User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2014, 02:17 AM   #1
Stromcat OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
KTM 690r longevity

How long can the 690 motor be expected to last,and how easy is maintenance on these bikes? What sort of mileages are you guys running up on the 690r? I was just thinking about general reliability and ease of servicing.Cheers.
Stromcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:52 AM   #2
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,216
Servicing them is about as easy as it gets. Longevity is pretty much up to the way you ride em. There's a guy that posts here occasionally that was up over 85K miles the last I saw without any motor work. Myself, I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I flog the snot out of mine so I had to do a top end at 27K. The 690's certainly have their issues, but at the end of the day they are easy to address and even overlook since the reward is one of, if not the most fun bikes to ride there is.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:12 AM   #3
zxrider11
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
10,000 trouble free miles so far on my 2012 KTM 690.

Regular maintenance includes 3,000 mile oil changes, fuel filter changes every 5,000 miles, flush gas tank, and valve inspections every 7,000 miles.

The motors are strong, you just have to replace/upgrade a lot of bolt-on items that seem to be known weak points from the factory.

Here is a list of items I have upgraded/replaced so far:

Exhaust cannister - Wings $450
Hand guards, bark busters - Cycra CRM $150
Fuel filler neck - CJ Designs $200
Skid plate - ADV Spec $300
Rear brake lever - $150
Manual CCT - KTM Twins $100
Tank bolts - KTM Twins $100
Air filter - $50
Seat Replacement - Seat Concepts $250
Steering dampner - Scotts submount $500
zxrider11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:42 AM   #4
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Oddometer: 1,807
Took me about 15 min to change the oil on mine yesterday, about the same to clean the air filter and lube the chain.

But I like putzing in the garage, so I wouldn't care if it took all day.

"9 out of 10 voices in my head tell me Im crazy, one just hums"
wiswoodsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 12:30 AM   #5
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 783
The key thing to watch/listen for is the rocker arm bearing, which is designed poorly and wears quickly. KTM has redesigned this part at least once but the new part is failing as well. As long as you are checking the valves on a regular basis you should catch the wear on this before any catastrophic damage happens.

RoninMoto has over 130,000 kms on his 690. That's probably the highest mileage 690 that we know of.

Big singles are fairly easy to work on. No carb to mess with and you can modify the EFI with TuneECU.
DoD#1458 | GaijinRiders | 2010 KTM 690 Enduro
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:13 PM   #6
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
11K+ miles no issues that can't be easily solved, service is easy I do it myself. Singles will not have the life of mulit cylinger engines. 690s are very fun to ride.
Utah / Colorado http://tinyurl.com/lcy2yhu
Mexico http://tinyurl.com/lhgznun
coarsegoldkid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:07 PM   #7
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen View Post
The key thing to watch/listen for is the rocker arm bearing, which is designed poorly and wears quickly. KTM has redesigned this part at least once but the new part is failing as well. As long as you are checking the valves on a regular basis you should catch the wear on this before any catastrophic damage happens.

This is discouraging. I just ordered two updated part number rocker arms for my 2013.

I ordered:
75036061144 Rocker Arm Exhaust cpl. | 07 1 ea
75036060144 Rocker Arm Inlet compl. |07 1 ea

Do you know what the latest bad part numbers might be?
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:34 PM   #8
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
Do you know what the latest bad part numbers might be?
Lyndon Poskitt has had at least two of the newest versions also wear abnormally quickly while on his RTW trip. He has caught the wear before anything catastrophic happened.

I think you'd hear some pretty bad stuff from the engine before there was a break in the bearing. So just check your valves on a regular basis and check the bearing surfaces and replace them if you see wearing.

I hope that KTM would redesign this piece once and for sure but they've done it once and it still didn't fix the problem so I am not optimistic unless they re-design the whole top-end.

http://ktm690.info/index.php/Valve_Check

http://ktm690.info/index.php/690_Hal...r_arm_bearings
DoD#1458 | GaijinRiders | 2010 KTM 690 Enduro
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:53 AM   #9
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
My exhaust rocker bearing failed around 35.000 kms IIRC, there was a ticking noise that got worse until it seized completely, also damaging the cam. It had been replaced by KTM at 15.000 kms under warranty so wasn't that old...

Pyndon's new style inlet rocker failed after 80 hours or so, but it was the pin coming out from insufficient peening or something. He heard a small ticking noise and caught it before it came out completely, that would have been a catastrophic failure if the parts go through the engine... He has had another failure since but I don't know what it was exactly.

We now both carry a spare pair of rockers on our trip and listen for any suspect noises coming from the top end.

I've also had a stator failure around 30.000 kms, but that is unusually early.

Other than this there are a few reported cases of main shaft bearing and balancer shaft bearings failing and gearbox issues, fairly rare though. The rest of the engine should last a long time if you don't race it or always rev the piss out of it.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote