User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2014, 03:03 PM   #1
dvs OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Texas (Houston) December Trip Ideas

Hey all, there's a bunch of Canucks looking to come down and seek some warmth and good DS roads/trails in the Houston neck of woods. We're planning on coming down for Dec 7 to 13.

We're doing our research but was wondering if some peeps that are more in the know of the local roads and trails in the area might point us in the right direction. We're looking to hit as many trails (single track, dual track, gravel, etc) as possible with connecting roads.

Our plan is to identify a base camp where we can leave the truck and then take day trips or do a multiday loop, but either way be back at base camp at the end of the ride.

Thinking of motelling it on the cheap, I've done motorcycle camping before and would prefer to go light and fast.

if anyone can suggest a good base camp or some good roads/trails to hit it'll give us a great start.

Thanks for any and all inputs, we'll be reading through this forum to get some ideas myself in the meantime.
'02 GSXR 750 (for thrashing at the track)
dvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:43 AM   #2
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,323
I can help you in Central Texas or South Central Texas or North Central Texas. But Houston? Best thing I got for you anywhere near that Hell hole is north. There are routes available for the East Texas 450 (or 500). Google it. Ride reports here and on Two wheeled Texans. I routed some of your countrymen earlier this year in the Hill Country and (I think) they had a ball. pm mark96 here.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 10-19-2014 at 03:50 AM
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:33 AM   #3
dvs OP
Adventurer

Much appreciated! So Houston area's not a great base camp. Good to know. Thanks for the pointer I'll be reaching out later today, gotta do the breakfast thing with the family.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:20 PM   #4
maximus_flavius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvs View Post
Much appreciated! So Houston area's not a great base camp. Good to know. Thanks for the pointer I'll be reaching out later today, gotta do the breakfast thing with the family.

Any particular reason you wanna go to Houston? I wouldn't wish that on a broke dick dog. IMHO, y'all time would be way better spent in the Hill Country (Fredrickburg to Leakey area) or the Big Bend area.
maximus_flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:17 PM   #5
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,684
Big Bend should be at the TOP of your list. Great riding, NO traffic and great scenery. The REAL TEXAS lives there. Alpine, Marathon or Terlinqua or Ft. Davis are great areas to base from. Houston is a big city and nice as it is riding is not good there. PM if you need BB info. I have been there many times and heading that way in 2 weeks.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:34 PM   #6
dvs OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the response guys! Yeah, not married to Houston, we're dirt junkies and will go where ever has the trails that tide us through a Canadian winter! And that's damn long! :-)

I'll start researching Big Bend and if you guys don't mind pick your brain further on any interesting GPX files, if you got em.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:36 AM   #7
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,323
What bikes are you bringing?
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:50 PM   #8
Meriden
Yea whatever

Oddometer: 638
There is very little single track and what there is will be in a handful of riding areas. East Texas is sand and/or mud lanes with a few tracks through the national forests. Central Texas is poorly maintained dirt roads, some so bad that they are entertaining. South Texas is oilfield traffic. Hill country has some fun dirt roads if you know what's legal and what's not. West Texas is private property. The Big Bend area is the closest thing to good public dirt bike riding there is in the state. The common joke is that you need to bring two spares. It's 740 miles from Texarkana to Big Bend give or take.

Two more thoughts. The nicest weather I ever experienced in Big Bend was during the first week of December. And a Houston winter is pretty much like a St John's summer. (Okay, no Newfie jokes.)

Y'all go ahead. I'll catch up with you at the crash site.
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:03 PM   #9
dvs OP
Adventurer

Slow old guy, we're on DR650 and DRZ's. Planning on running knobbies.

Meridian, thanks. Given everyone's advice, we're heading to Big Bend now. It should be fun.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:32 AM   #10
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,834
two words...

Big Bend

Take it from a GTA transplant living in Houston

Central TX Hill country is fine but mostly secondary roads unless you have a local with you who knows what's open & what's not

Big Bend NP and Big Bend Ranch State Park for trail riding...well look up the ride reports
Old 10-21-2014, 02:07 PM   #11
Desert Skies
One brick shy...

Oddometer: 2,283
I spend a couple weeks in BB through New Year. Good riding in the Nat Park and Big Bend Ranch State Park.

One thing you must know about Texas. For a state this size, very little of it is public land. The residents of Brewster county are tolerant of motorcycles, well, for the most part. The one thing that will get you some negative feedback is to go blowing by a house on a private ranch road with a ton of dust in the air.
Tripn' with Tom Some pictures ZZ Rider - Tom Lowry Texas Blue - Tom Lowry

Desert Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:02 PM   #12
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,684
Keep in mind we Texans have a Huge Respect for Private Property. Trust me on this. Big Bend is your best place for dirt riding. The place is HUGE, bigger than most NE USA states. And alot friendlier. Unless you trespass then all bets are off.....
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:11 PM   #13
kenaroo
I am because i ride

Oddometer: 817
oh shit.. last time a bunch of Canadians came down to ride in texas, I was hung over for 3 months..

Never.. I mean never ....try to out drink Canadians..

what does your garage look like
http://www.garage-interiors.com

kenaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:56 AM   #14
Meriden
Yea whatever

Oddometer: 638
I'm in self-detox right now from spending the weekend at the Harvest with my Canadian neighbor and our buddy who originally hails from Louisiana.

Between the parks is an area called Terlingua Ranch. It's owned by an association of small owners and is covered with private roads. Some of the riding guides will include it in their maps. You're not likely to get into trouble, but there are a few militant owners out there who might try to stop a couple of riders with unfamiliar plates or call the Brewster County Sheriff.

If I were going this fall I'd be tempted to camp at Rio Grande Village for a few nights. The location will give you quick access to Old Ore Road and the River Road. Contact Big Bend Ranch State Park before going. They are friendly regarding riders, but certain roads are restricted to mountain bikes and equestrians. It's 60 miles from the nearest gas pump to the entrance of BBRSP so plan accordingly. There is some rough stuff at BBRSP.

Lodging is at the Chisos Basin Camp Ground (comfortable but far from riding) or at the Terlingua Ghost Town (close to riding but most of the places dumps by any first world measure) or at the Lajitas Golf Resort (expensive.) Plan now and make reservations if you want a couple of nights in a bed.

Y'all go ahead. I'll catch up with you at the crash site.
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:10 PM   #15
everlast
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I'm one of the other canucks! Thanks for the feedback so far guys!

Any more is very welcome, especially feedback on Alpine, Marathon, Terlinqua or Ft. Davis.

Ideally, we're looking for a central hotel to stay at as a home base.
everlast is offline   Reply With Quote