country I want, with no restrictions imposed, I even get free, recovery to my home in case (when) I break down
England-Kev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:52 PM   #9
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by England-Kev View Post
Sort of, so some states limit the mileage you can do on an "old" vehicle. when fitted with these plates, and some don't? What a load of bereaucratic bollox! I ride a historic bike (in fact all my bikes are that old!, i can ride them when I want, as far as I want, in whichever country I want, with no restrictions imposed, I even get free, recovery to my home in case (when) I break down
Think of it this way:

1) Folks with old vehicles that they ride only a few times a year to the parade have the option of a low, one-time license tab fee.

2) Folks with old vehicles that they ride regularly can get the regular plate and ride all they want.

I'm sure that the low cost antique plates came about after some clubs called their local rep and said they shouldn't pay the same price for tabs as people who ride everyday.

Bureaucratic? License plates here have become special interest revenue generators. I can't even recognize the special interest plates in Washington state. Bicycles (yes, for a plate on a car), parks, colleges, square dancers (yes, I said the square dancers have affinity license plates!), a few dozen military types, bears, lighthouses, pets, etc.

Granted, these plates all grant the same rights, they just cost more so you can make a donation to your cause and you can advertise your affinity on your license plate.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistr...ialdesign.html

Now, if that doesn't confuse you I didn't try hard enough.

fishkens screwed with this post 02-21-2011 at 04:57 PM
fishkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:58 PM   #10
HappyRiding
Grumpy

Oddometer: 3,126
It's not often that you see an antique tag on a one owner vehicle.

I'd love to hear the stories ole Ogri could tell...and see all the country Ogri has seen.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:50 PM   #11
lancruza
On a Mission

Oddometer: 81
Hey, good looking BMW. What's the other good looking bike sitting on the right side in your garage?
lancruza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:52 PM   #12
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,172
Yeah, sorry Ogribike....I f'ed up your thread. Lets see some more pics of those beauties!!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:58 PM   #13
HappyRiding
Grumpy

Oddometer: 3,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancruza View Post
Hey, good looking BMW. What's the other good looking bike sitting on the right side in your garage?
Thruxton
Old 02-21-2011, 07:53 PM   #14
Ogribike OP
Vagabond

Okay, the deal is I have a few more than one bike, so to drop the cost of yearly tag fees in Virginia I can tag it as antique after 25 years and pay a one time lifetime fee of $50 and not be required to have a yearly state inspection. I save a few beans but limited to use. If I am stopped I just need to state the reason I'm riding that day. If the bike is pretty much pristine they normally will not stop you. If it's just a junker and looks like you are trying to avoid fees then you will most likely get stopped. I have owned the R80 since I bought it new in 1986.

It is up to me if I want to tag it with a regular tag and pay the fees, that way I can ride it at all times. This is not mandatory. Since I do have other bikes to ride I chose this venue.

The bike next to the R80 is a Thruxton, thanks Sara, with D&D pipes and a few other mods. As for old school, I also have a '76 R90/6, a '70 Triumph T140, a '84 HD FXWG and a '92 R100GS plus a few newer machines.

It was nice passing a couple guys on newer bikes in the twisties today and all they saw was an antique plated bike going by.

Jim.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:37 PM   #15
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,406
[QUOTE=England-Kev;15245626]As I am not from the USA, I am confused by this whole Antique shit! please explain.

You're confused!!!!??????
Welcome to New York State Department of Motor Vehicles!

Antique Plates

So not long after we got the bike, and long before it was finished, we’re at the antique bike show, and wouldn’t it be cool to have a NYS 1965 motorcycle tag, on our 1965 motorcycle registered in NYS?
Oooo! There’s one...and here it is.

Man O’ man, there’s a lot of trailer queens here sportin’ appropriate plates for the Year and State...lookin’ good! How difficult could it be?
Motor Vehicles says, No Problem!
We need to mail that plate, or an image of, to the State Division of Antique Plates
to authenticate that it’s a real plate issued in NYS,
that it’s not currently registered to any other NYS vehicle owner,
to verify that it was EVER registered in NYS,
and that it has not been duplicated, altered, defaced, or reissued in any way, to anybody since.
We require that your 1965 motorcycle then be re registered {$124} as an antique motorcycle requiring retitlement{$85} and inspection,{$14} for us to issue you a new title, which is required for us to issue a new registration{$34} using the antique liscence plate{$75} that you gave to the Antique Plate Division for verification. {$10}
Your bike will then be classified as an Antique bike with the State of New York, which requires a special Insurance Policy coverage.
Vintage Bike Insurance.{$300}
Then you can put that plate on the back...
Kewl!
I call the insurance company.
We don’t issue those policies, call these guys.
We don’t underwrite in NY. Call these guys...
No problem! I’ll write this one for 3 times what you’re paying now, but only if:
If kept in a locked building no more than 10 miles from your residence.
If the bike is independently appraised as certifiably “vintage”. That might raise your rate...
You send us a copy of your yearly NYS inspection report that details your yearly mileage as no more than 2500 miles per year...and you’re not covered for any damage sustained after dark.
After all, Mr E... you’re not really riding this thing, other than taking it to Vintage Bike Shows, are you?
So!
I’ve got a really nice NYS 1965 motorcycle plate for sale for Queenie!
V7 Eldorado
R100M Ride more. bullshit less
danedg is online now   Reply With Quote