User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2011, 10:20 PM   #1
110Mike OP
Lug in my Kop

Oddometer: 98
BMW R100RS vs Moto Guzzi SP1000

For long distance touring, which one will win?

Do we have imates here that owned/rode both? And willing to give us an unbiased (do I hear laughter??) opinion?

Both 1000cc ish
Both full fairing offering by all accounts excellent protection
Both aircooled
Both shaftdrive
Similar fuel consumption, Guzzi slightly better
Guzzi more powerfull
Guzzi lighter
Guzzi "funny" brakes
BMW info and parts source seems better

Chime in please!!!

Mike
110Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:08 AM   #2
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 8,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by 110Mike View Post

Do we have imates here that owned/rode both? And willing to give us an unbiased (do I hear laughter??) opinion?

Both 1000cc ish
Both aircooled
Both shaftdrive
Guzzi more powerfull
Guzzi lighter
Guzzi "funny" brakes

Chime in please!!!

Mike

My money's on the Guzzi! Can't beat simple engineering, love to pick up a basket case sometime.
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:16 AM   #3
tennessee thumper
now in Mt. View, AR

Oddometer: 699
RS/Guzzi owner for 8 years says....

RS would get you there faster (at least a 77 40mm would)

SP may be a cheaper buy-in thus more money for beer or upgrades.

RS stock bars set up can irritate some wrists,shoulders and backs.

SP parts are not too hard to find.

RS monoshocks (rideability and handling) are prefered by some over the earlier versions.

If you are thinking about buying either...get the one that has the most maintenence history, smartest upgrades and best price.

Can't go wrong with either.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:20 AM   #4
110Mike OP
Lug in my Kop

Oddometer: 98
My own experience

This morning, after posting, I had the opportunity to ride a 1000SP.

It may have been a fault with the bike, but the 1000SP really feels agricultural, and rough after my R100RS. Riding position also was uncomfortable after my supposedly (stock standard) uncomfortable RS
The SP was in quite good condition, very original, so I do not think I rode a rat.

I also had the oppotunity to ride a 850 le Mans mkIII.... now that was a bike that made me understand some people`s love for the flying eagle.
The riding position was very uncomfortable, but that was probably only the bars. Would not take a 850 LM longdistance touring, but oh boy, give me a mountain pass and let me twist her ear!

More 1000SP input will be appreciated.

Regards

Mike
110Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,508
PHP Code:
 but the 1000SP really feels agricultural 
ha ha! well it IS a guzzi!
I can say that, used to have one, still love them though. it may have needed carbs synched and tuned up.
both are good bikes, it's all what you like.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:21 PM   #6
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by 110Mike View Post

Both 1000cc ish
Both aircooled
Both shaftdrive
Guzzi more powerfull
Guzzi lighter
Guzzi "funny" brakes

Chime in please!!!

Mike
Pretty sure the Guzzi isn't lighter or more powerful than the airhead. Certain the airhead has better ride quality while the Guzzi has the stiffer stock chassis ie, more stable handling. As already mentioned, the monoshock airhead will take handling to the next level.

Both are pretty neat bikes.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,377

Much as I love my RS it's a pain in the arse for normal riding, get it on the motorway and it comes into it's own though. 90 - 100 Mph no problem.

The Guzzi had a strange riding position. The footpegs are a long way forward and the bars low. The steering was very heavy as well. It got breathless at higher speeds.

There's nothing quite like a Guzzi for covering the miles though. Looking back I preferred the Guzzi.
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:56 PM   #8
Rathlindri
Guinness fan

Oddometer: 343
I have owned a '78 SP (fairing lowers removed) for 4 years now. My best mate has an '81 RS. One ride on a Guzzi will not impress you. Take it on a 100 mile + run and it'll get under your skin. It outhandles the RS on bumpy sweepers and has more "character". The RS is bland in my opinion but that's my personal taste. Back to back the Guzzi uses 10% less fuel on the same ride.
Reliability-wise I'd say they're equal and both easy to work on too. parts readily available and cheap..... good luck with your hunt, whichever you decide on....

