User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2011, 04:57 AM   #1
GypsyWriter OP
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,414
Talking Newest scoot - '71 CT90!

I didn't get pics because I bought it last night and haven't brought it home yet but...yeah. I have another bike.

The carb definitely needs to be cleaned and the battery charged (had a heck of a time getting it to turn over yesterday because the battery was deader 'n a doornail) but it's all there (well okay so no turn signals which I hope to remedy) and best of all there was a pink slip and current registration. My two main necessities (other than "in running condition").

I'm torn about doing anything to it although I'm itching to. The bike isn't in the best of shape but it's also not horrible - a beater bike to be sure, but no majorly terrible parts in the way of rust etc. I'm thinking either leaving it the way it is and just shining it up some, or going a more aesthetic route once I get the engine/carb running perfectly (either army-esque, steampunk, or make it a clean white/another-color bike).

In case I sound especially blah about the whole situation let me just add

Yeah, I'm a little excited.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...

GypsyWriter screwed with this post 02-23-2011 at 05:15 AM
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:36 AM   #2
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,373
These little bikes are getting right popular. Good find. I ran across a 1970 a while back in decent shape for 800 bucks. I wish I had bought it.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:10 AM   #3
GypsyWriter OP
Sarah

It came with the original toolkit and owner's manual which I'll be perusing this afternoon after work. I'm pretty excited: it's in good enough shape to run well but mediocre enough externally for me not to worry much about keeping it "pristine".

I also spoke to a gentleman last night who was selling his '86 CT110. That's the little CT I was originally interested in and it was indeed a nice bike but he was firm on $2000 and it was too rich for my blood. Great guy to talk too though and nice bike - hope to see him around.

Gah, I want to be working on it now! I'm going to do the paperwork this afternoon after work and probably go trolling through the local MC salvage yard to see what they have. It's going to be torture waiting until tonight for a truck to pick it up (it runs and is street legal but the carb is filling up too much and the battery is low). Dammit I'm excited but am stuck at work - suckiness!
Quote:
Old 02-23-2011, 10:53 AM   #4
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,882
Buy a new battery. Cost about $15. Batteries are critical on CT's.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:08 AM   #5
Woodsrat
Gone ridin'

Oddometer: 1,273
For what it's worth CT's didn't have blinkers in '71, at least in the U. S.

Eek!! More boring fiction--"One Last Ride in the Hoosier Revisited":
http://www.woodsrat.com
Woodsrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
GypsyWriter OP
Sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsrat View Post
For what it's worth CT's didn't have blinkers in '71, at least in the U. S.
I've read that too, or at least that it was optional. It's funny though as I have the controls for them on my handlebars. I suppose they can be wired in but with the 6v system it may be too much of a draw (plus where do I find 6v blinkers in our 12v world?).

I'd also want them so as not to draw attention: California regulations are kinda strict, I'd hate to get ticketed and have to plead my case in court...
Quote:
Old 02-23-2011, 08:53 PM   #7
GypsyWriter OP
Sarah

Talking

I finally picked it up this evening and brought it home. It was dark but it seems that whatever carb problem may have been resolved. The PO charged up the battery today so we took it for a very small spin. Man oh man will I need to upgrade or fix the suspension, that thing is seriously bouncy. Very different than my Wee (obviously), it seemed to redline at less than 10mph. I'm going to also have to relearn how to shift - TOTALLY different than a "normal" motorcycle.

More than likely I'm going to update a few things, not just aesthetically. What are some of the things most people upgrade first thing on these bikes? It's funny, it's such a different little bike but I really like it. Should be fun either way. :)
Quote:
Old 02-23-2011, 10:00 PM   #8
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,551
http://www.dratv.com/honcttrail90.html

You ll find all the new parts you need from here. New oem etc.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:58 AM   #9
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,692
Wonder if the oil has leaked out of the forks. Any sign of bad fork seals can be covered up by the protective bellows. ATF is the recommended fork oil and 20wt will make them seriously stiff. The rear "shocks" are more springs than actual hydraulic shocks. Aftermarket replacements are available but one has to be careful because many of them are made for heavy bikes and ride like a rock.

Shifting takes a bit of getting used to since whenever you step on the peddle it releases the clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahp View Post
I finally picked it up this evening and brought it home. It was dark but it seems that whatever carb problem may have been resolved. The PO charged up the battery today so we took it for a very small spin. Man oh man will I need to upgrade or fix the suspension, that thing is seriously bouncy. Very different than my Wee (obviously), it seemed to redline at less than 10mph. I'm going to also have to relearn how to shift - TOTALLY different than a "normal" motorcycle.

More than likely I'm going to update a few things, not just aesthetically. What are some of the things most people upgrade first thing on these bikes? It's funny, it's such a different little bike but I really like it. Should be fun either way. :)
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:46 AM   #10
Woodsrat
Gone ridin'

Oddometer: 1,273
I'm rebuilding a set of Ace 90 Hodaka forks and they had water in them. Fortunately the chrome surface the seals ride on are usable. Next up are a set off of a '71 CT and I figure they'll be just as bad or worse.

CT-90 forks usually didn't receive much in the way of maintenance and I've yet to see a set that weren't rusted under the boots. Fortunately the chromed legs are still available from Honda (p/n 51410-459-911) but they ain't cheap--$126 EACH at a discount price from MR Cycles, one of the on-line parts retailers. A rebuild kit is available on eBay which comes with springs, boots, seals, bushings, etc. and it's dirt cheap at under $30.

Rebuild your forks to as-new condition and then play with fork oil weights until you get a ride you like. ATF might be fine if everything else is right. Odds are you've got fourty year old oil in your forks if there's anything left in there at all.

The Yahoo CT-90 group is a wonderful source of information, too.

Eek!! More boring fiction--"One Last Ride in the Hoosier Revisited":
http://www.woodsrat.com
Woodsrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #11
D0N
Banned

Oddometer: 280
Thats weird... I just sold a 1971 CT90!

This is the forum to talk about CT90s. These guys are very knowledgable.

http://hondatrailcts.yuku.com/directory
D0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:33 PM   #12
MaineScoot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 530
Still no pics?
MaineScoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:10 AM   #13
XL-erate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:

Did you know that little bike has a 2-speed Hi-Lo subtrans? Has low 4 speed trail gears and high 4 speed street ratios too. There's a casting that sticks out on left side, in front of rear wheel. Right underneath it there's a lever that switches from front to rear, that's the subtrans shifter for Hi-Lo. You're probably in low range now so it revs out really quick. Just flip the lever and it'll top out around 45mph.
XL-erate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:42 AM   #14
GypsyWriter OP
Sarah

Grrr yeah still no pics. It's been wet every day since I got her which has cut into my fun, let's-work-on-this-woohoo time considerably. Last night I patched up some of the plastic bits but aside from poking around a bit I've yet to dig in.

Also I did check, it's in Hi gear already. I guess I'm just going to have to get used to the powerband of a 90cc engine.
Quote:
Old 02-26-2011, 08:44 AM   #15
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Grrr yeah still no pics. It's been wet every day since I got her which has cut into my fun, let's-work-on-this-woohoo time considerably. Last night I patched up some of the plastic bits but aside from poking around a bit I've yet to dig in.

Also I did check, it's in Hi gear already. I guess I'm just going to have to get used to the powerband of a 90cc engine.

Yes, but you can also possibly put a slightly larger sprocket in the front or a smaller one in the rear, especially since it has hi/low range. Unless it is fine for you for now.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote