Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #31
Andosan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post
you made my day

i am seriously biased , owning half a dozen of guzzi's.
but if you want a perfectly adequate mode of transportation , get the BMW.
if you want character , get the guzzi.
one word of caution , guzzi's are addictive....
with a 1000 SP, fit a pair of 36 mm pumper carbs , and a set of lafranconi's , and you start wondering why everybody else keeps riding boring bikes.
So I think the SP is unavailable now. The guys hasn't responded to numerous calls and emails in the past few weeks so I think it's a no go. I think I'm gonna go with the '77 R100s and see what happens. At $3,500 is a great deal (rebuilt trans, new clutch, top end 20k ago, rebuilt final drive, wheel bearings, electronic ignition, brake rotors/ pads). Has all the receipts for work from a reputable shop and he's owned the bike since 1980 so he know the whole history. Would have really liked to take the Guzzi for a spin but I guess it will wait. Maybe next season I'll make the leap! I think I'll be happy with this until then.
Andosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #32
Old Mule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
torque curve

Compare the torque peak on the two bikes- I think it's 2800 on the BMW and 5000 rpm on the goose.
That's why 95 mph on the Guzzi seems lazy and easy. The v twins just eat up the miles.
Hope you give the Guzzi a trial sometime.
Old Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #33
Rathlindri
Guinness fan

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
"As already mentioned, the monoshock airhead will take handling to the next level."

Once you are a Guzzi rider, there is no other level!

Words of wisdom! I concur ( of course)!
Old 03-15-2014, 01:43 PM   #34
Rathlindri
Guinness fan

any updates?? all views welcome
Old 09-14-2014, 04:04 AM   #35
Rathlindri
Guinness fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathlindri View Post
any updates?? all views welcome
bump
Old 09-15-2014, 05:05 AM   #36
adventure950
Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer: 524
Over the last 35 years I have owned loads of BMW's(77 rs, several r80, r65, r80gs, r100gs and HPN dakar replica then I also had a load of Guzzis, a V50, v50 monza, Lemon 1 and 2, and a 1100 sport.

Simply like most say the BMWs lack soul(and dare i say it - in many cases reliability as well) (except my 80gs travel bike which soldiered on through thick and thin and once much modified and travelled 'the bilge pump' picked up a soul somewhere along the road.

The Guzzi factory used to have a whole stock room full of lost soul's ( I think they run out a good few years back now which was a shame) but used to put one in almost every bike at the factory - however be warned sometimes they are pretty mischieves buggers. That said they get under your skin - I still rate my Guzzis ( especially my 1100s Carb) as the best (most endearing, frustrating at times and occasionally unreliable but yet still enjoyable )bikes I have ever owned and yearn for another Guzzi that would fit my needs. (I am thinking of a project to suit).

They say Soul is the immortal essence of a living thing well if a bike has it an older Guzzi does.

As riding is a lot about touching your own soul give it some company on the ride buy a Guzzi.

Tchus Jake.

adventure950 screwed with this post 09-15-2014 at 12:06 PM
adventure950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:29 PM   #37
Nolan Woodbury
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventure950 View Post
...That said they get under your skin - I still rate my Guzzis ( especially my 1100s Carb) as the best (most endearing, frustrating at times and occasionally unreliable but yet still enjoyable )bikes I have ever owned and yearn for another Guzzi that would fit my needs

Have to respond! Mine's been good, except I can't seem to keep fork seals in it. The Carbie feels like a really good Desmo SS in the fast stuff. Loves to lean and isn't easily shaken. As a '96 it's the newest thing in the shed. I'm crawling through time but don't care. I wanted one since new and it took 13-years.

The RS is a great machine. I really loved mine when I owned it. Except for a fried diode board, it never failed me. Good riders can ride anything fast, but I scared myself trying to hustle the RS like a Guzzi. More than anything it was down on power ($2000 to CC Products didn't change it much) and it had crappy brakes...at least, next to the Brembos. The headlight is super.

Can't really go wrong either way, but the SP is getting hard to find. Many have been chopped into cafes'.
Nolan Woodbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:51 AM   #38
bmwloco
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,346
I guess I have been lucky, but I have owned both.

The Guzzi is tractor like, will run all day, and is, well, o.k.

On the other hand, there is still a R100RS in my fleet for a reason.

When I left the BMW MOA National Rally in Madison, WI several years ago, I did 1063 miles in 23 hours and some change on my R100RS.

And felt human when I got off it too.

Both have their favors, but when I want to eat miles fast and in comfort, the BMW R100RS is the best hammer in the box.

'66 BMW R60/2, '83 BMW R100RS,'81 BMW R100RS "Das Beast", '87 BMW R850R '77 Honda XL125
Airhead #371
bmwloco is offline   Reply With Quote