By the way, if the carbs aren't properly balanced on either 'bike they will feel "rough"....perhaps the one you tried needed "fettling"?

Old 02-23-2011, 05:51 AM   #9
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 8,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathlindri View Post
I have owned a '78 SP (fairing lowers removed) for 4 years now. My best mate has an '81 RS. One ride on a Guzzi will not impress you. Take it on a 100 mile + run and it'll get under your skin. It outhandles the RS on bumpy sweepers and has more "character". The RS is bland in my opinion but that's my personal taste. Back to back the Guzzi uses 10% less fuel on the same ride.
Reliability-wise I'd say they're equal and both easy to work on too. parts readily available and cheap..... good luck with your hunt, whichever you decide on....

By the way, if the carbs aren't properly balanced on either 'bike they will feel "rough"....perhaps the one you tried needed "fettling"?

That's a nice looking bike! Wish I still had my 850T ['74 model]
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #10
camgregus
riding gently now

Oddometer: 2,998
it seems lately that the guzzis have gone up and the beemers are steady. You might get a better deal on an RS.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:07 PM   #11
Rathlindri
Guinness fan

Oddometer: 343
yeah, no doubt the old supply/demand thing. There are a lot more BM RS's out there than Guzzi SP's
Old 02-23-2011, 04:42 PM   #12
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
"As already mentioned, the monoshock airhead will take handling to the next level."

Once you are a Guzzi rider, there is no other level!
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:31 PM   #13
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
"As already mentioned, the monoshock airhead will take handling to the next level."

Once you are a Guzzi rider, there is no other level!
Now that's quaint.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:50 PM   #14
Reryder
Onward through the fog...

Oddometer: 1,399
I find my 81 RS not overly comfortable on a long ride. I am 6'1" and and half and my shins bark on the fairing lowers all the time. And the flat handlebars are too low and too far forward for long distance. R90S style euro bars are much more comfy but not compatible with the RS fairing.

And my missus really dislikes the ride on the back, the RS seat curves upwards at the rear and she says its not comfortable at all, standard /7 bench seat is better.

I have only ridden a Guzzi - an old 850 cruiser style -- around the block, but love that v-twin engine feel and sound. Seemed real comfortable too with buckhorn bars, windshield and footboards. But like I said, it was only around the block.

But an RS fitted with R90S fairing and handlebars and bench seat might be a way to go too. That is what I am planning to do with mine.

One huge plus for the RS fairing is it gives the best wet weather protection of any bike I ever rode and does cut the wind nicely on long rides.

Reryder (AKA Hopper)
1977 Harley Sportster
81 BMWR100RS
01 HONDA VFR800
99 SV650
Ancient Harley 45, Snortster (Sporty engine in a Norton), Norton Atlas, Honda 350/4, Ariel HS scrambler
Reryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:46 AM   #15
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reryder View Post
I find my 81 RS not overly comfortable on a long ride. I am 6'1" and and half and my shins bark on the fairing lowers all the time. And the flat handlebars are too low and too far forward for long distance. Try k75s bars, or K1 bars. I believe they're the two bars that will improve things.

And my missus really dislikes the ride on the back, the RS seat curves upwards at the rear and she says its not comfortable at all, standard /7 bench seat is better.

I have only ridden a Guzzi - an old 850 cruiser style -- around the block, but love that v-twin engine feel and sound. Seemed real comfortable too with buckhorn bars, windshield and footboards. But like I said, it was only around the block.

But an RS fitted with trimmed down fairing screen and handlebars and bench seat might be a way to go too. That is what I am planning to do with mine.

One huge plus for the RS fairing is it gives the best wet weather protection of any bike I ever rode and does cut the wind nicely on long rides.
Trimming reduces the buffeting, the handlebars allow a taller ride position. /7 seat probably better, but might depend on the arse to seat relationship of individuals.
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote