User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2014, 09:40 AM   #1
JPDenny OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
OK - AZ Trip

I'm planning a trip from Tulsa, OK to Casa Grande, AZ, any suggestions for the route?
JPDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:52 AM   #2
maximus_flavius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
When ya goin? How long a time ya got?
maximus_flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:30 AM   #3
sstracke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
What kind of roads do you like? Twisties, sweepers, slab, Indian Roads, etc...?

If it were me, I would ride the 40 to Santa Rosa, drop down on the 54 to the 60 to Datil, the 12 to the 180 to Alpine. the 191 (one of the best roads, anywhere) to the 70, then 60 to the 79. Cut over at Florence to Coolidge to Casa Grande.

This route will take you through the high desert of NM (VLA facility is cool), pine forests and mountains of eastern AZ, the Phelps-Dodge copper mine, the San Carlos Apache reservation, small towns (Globe, Miami, Superior) and, finally, saguaro-filled desert.

As there are a limited number of north-south roads in Arizona, east of the 17, you really don't have a lot to choose from - but, with what there is, you have great options, based on what kind of riding you like/want. Mountain twisties, sweepers that run down the Mogollan Rim, and interstate or interstate-like highways with curves that beg for a bit of throttle.

If you're going during the winter, you will need warm gear - it will probably be cold most of the trip, if not the entire way. The 191 gets up to over 8,000 ft elevation, so snow could be an issue. Have you been in Amarillo during the winter? Damn.

This time of year, it may be better to ride to San Antonio and ride the 90 to Van Horn - even so, it could still be bitterly cold. Heck, it was 77 degrees, here, yesterday. Today, it's going to get up to 50...maybe.

Never make predictions - especially about the future. Casey Stengel
sstracke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:40 AM   #4
DestinationUnknown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Does Hwy 191, from Clifton to Alpine close regularly, or more of a random snow event? I checked the AZ Dot site but didn't see any relevant info. Going to be out that way in 2 weeks or so with someone. Would love to ride it again. Last time was in April which still had light snow in the tree shade, around a peak of 9200 ft based on the gps.

Maybe NM 152 as well.

All dependent on temp of course.
DestinationUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #5
sstracke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
There is a "Nordic Center" at Hannagan Meadow, with some nice cross-country skiing. So, you should probably assume that snow is not random.

Check the weather before you attempt the 191 during the winter - regardless of what you drive/ride. Note: it climbs to 8,000+ feet twice between Hannagan Meadow and Morenci.

From AARoads.com -

"U.S. Highway 191 at mile marker 226. This section of highway sees an average of 70 cars per day (2006 traffic data) - yes, only 70, making this the least trafficked state highway in Arizona."

The last time I rode it (April 2014), I saw six (6) other vehicles between Hannagan Meadow and Morenci (68 miles of road).

Never make predictions - especially about the future. Casey Stengel
sstracke is online now   Reply With Quote