User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2011, 06:42 AM   #1
Guy Young OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,177
Looking for a trashed engine

Folks, I am looking for a trashed engine to use as a training aid in a motorcycle maintenance and repair course I am setting up. Ideally it will be a single, or twin, that has shim-under-bucket for adjusting the valve clearance.

I do need one whose crank and the valve train rotates. Bent rod(s) or destroyed piston(s) is of no importance. I can pull these out. If valves are bent and seats damaged, I can “fix” this to the point that the basic procedure can still be demonstrated and taught. The transmission/clutch, etc. will be stripped out to lighten it up so it can be moved easily.

I already have an engine (actually three) that uses screw adjusters, so that scheme is covered.

Hopefully, one can be located in a state that borders Virginia so I can make arrangements to pick it up.

Whatcha got???

TIA

Old 02-22-2011, 08:21 AM   #2
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,774
I have a KLR that I ran out of oil on the way to Alaska. The starter went after we crossed into Canada and I had to wait for someone to pushstart me every time. So to be ready and waiting for the push I ended up forgeting to check the oil. My bad.
It has theEagle doo-hickey in it now that I will have to pull out before letting it go. The cams and bearing area on the head is worn, I don't know if it would work for you for that reason . Do you need it to be in good shape so you can check the clearance?
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:43 AM   #3
farmer fred
Banned

Oddometer: 1,493
FWIW, the KLR is a shim-over-bucket design.
farmer fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:12 AM   #4
Guy Young OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
I have a KLR that I ran out of oil on the way to Alaska. The starter went after we crossed into Canada and I had to wait for someone to pushstart me every time. So to be ready and waiting for the push I ended up forgeting to check the oil. My bad.
It has theEagle doo-hickey in it now that I will have to pull out before letting it go. The cams and bearing area on the head is worn, I don't know if it would work for you for that reason . Do you need it to be in good shape so you can check the clearance?
Yeah, if it could be reasonably good shape, the better - however - as Farmer Fred pointed out in a subsequent post, the KLR is a shim over bucket design. Have one of them.