Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,492
Bing Type 53 carb question(s)

I have a BMW R60/6 with the Bing Type 53 carbs:

In the above: does the o-ring for the idle jet (number 6, down inside the bowl, not the idle air mixture) get installed "around" the jet (number 5), or does it get put into the orifice and then the idle jet is screwed down against it?.........The diagram makes it look like it is place inside the orifice, but, we all know how these diagrams are...

And, another comment/ rant about Bing pricing: I emailed them to ask availability of the round "top" (number 17) and I was quoted $64.61 plus $12.50 shipping... holy shite! Mine works fine, it is just lacking the indexing tab, so I simply hold it in place whilst I tighten the cover/o-ring....

I was going to get new slides (number 9), because the bottoms of both, on both sides were uneven where they hammer-home on the idle-speed stop, but was able to simply file them smooth... nuh-uuh... not buying parts at THOSE prices!!

bpeckm screwed with this post 02-23-2011 at 12:28 PM
bpeckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Old 02-23-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
backdrifter
Wannabe rider

Oddometer: 1,363
HURRAY!!!! I'm able to help YOU with a question for once! I've very much appreciated your help on my build thread...

This is one thing I've already done - and yes, the o-ring gets installed on the jet itself. It's a tight squeeze. Took me a few tries to get the o-ring on the jet. Do it somewhere where the o-ring will be easy to find when you drop it, because if you're like me, you WILL drop it!

As for parts prices - shop around. I've found they vary quite a bit, and just because one part is cheaper at one place doesn't mean that same place will have the best price on another part. EUBMW, BMW Hucky, and your local BMW shop are all good places to check. And of course, eBay!

1973 BMW R60/5:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608166
backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:59 PM   #4
backdrifter
Wannabe rider

Oddometer: 1,363
Actually, that diagram is weird - definitely different than mine in my Clymer manual. My o-ring went over the screw head end of the jet and into a small slot right below the screw slot (if the screw slot was face-up).

That's an interesting diagram for sure...

1973 BMW R60/5:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608166
backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #5
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 5,905
You got the answer-- the o-ring fits on the idle jet. Best way to put the o-ring on is to set it on a flat surface and push the jet down into the o-ring. Having started the o-ring, yoiu can slide it the rest of the way. If it still wants to pop off, before you lift the jet from the table, slide the o-ring on with a fingernail. If the rubber seems sticky and doesn't want to slide, use a dab of Vaseline. The idle jet o-ring is important. Since the Type 53 carb uses the "idle air bypass" method to set the idle mixture, the fuel part of the mixture is determined by the jet, and any leakage around the o-ring can cause a mixture problem. With the "normal" mixture screw that controls fuel flow, it is less dependent on the jet.

I've not checked, but you might want to check with Hucky or Max BMW on Bing parts-- the Bing Agency traditionally has higher prices.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:53 PM   #6
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Thanks, guys... that's what I had done, but then in looking at the diagram, hmmm...

yes, I get most of my parts from Hucky, but for the BingStuff, I sorta assumed that he buys from them, but prolly not.... I will check with him! (Hucky's price on my little rubber choke thingys were about HALF of the Bing price...!!)