Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2015, 10:23 PM   #1
theoutlaw82 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Question Mississippi bonded title and making a dirtbike street legal.

So I have a 99 XR400R dual sport project with no title. I know I need to get a bonded title but what do I need to actually get it registered? I keep getting the run around from DMV. Also what happens after the title bond expires? Do I need a new bond or do I then a clean title?
theoutlaw82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:23 AM   #2
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 33,694
do you have at least a "Bill of sale"?

Dunno abt MS, but when I tagged my XR here in AR, it was really esier than I had thought and only took abt 30 days to complete. Seems it would be that way in other states, depending on what hoops you have to jump thru. Good luck
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:44 AM   #3
theoutlaw82 OP
n00b

Yes I do have a Bill Of Sale. Getting the bonded title is the easy part. Getting a dirt bike registered for street use is not. Especially with a bonded title..
Old 04-26-2015, 06:10 AM   #4
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,722
You have to get a real tittle. if you cant get a real tittle on it you are shit out of luck. If you can get a real tittle it's as simple as putting the right lights on it and other requirements for it to be legal and have it inspected then go get your tag.

so you need to back up and stop asking the nice tax ladies how do I get this on the road and ask them how do I get a new tittle. once you have that turn around and ask them can I get its tag now. if they give you one that's the last step. get a sticker and ride it.

I tried once to get a dirt bike a tittle that didn't have one and it wasn't worth the trouble. Where you the one on here a few weeks back that asked about this and I told to NOT start with a dirt bike that didn't come with a clean tittle?

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:31 AM   #5
theoutlaw82 OP
n00b

No. I haven't posted on here since last year. I don't know what state you are in Switchblade but in Mississippi if you don't have a title then a bonded title is the only option. My problem is not a lost title. My problem is that no one ever titled the bike to begin with and all I have is a bill of sale.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:44 AM   #6
EnduroRdr
Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoutlaw82 View Post
No. I haven't posted on here since last year. I don't know what state you are in Switchblade but in Mississippi if you don't have a title then a bonded title is the only option. My problem is not a lost title. My problem is that no one ever titled the bike to begin with and all I have is a bill of sale.
Stay out of the Gulfport DMV. Probably ran by some nosy bitch with a power complex. You will do better going to smaller town like Wiggins. I plated an XR200 using a bonded title. Got the bonded title with just a bill of sale. Have a local LEO run the vin first just to make sure it come up clean, not stolen, or previously titled somewhere.

I went to DMV in D'Iberville to do mine they didn't care that the title was bonded.
Now, that was about 8 years ago, but I suspect it is same. I ran into a guy last year that plated a 4 wheeler in Pascagoula. I really think it is up to the person at DMV. Once they submit the paperwork in the system it just flows, nobody at state level in MS double checks it to make sure it is street worthy as manufactured. Hell I see tons of those little mini trucks from Japan all over MS with plates on them. You just have to go through the right person at DMV - stick with small town offices.

EnduroRdr screwed with this post 04-26-2015 at 07:50 AM
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:20 AM   #7
theoutlaw82 OP
n00b

Ya I went to the Gulfport DMV. I'll try Wiggins. But I think has to be done in the county you live in. The lady at the Gulfport office said they had no record of it ever being titled but it listed as off road use only in their system.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:20 PM   #8
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoutlaw82 View Post

I'm in Mississippi, and the reason i asked if you where the one that posted about plating a dirt-bike a few weeks back was because someone posted a few weeks back from down that way and I didn't remember who it was.

I will say again, a bonded tittle is shit as far as the DMV is concerned. And as you stated it is going to come up as a off road only bike. The ONLY option you have is to find someone nice that will work with you to get that bonded tittle pushed through and changed to a real tittle, and try to get them to have the off road only left off.

there is one other option. if you can get that nice person to help you get a dirtbike tittle then you can still get the thing inspected my the HWP and get them to inspect it and say yes it has been converted to a street bike and they will issue you some paperwork to get a tag.

I had a XR400R and I had the same problem, it was never tittled, and when I went to see about it Honda showed a lean against it. I went to teh local dealer that sold it the the guy I bought it from a few years before and they said nothing was owed against it and that they didn't have the paper work anymore where it sold. There was notning I could do. I couldn't get a tittle on it.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is online now   Reply With Quote